"Kutaragi: PlayStation 3 "is not a game machine""

just an article about hype. its not out yet and won't be out for awhile, so to say it will revoulutionize entertainment in a year is just speculation to boost media coverage and to get the PS3 name out there.

"Users will be able to store their content in an online storage server called the 'Cell Storage.' And the Cell processor, when it's not being used, can refine the content's quality. We call it the 'aging' process. For example, users can 'age' their Standard Definition (SD) video and up-convert it to High Definition (HD) video. We have many plans [for the PS3], but this 'Cell Storage' service is something that we definitely intend to launch. By using the Cell's security feature, users will be able to rip DVDs that include copyright protection and lay it in the storage area to refine its video quality."
I hadn't read this before, sounds interesting.

just an article about hype. its not out yet and won't be out for awhile, so to say it will revoulutionize entertainment in a year is just speculation to boost media coverage and to get the PS3 name out there.

585967668[/snapback]

Yep, probably like the ps2 hype, that ps2 would the most powerfull console and other lies :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Kutaragi said Xbox 2 is actually Xbox 1.5:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-1.ars

1) IBM drew on the results of the same Broadband Processor Architecture (BPA) initiative that produced the Playstation 3's Cell processor in order to furnish the next-generation Xbox with a truly next-generation core that looks set to last at least the five-year life of the average game console.

2) Codenamed Xenon, the multicore PowerPC CPU that IBM designed for the Xbox 360 boasts a number of unique features that set it apart from any microprocessor seen to date.

3) This patent http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser...&RS=20050099417 (patent number 20050099417) that Microsoft was recently granted covers a method for using procedural synthesis to do real-time skinning of 3D characters. The basic idea behind the patent appears to be as follows. Artists using standard tools (i.e.., motion capture, 3D rendering tools, etc.) generate a character model along with a series of key poses in an animation for that model. This model consists of a set of bones that have been skinned with a deformable skin.

Kutaragi said the same thing about the PS2.

585968743[/snapback]

and what's so new about this?... :p Sony always says the same BS... take a look at this article from 2001... :rolleyes:

Thursday 24th May 2001? PRESS AND KUTARAGI SMASH XBOX, MICROSOFT FIGHTS BACK>

"Microsoft was finished before it even got started. They have no games." Kutaragi loses his rag. Microsoft responds. Miss at your peril>

The big guns are out, and Microsoft is under heavy fire. Despite constant denials from the company that it had begun to openly attack Sony and PlayStation policy at E3, chief Xbox officer Robbie Bach made several references during the companyis press conference as to the way Sony handled PlayStation 2. It was blatant, especially comments made regarding the troubled launch of the Sony machine. Yesterday the beast bit back, and SCEI President Ken Kutaragi certainly didnit mince his words.

Speaking to UK newspaper The Financial Times, Kutaragi claimed that,"Microsoft was finished before it even got started. They have no games."> He added,"Microsoft has already put itself out of the game. Retailers in the US are already disappointed? Microsoft does not understand the entertainment businesThe processing speed of their console is not fast enough and the graphics were rough [at E3]/u>./b"Retailers told me that on a dollar base, they expect 70 percent of their sales will come from PlayStation. The remaining 30 percent will come from Nintendo and Xbox, but almost all of that will be from Nintendo."/b>Microsoft was quick to respond today. "We did expect some reaction from the competition, but for Sony to react in such a way means we must be doing something right," head of UK Xbox marketing Richard Teversham told CVG. "Ultimately, whoever brings innovative games to market that people want to play will win. Weive shaken the whole industry with Xbox. We set a new bar and now the rest of them are trying to match it. At the end of the day it means better games, more choice and better gameplay.

"Rather than slagging off the competition, we want to focus on innovative gameplay. Kutaragi may wish it was over, but weive only just begun," said Teversham.

Round 2. FT.com posted a story on May 20 yet again claiming that Microsoft had failed to ship development kits to major third-parties. Larry Probst, chairman of EA, was quoted as saying, "The beta systems have not yet been sent. We need them so we can polish the games. Microsoft has a lot to do over the next few months. They are on a death march right now."Infogrames chief Bruno Bonnell also confirmed in the piece that final hardware had not arrived at the publisher. At E3 in Los Angeles last week, CVG was told that Metal Gear Solid 2 developer Konami had not made receipt of the now badly needed kits and had unofficially suspended all internal development for the machine until Microsoftis bags of chips fell through the letterbox. Microsoft today claimed the report was false. "Kits have arrived at all key developers. The kits have arrived at EA," said Teversham. His remarks have been clarified by Infogrames. "I have no idea why people are saying we have no dev kits," UK managing director Stuart Furnivall told CVG today. "I was party to a conversation at E3 last week exactly to that effect. We certainly want more, but to say we have none is not true. Weire very pleased to get the machine, as we have in excess of 10 games in development for Xbox at the moment, some really good product. "Teversham added, "Weire under no illusion that we have it all to do. But we had 84 games at E3: how many did PlayStation 2 have last year? Weive already got games that surpass PlayStation 2." Furnivall could not confirm when kits actually arrived at Infogrames, and EA remained unavailable for comment today, but it seems the hardware has literally arrived in the last few days. Whatever, it is obvious Microsoft has cleared the final hurdle, but that launch date of November 8 is getting terribly close?

Source: CVG

isnt that exactly what happened in japan anyway?

585968834[/snapback]

"Microsoft has already put itself out of the game. Retailers in the US are already disappointed? Microsoft does not understand the entertainment business. The processing speed of their console is not fast enough and the graphics were rough [at E3].

They were commenting in the US, and look how popular the xbox is in the US.

It's not a computer for children. In the sense that our goal has been [to create] a computer that's meant for entertainment, you could say that the original PlayStation and PlayStation 2 had existed as steps towards the PlayStation 3.

Hmm, hindisght is 20/20, right Ken? I recall the PS1 being released as a test of the waters, so to speak. Sony at the time had no idea that it would fare so well. Indeed, its success was viewed as a fluke by many industry insiders and even sony themselves. But now, it was just a step in Sony's grand scheme to put a "media supercomputer" in our living rooms. As was pointed out, the same BS was said about the PS2. In the end, it was a console. It played DVDs. No matrix-like virtual worlds. No supercomputer-like clustering. It just played video games and movies. According to my Sony Hype Analyzer (pat. pending), I can conclude that good 'ol Ken is trying to say something to the effect of:

"The PS3 will play games. It will play movies. It will connect to our custom online service. It will store video and play back video. You may be able to share some media content with friends online."

But he has such a grandiose way of putting things, no?

Hmm, hindisght is 20/20, right Ken? I recall the PS1 being released as a test of the waters, so to speak. Sony at the time had no idea that it would fare so well. Indeed, its success was viewed as a fluke by many industry insiders and even sony themselves. But now, it was just a step in Sony's grand scheme to put a "media supercomputer" in our living rooms. As was pointed out, the same BS was said about the PS2. In the end, it was a console. It played DVDs. No matrix-like virtual worlds. No supercomputer-like clustering. It just played video games and movies. According to my Sony Hype Analyzer (pat. pending), I can conclude that good 'ol Ken is trying to say something to the effect of:

"The PS3 will play games. It will play movies. It will connect to our custom online service. It will store video and play back video. You may be able to share some media content with friends online."

But he has such a grandiose way of putting things, no?

585968861[/snapback]

Best way of doing it, let everyone else spend money and run the risk of adding such features to their consoles, then when Sony realises its really popular steal all the ideas from other competitors and then every fanboy will be blinded by Sony loyalty.

Sickening.

There's no doubt in my mind that I will pick up a PS3 at some point in time, but I'm not falling for any of Sony's hype. I didn't fall for it with the PS2 and I'm certainly not falling for it now. If you expect nothing more than another Sony system but with much better graphics, you won't be disappointed. If you take all Sony's hype as it is, it's virtually inevitable that you will be disappointed when the console comes to launch - looking back at the PS2 hype only confirms this.

Fair play to Sony though. I agree completely with berz's prediction up above, but they're certainly getting the hype going pretty well already.

how in the world can you make video to hd-video and makingthe quality better?

585968914[/snapback]

umm its called trans-coding, meaning that it goes through and filters the video stream and converts it to 720 or 1080, it would take way to long on a pc so basicly why its not a reality for pc users and another thing is hdd space.

Well i will not be buying a ps3 thats a fact.

This just proves me that they lost the match and they know it, so know they are trying to cover the lost, and get whats left before it is too late.

Same thing happend with ps2 and here it is again.

Why is all the option they offer is exactly what others did before them and they still try to state that they invented it. That is the way i understand what they said in that article.

Am i wrong?????? or not???

Well anyway, now i need to see what Nintendo will come up with before making the final decision about buying the XboX 360.

umm its called trans-coding, meaning that it goes through and filters the video stream and converts it to 720 or 1080, it would take way to long on a pc so basicly why its not a reality for pc users and another thing is hdd space.

585969031[/snapback]

Nuh-uh, Transcoding is taking a video stream and changing the bitrate and nothing else, Upsampling is taking lower res video and upsampling it to a higher res, it wont look as sharp but it will be better than standard definition.

Kutaragi said Xbox 2 is actually Xbox 1.5:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-1.ars

1) IBM drew on the results of the same Broadband Processor Architecture (BPA) initiative that produced the Playstation 3's Cell processor in order to furnish the next-generation Xbox with a truly next-generation core that looks set to last at least the five-year life of the average game console.

2) Codenamed Xenon, the multicore PowerPC CPU that IBM designed for the Xbox 360 boasts a number of unique features that set it apart from any microprocessor seen to date.

3) This patent http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser...&RS=20050099417 (patent number 20050099417) that Microsoft was recently granted covers a method for using procedural synthesis to do real-time skinning of 3D characters. The basic idea behind the patent appears to be as follows. Artists using standard tools (i.e.., motion capture, 3D rendering tools, etc.) generate a character model along with a series of key poses in an animation for that model. This model consists of a set of bones that have been skinned with a deformable skin.

585968273[/snapback]

And how does more information about XBox pertain to a thread about the PS3 at all??

:rolleyes:

Everyone seems to think marketers are such evil people that do nothing but lie. It's they job to talk about the possibilities of their product. Not what will actually happen, but what could happen. Sure, we can see through it because we're all pretty smart folks here, but what's the point of continually ragging on every press release that comes out for every console?

Best way of doing it, let everyone else spend money and run the risk of adding such features to their consoles, then when Sony realises its really popular steal all the ideas from other competitors and then every fanboy will be blinded by Sony loyalty.

Sickening.

So what your saying is that sony take all the good ideas from their competition, in other words the things people actually want, put it together without the things that fail and give that to the customers.

Hmmmmmm. I wonder how the playstation and PS2 were so popular. Also makes you think why they haven't run their company into the ground. Those ******s how dare they take notice of what their customers are looking for in a game console.

As for "stealing" ideas, er did you notice that the xbox is made by microsoft.