• McAfee
    • Norton
    • Outpost
    • Sygate
    • Windows Firewall
    • ZoneAlarm
    • Other

Question

I use a combination of my hardware firewall and the built-in Windows Firewall, and nothing's ever gotten through, so apparently that combination works for me.

i think the problem with polls about firewalls is that as soon as a new version of a firewall is released, people's opinion can change, and so the poll sorta becomes invalid.

adding a new one has the same effect. say i've already voted. but then a new firewall comes out that i think is great. i can't change my opinion, and so the poll doesn't reflect current, up to date public opinion.

For firewall purposes I use my "Hardware Firewall/NAT router". For program access control I think Zone Alarm is the best

The firewall I will forever use is Astaro Security Linux. By far the best firewall ever. Why I say this? Because if you want a try Stateful Packet Inspection firewall most of the consumer ones don't cut it. Astaro has a alot to offer. Detailed realtime logging, Intrusion Protection, Portscan Detection, Content Filtering, and much more. This firewall is of course for the serious network security types - I'm one of them. I've used some of the offers from Linksys, Netgear and the likes but none of them gave me the added features I wanted that I found in Astaro. www.astaro.com

I thought it was a bad idea to mix firewalls. Even one hardware and one software. I have one with my router but have the windows one disabled.

Of the choices listed, "Hardware Firewall/NAT Router" is what I selected.

I also use iptables, built into the Linux kernel as my software router.

I've used the windows firewall for a long time with no problems at all. And I must say I'm an advocate of using the built0in stuff too. However, last week I decided to give Kerio a try .. I caught a lot of traffic (Im sure windows caught it too but since there are no notifications of any kind those go all unnoticed). So I can say, if windows had a nicer interface for the built in firewall it would be my choice but right now I'm sticking with Kerio ;-)