How to tell if network or server is slow?

We have a machine (p4 3.0 ghz, 1g ram) hosting all database for our ACT! contacts. (contact program) Lately I have users complaing about how it is slowing down. How can I tell if its our poorly put together network (I didn't install network), or the server can't handle the load? the network is poorly put together as in it is a ton of little cheap switches all tied together.

Ton of little cheap switches??? There is the problem.

Get the company to shell out for some decent 24 port 10/100 switches, and rackmount them..

That should clean up a far bit of the traffic.

And if it doesn't, and it proves to be the server, at least you will have a far more reliable network, that is easier to diagnose problems on. If they query it, mention that the network only caused half the problem, and you were unable to detect problems with the server due to the network problems.

are there any tests I can do to see if its the network? Yeah its bad, like lots of random cheap switches all hooked together, that were just added on as the company got larger.

Ton of little cheap switches???  There is the problem.

Get the company to shell out for some decent 24 port 10/100 switches, and rackmount them..

That should clean up a far bit of the traffic.

And if it doesn't, and it proves to be the server, at least you will have a far more reliable network, that is easier to diagnose problems on.  If they query it, mention that the network only caused half the problem, and you were unable to detect problems with the server due to the network problems.

585962986[/snapback]

If I may suggest, use Cisco/Linksys. :o

If I may suggest, use Cisco/Linksys. :o

585965297[/snapback]

We had 4 linksys hubs and 1 3com switch. I replaced them all with 3 HP Procurve 10/100 switches and notices a big difference.

We picked the procurve over cisco/linksys for two reasons. For one you don't have to pay a yearly maintenance agreement and you get a lifetime warranty with all of the Procurve network products. The second reason was the price.

Maybe try a troucerout command and see where traffic slows down.

Use a network sniffer if you have one or you know how to make one.

We had 4 linksys hubs and 1 3com switch.  I replaced them all with 3 HP Procurve 10/100 switches and notices a big difference.

We picked the procurve over cisco/linksys for two reasons.  For one you don't have to pay a yearly maintenance agreement and you get a lifetime warranty with all of the Procurve network products.  The second reason was the price.

585968238[/snapback]

I don't dig linksys supplies, but Cisco (Mother of Linksys) has faster technologies and is built for enterprise corporations. I go for quality, too. If it would cost an extra amount of money for better performance and a warranty, I would go for it any day.