mandrake 8.1 / windows xp

You want to dual boot them? There should be no problem booting into Linux with loadlin if you're installing your WinXP on a FAT32 file system. I've never personally try this but, I think LInux LOader(aka. LILO) can let you boot into winXP fine. Just remember to install WinXP on a primary partition and Linux as secondary.

FYI: loadlin allow you to boot into Linux using kernel image from command prompt. All you need to do is boot into command prompt and you're ready to go. loadlin is also use when installing redhat from dos, you might remember the process when you need to go to dosutil dir and type install or whatever and you'll be brought to redhat installation screen? That's loadlin's work. You can download loadlin at http://freshmeat.net

G'luck :D

WINXP is on ntfs mode. What load program , name it ?. Installing win98se with mandrake or redhat was too easy.

It would nice if you instruct how install mandrake in steps.

Here's what I did to run XP/Mandrake on my Toshiba notebook.

The hard disk on this machine is 10G...

I made 3 partitions all 2G each....basically I like to keep my data and the OS on separate partitions...So I installed XP on the first part....which is left strictly for XP....I configure all my apps to run off of the second partition....I use the third partition for what I like to call my running data....just downloads, music, stuff that I need to burn to CD's....s**t like that...:o)....Once you've got XP up and running....fire up the disk management utility to configure the remaining hard disk space.....that's it....you don't have to do anything other than activate the free space....no need to assign any drive letter...NOTHING....go to install Mandrake....I knew from past expierences that Mandrake's distro basically requires a partition for the OS and a swap partition...again having done this in the past....I knew that a swap partition of approx. 400Meg seem to provide a fairly efficient running OS...So when you come to configure the partitioning part in Mandrake....you'll see your 3 partitions already along with the remaining free space partition...I used all of this free space except for approx 400 Meg to create a partition for this OS......and ofcourse the rest for the swap partition......choose what you want to install....and near the end of Mandrake's install process you'll be presented with a menu driven utility to configure which OS you'd like to boot your machine into.....which ofcourse can be changed through Mandrake once this OS is up and running.....and quite frankly....I like the boot loader selection menu from Mandrake over MS's....Voila....:o)

Hope this gives you some tips into doing your own install....GL...:o))

Originally posted by shafi

How to install mandrake 8.1/windows xp ?

Yeah I've used virtual pc. It works pretty well, but is slower than a slug. I've loaded Win98 and Redhat Linux 7.1 onto it without any problems whatsoever, configuration is really easy.

Just remember its really slooooow.

But it gets the job done.

:D

yep, automatically....here's what it looks like:

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

install=/boot/boot.b

vga=normal

default=linux

keytable=/boot/us.klt

lba32

prompt

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux

root=/dev/hda8

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append=" devfs=mount quiet"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux-nonfb

root=/dev/hda8

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append=" devfs=mount"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=failsafe

root=/dev/hda8

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append=" devfs=mount failsafe"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label=WinXP_Pro

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label=floppy

unsafe

Ciao...

2. Did LILO atomically generate the code? How does your code look like?

This tread is about mandrake, not about Virtual PC.

sorry man i was thinking about loading mandrake onto my xp machine using virtual pc. thats why i asked