Wireleess Networking

I got a Desktop here and my Laptop and they are currently networked but for my Bday i seem to be gettin a Wireless Network..gotta find out wat parts i need tho :s

Anyone kno wat ill need if I JUST only want to do 2 comps?

I thaught maybe a PCMCIA Card for my laptop and a USB Wireless Dongle for my Desktop..will that do it? will i need an access point for 2 comps?

thnx

-Digi

You can run the setup will only two wireless cards. PCMIA card for the laptop and a Wireless USB device. You would be runing in an ad-hoc mode. If you want to share the internet connection I would just get a Access Point and PCMIA card. Plug the AP into a hub/router along with your computer. Should get distance then with the USB - PC card setup.

would i be able to run a wireless network with ICS and filesharing with just a USB Dongle on my Desktop and a PCMCIA Card in my Laptop. wouldnt this be like a crossover cable in a normal network? coz this is wat im using now

thnx

-digi

You could purchase something like the D-Link wireless router with built-in print server for $179 and then a 802.11b wireless PC card ($89) for the laptop. This setup would allow sharing of internet connection, file sharing AND sharing of a printer. The desktop and printer would plug into the back of the router. I have been very happy with this setup at home.