HDTV Prices to fall?

Hi,

I am thinking about spending some bucks on a HDTV in the near future, but the prices seem ridiculous :angry: Like a 50"ish DLP tv is $3500? That is whack.

Back in the day, a 50" SDTV wasn't that expensive at all.

With HDTV broadcasts becoming the standard in 2006, will we see a price reduction in TV sets hopefully?

thanks

Hi,

I am thinking about spending some bucks on a HDTV in the near future, but the prices seem ridiculous  :angry:  Like a 50"ish DLP tv is $3500?  That is whack. 

Back in the day, a 50" SDTV wasn't that expensive at all.

With HDTV broadcasts becoming the standard in 2006, will we see a price reduction in TV sets hopefully?

thanks

585956354[/snapback]

Considering it should be alot more common (duh) they should.

585956354[/snapback]

I hope so. My g/f and I are planning on buying one in 2006 after our tax refunds come in.

I hope so. My g/f and I are planning on buying one in 2006 after our tax refunds come in.

585969621[/snapback]

hehe can't use my tax returns..I get back a max of 39 bucks a year from the US Treasury.

I think hdtv prices went up in the last 2 months or so. I have a sony 46inch crt hdtv and it was 1500 bucks now the same tv is selling for 1700 or more.

I'm now trying to get a 65" Mitsubishi and I can let the "small" tv go in my bedroom.

never quite understood this HDTV thing... why do you need to see television in strikingly good quality when the quality you get from a normal television is good enough as it is, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

...save your money and buy something more important...

never quite understood this HDTV thing... why do you need to see television in strikingly good quality when the quality you get from a normal television is good enough as it is, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

585981529[/snapback]

well depends on what you use it for. I personally do not care for super standard tv watching but I do like to hook up the pc it and gamez will never look better.

also it kinda helps old consoles too with compnent video, but the rez is still low.

I use hdtv for games and that's about it.

585981529[/snapback]

Why in the world would anyone want to watch color television when they have black and white? :rolleyes:

I have been a fool. I bought my HDTV 30" wide a year ago when they were hot, and now the very same unit is going for half the price. Moral of the story is 'Patience is a real virtue'

Everyone kept saying HDTV prices would fall. Here we are in the Summer of 2005 and HDTVs are still well average what the average American can buy. I don't see how Congress expected more then 80% of Americans to have a HDTV at the end of next year. Luckily then pushed it back to 2008 or whatever it is now.

I have been a fool. I bought my HDTV 30" wide a year ago when they were hot, and now the very same unit is going for half the price. Moral of the story is 'Patience is a real virtue'

585983548[/snapback]

It almost always is with technology.

Especially so with new technology.

Usually what happens is cheaper *and* better.

But of course one have to pick a time when you think "ok, no more waiting for something better, I'll buy now!" But I'm really the kind of guy that at least wait for that moment until the technology as matured a bit. I'd feel so cheated if I had for example bought a plasma when they were very "hot". They had all sorts of "baby diseases" back then.

You sound like someone who haven't had a good chance to compare the resolutions. :)

I thought the same thing once upon a time, back in the 80's when I used a TV adapter and a TV instead of computer monitor.

This is basically the same thing.

• 3 years later...

Wow, I didn?t realize a lot of people here think HDTV prices are still high. I just saw a couple of Sony and Samsung 26? HDTVs at Best Buy for around $600 and some 32? ones for about $650. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I would?ve gotten one already, but I have to wait for my current CRT to break down first (which may take a while).

Wow, I didn?t realize a lot of people here think HDTV prices are still high. I just saw a couple of Sony and Samsung 26? HDTVs at Best Buy for around $600 and some 32? ones for about $650. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I would?ve gotten one already, but I have to wait for my current CRT to break down first (which may take a while).

If you had payed attention, you would have noticed this thread is from M:p 2005 :p