Mysterious Linux

I've finally taken the plunge and installed Suse linux.... :D

I stayed up *late* last night trying desperately to get my Fujitsu FDX310 ADSL modem to work, but to no avail.

I've searched this forum, searched google, and searched for so many different combinations of query, i'm now at a loss as to how to carry on.

I'm now realising first hand why Linux is seen as the "dark horse" of the OS world by Windows users - cos it's so different and "hands on".

Can *someone* please tell me where i can find a complete, clear, detailed n00b guide to how drivers and hardware installation works in Linux (i'm using suse) and anything else linux for that matter. Searching Google and this site has brought results far too vague or unrelated.

The drivers for my modem here come with some instructions i'm finding almost impossible to follow, not least because i have no idea what g++ is. I just cant figure this out.... Windows has been holding my hand for too long..... :(

This is so frustrating. I *know* the info is there, because linux users form such a huge community, but i cant find what i need in the haystack of info..... :wacko:

g++ is a compiler.

In order for you to install these sources as a module, you need to install the "Development System" packages from YaST, this includes kernel sources, c/c++ compiler and other development tools that are needed for this task.

Fire up YAST (From the KDE "Start Menu"), navigate to "Install and Remove Software", Filter -> Selections and choose C/C++ Compiler and Tools and also Kernel Development.

Remember to have your CDs or DVD handy.

I don't know, I rarely use Linux. But, since less hardware is supported for Linux OS than Windows, you'd better have all the drivers for Linux available before installing. This will consume you lots of time if there happened not to be any support for the OS from the manufacturer. Correct me if wrong. I think the most difficult drivers to find for Linux are VGA cards drivers.

Ah-uh!

It seems SuSE 9.3 ships with "eciadsl", search for this package in the YAST and install it.

Version: 0.8_20040228

Release: 18

Medium: DVD1

Path: /suse/i586/eciadsl-usermode-0.8_20040228-18.i586.rpm

Group: Hardware/Other

License: GPL

Size: 4.36 MB

Homepage: http://eciadsl.flashtux.org

Tip: make sure you are using g++ for the compilation.

Directions:

Untar the files - go to the save location directory and type

make

when that has finished, type

make install

follow the instructions and edit the files suggested

/etc/ppp/peers/adsl - to add username

go to /usr/local/bin

run

./eci-doctor

This should check the modem can be found and sync up, it will then prompt for a password if none has been supplied and then connect.

I have set the VP/VC to 0/38 as standard for BT lines in the UK.

Normally all that you should then need to do is run

/usr/local/bin/startmodem

each time you start the PC and it will automatically sync and login.

For a newbie, this may be a but daunting.................... It is so much easier when the distro has the drivers you need already built into it when you install the OS the first time.

Anyway, these instructions are all issued from the command line (terminal) except for "go to file /etc/ppp/peers/adsl - to add username" where you have to use GEDIT or another editing program that you have to modify this file. This whole process is compiling your driver into your system. If you are familiar with the old DOS commands, this shouldn't bee too hard. At the command prompt, navigate to the folders described above and issue the commands asked (as root, I believe). If you have troubles, just post back here. There are lots of helpful folks here to get you through.

Barney

Edited by barneyt

Fire up YAST (From the KDE "Start Menu"), navigate to "Install and Remove Software", Filter -> Selections and choose C/C++ Compiler and Tools and also Kernel Development.

Remember to have your CDs or DVD handy.

585972123[/snapback]

Thanks for the suggestion.... :) Much appreciated....

I assume after i install these tools/compilers, i'll have to compile the driver?

I'm at work at the mo, but when i get home i'll try this.

Is it faily easy as the instructions on the driver page state? I have never compiled on linux before!..... :blush: I suppose what i'm asking for are instructions much clearer than the ones given........ :whistle:

Many Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion....  :)  Much appreciated....

I assume after i install these tools/compilers, i'll have to compile the driver?

I'm at work at the mo, but when i get home i'll try this.

Is it faily easy as the instructions on the driver page state? I have never compiled on linux before!..... :blush: I suppose what i'm asking for are instructions much clearer than the ones given........  :whistle:

Many Thanks

585972153[/snapback]

if you extract the files with ARK read the README file and the INSTALL file

if you extract the files with ARK read the README file and the INSTALL file

585972171[/snapback]

Thanks for your reply. :-)

Here's what i've done so far:

I did untar the files, went to the directory in the console (just guessed i needed to use the console) and typed "make". It did nothing. There isn't even a file called "make" in the directory. This is where i got stuck. :cry:

*Could someone please explain how to load and use g++ to compile my modem drivers as this is assumed to be known in the instructions given (hence why i'm struggling).*

A general resource of guides explaining how to set-up/install drivers in linux and how it compares/differs to windows would be extremely useful too...... (but not as important as the above!)

Many Thanks!

Quick double-check here to make sure you have your compiler installed.

At a shell, type g++ and hit enter.

If you get bash: g++: command not found, then you don't have it installed yet. If you get g++: no input files, then you have your compiler installed, and we can start looking at why you cant compile.

Quick double-check here to make sure you have your compiler installed.

At a shell, type g++ and hit enter.

If you get bash: g++: command not found, then you don't have it installed yet.  If you get g++: no input files, then you have your compiler installed, and we can start looking at why you cant compile.

585972314[/snapback]

Thanks for your reply Mr. Jensen.... :)

I sense you know exactly my problem from your answer...... which is reassuringly specific..... :) Much appreciated....

Thanks for sorting the other threads...... I've been desperately trying to get some specific answers.

I'm going to try all this as soon as i get home....

Many Thanks..... :D

BTW..... Any URLs for some n00b info on Linux (suse) you'd reccomend...... I've found sprawling messes so far. The suse site, now they've been taken over by Novell is terrible....

Why is there all these threads for essentially the same topic? I'm becomming confused chasing this guy all over the place.

Anyway... At least you tried a little. :)

When you say you untarred the archive, what exactly did you do? Also you have already been told by daPhoenix that these drivers are included with Suse and that these are installable via Yast. For someone who claims to have read 'extensively', you curiously appear to have missed this. And there is indeed a 'haystack' of information out there (indeed I would describe it as more of a mountain) but the fact that you appear unable or unwilling to search through it, does not make your case appear any more appealing or endering to others. Consider if you will where these other people got their information? Consider where for example daPhoenix got his information about these drivers being included on the CD? Do you think perhaps he has some kind of magic mirror that he can put these questions too?

There is no mystery to Linux period. What there is is a lot of cold hard work and effort. But like any skill, it does get easier with time.

GJ

Edited by raid517

Anyway enough already with all of the Indian mystic sh*t. :) All I'm saying is that you are going to have to learn how to search man - and how to read. It is going to take you more than a day to learn Linux - and it will simply be impractical to do this if everytime you come accross something you don't understand (which will happen very frequently) if without doing much work on your own you simply expect someone to hand you the answer.

A small example you might find helpful.... It took me 4 months to figure out how to install the drivers for my DVB digital TV card and to get it working. And that was just so I could do something as trivial as watch TV on my PC.

Now though I can do it in 10 minutes.

You are probably very likely to encounter several situations like this yourself.

That I'm afraid is the level of commitment that is sometimes required.

GJ

Edited by raid517

I stayed up *late* last night trying desperately to get my Fujitsu FDX310 ADSL modem to work, but to no avail.

I've searched this forum, searched google, and searched for so many different combinations of query, i'm now at a loss as to how to carry on.

585972015[/snapback]

but the fact that you appear unable or unwilling to search through it, does not make your case appear any more appealing or endering to others.

585972382[/snapback]

It seems to me that alsheron is indeed trying, and putting forth plenty of effort. Yes, he is new to Linux, so is having a more difficult time in being able too sort out the wheat from the chaff. He indicated he has found and followed various links given to him by Google and that he has opened them and read what was there, and tried to follow the instructions but is having problems. The only "lack" I can find in his posts is perhaps detailing out a bit more on the exact fault message, rather than "it didn't work". But I cannot fault him for effort in trying to set up a new OS for the first time. He doesn't have a network connection in SUSE, so must boot Windows to search, reboot to Linux and try a few things, then boot back to find out more. And, without a network connection, it is not like he can 'apt-get' any new modules and do things the 'quick & easy' way.

Yes Mark, but he was told that these drivers are included on the DVD - which he appears to have skipped. And I am simply attempting to impress on him that generally much of this information really already does exist. Or would you disagree with this?

It may not be a lack of effort, but perhaps some of that effort is a little misdirected? Perhaps what he really needs is a link to some tutorials on how to achieve some basic tasks in Linux?

I will certainly spend a little time looking for these for him. But again they shouldn't be all that difficult to resource.

GJ

Why is there all these threads for essentially the same topic? I'm becomming confused chasing this guy all over the place.

Anyway... At least you tried a little. :)

When you say you untarred the archive, what exactly did you do? Also you have already been told by daPhoenix that these drivers are included with Suse and that these are installable via Yast. For someone who claims to have read 'extensively', you curiously appear to have missed this. And there is indeed a 'haystack' of information out there (indeed I would describe it as more of a mountain) but the fact that you appear unable or unwilling to search through it, does not make your case appear any more appealing or endering to others. Consider if you will where these other people got their information? Consider where for example daPhoenix got his information about these drivers being included on the CD? Do you think perhaps he has some kind of magic miror that he can put these questions too?

GJ

585972382[/snapback]

Very.....very interesting post - again. I did indeed miss the replies by daPhoenix since i was trying to get answers from a couple of threads asking slightly differnt questions. (I'll be more patient with a single thread in future)

I apologise profusely to those giving me help and suggestions for posting in separate forums and missing replies, really i do..... , although i don't like your tone, raid517, I'm fairly new on here, to posting on forums in general, and absolutely new to Linux,.... there's simply no need. Venomous posts are useless..... If you're trying to "educate" me on posting protocol, you're going about it the wrong way, and in any case, don't bother.

Many Thanks to almost every one else who posted. You've all been very helpful.... especially daPhoenix, barneyt and markjensen. I'll try all this stuff asap when i get home.....

I can't wait..... :D :D

OK well as I said, this isn't difficult. I spent a lot of time reading though these myself. As I assume did a lot of people who wanted to learn Linux.

Anyway, here is a good place to start.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22linux+tutorials%22

Search time: 0.37 seconds

And yes I am trying to educate you (since you say you are new to posting) that every time you have a problem simply reaching for the posting button may not be the best approach. I am also attempting to impress on you that if you expect everything to work instantly - and to work without effort, without research and without extensive reading, it is simply not going to happen.

If you find this advice 'unhelpful' then I'm afraid there's not much else I could say that would help.

GJ

Edited by raid517

Take up the off-topic bickering about "tones" and "effort" directly with each other in the PM system. :crazy:

I don't want to see it here.

EDIT: Some clean-up performed and posts removed.

Edited by markjensen

Lol so what problem were you having installing this driver again? :D Why don't you just install it via Yast? It would be much quicker! :D Since it is available this way, Yast would seem like your best approach. No need to be connected at all to use it.

GJ

Edited by raid517

Thank you Alsherton for your nice comment.

Please do not get frustated with anyone here. We are a great group of folks who are MOST enthusiastic about Linux! I think that sometimes, the enthusiasm and willingness to help is so strong that it spills over as impatience and being short tempered. I can whole heartedly assure you that this is not the intent of anyone here......

Just read the answers carefully and ask all the questions that you have. This struggle that you are having is what we all faced (and face) as noobs. It is called the "learning curve" and it is indeed a challenge.

Using YAST is a great idea. Just copy the file to a folder you create for it in Nautilus or whatever file manager you are using, right-click on that file in Nautilus, and choose "Install with YAST". That should do the trick.

Just hang in there.... you'll be rewarded in the end.

Barney

Edited by barneyt

Mmm... well I am certainly enthusiastic about Linux. However I do think I do give good advice. I spent my first two years learning Linux doing little else but reading as many books and tutorials as I could lay my hands on. I doubt I personally would have gotten very far in the learning process if I hadn't done this - and indeed I feel I have certainly gained a great deal of insight from it.

Unfortunately my tone can sometimes be a little flat and factual. Perhaps even blunt. But I don't imbue Linux, or any other OS, or any computer with any kind of human qualities - therefore any advice I give in this respect is generally always wholly unemotional. I do find it difficult to applogise for things I view as simple cold facts - facts such as searching for answers first is often more productive than simply asking - as these are facts (or at least appear to be facts) that have been made evident to me by my own efforts. However if anyone does find my advice unhelpful or offensive, I do of course appologise for this.

I guess I have simply become used to certain ideas, and am rather hard set on such things as reading FAQ's, searching for tutorials, subscribing to mailing lists, researching material from my local library, learning from my Local Linux User Group and so on (indeed just as I did thoughout my years studying engineering at University) though clearly others do not find these methods quite so useful.

Again, my advice was simply intended to assist. If anyone has taken offense to this, then I assure you that this was not my intention.

Best regards,

GJ

Edited by raid517

Ok.... well......i'm home......and I've tried everything suggested so far.

Here goes:

Firstly, YaST doesn't include the package that i need ( i have the CD version and i think the DVD version was cited. :( This is a shame because it would have made this a lot simpler.

I installed g++ from the CDs using YaST and it seemed to work ok, but asked that i should install other components to keep dependancies valid.

I used ark to extract the files to a folder:

Humongous Image #1

and then I tried to follow the instructions by typing the command "make" into a console opened at the folder.... But i get these error messages:

Humongous Image #2

:(

I have a feeling that the wrong compiler is being used? it installed another (gcc) which i think is set to be default. The instructions explicitly state that g++ must be used, so i typed "g++ make" into the same command window, to no effect....

The error ourput is here again as the screenshot might not be very clear:

g++: make: No such file or directory

g++: no input files

ali@linux:~/Documents/eciadsl-usermode_0.5> make

cc -Wall -g -c -o eci-load1.o eci-load1.c

cc -Wall -g -c -o pusb.o pusb.c

In file included from /usr/include/linux/usb.h:5,

from pusb-linux.c:27,

from pusb.c:12:

/usr/include/linux/usb_ch9.h:106: error: syntax error before "__le16"

/usr/include/linux/usb_ch9.h:108: error: syntax error before "wLength"

/usr/include/linux/usb_ch9.h:233: error: syntax error before "__le16"

In file included from pusb.c:12:

pusb-linux.c:61: error: redefinition of `struct usb_device_descriptor'

pusb-linux.c: In function `pusb_control_msg':

pusb-linux.c:246: error: structure has no member named `requesttype'

pusb-linux.c:247: error: structure has no member named `request'

pusb-linux.c:248: error: structure has no member named `value'

pusb-linux.c:249: error: structure has no member named `index'

pusb-linux.c:250: error: structure has no member named `length'

pusb-linux.c: In function `pusb_endpoint_submit_read':

pusb-linux.c:406: error: `USBDEVFS_URB_QUEUE_BULK' undeclared (first use in this function)

pusb-linux.c:406: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once

pusb-linux.c:406: error: for each function it appears in.)

pusb-linux.c: In function `pusb_endpoint_submit_write':

pusb-linux.c:438: error: `USBDEVFS_URB_QUEUE_BULK' undeclared (first use in this function)

pusb-linux.c: In function `pusb_endpoint_submit_int_read':

pusb-linux.c:471: error: `USBDEVFS_URB_QUEUE_BULK' undeclared (first use in this function)

make: *** [pusb.o] Error 1

ali@linux:~/Documents/eciadsl-usermode_0.5>

Any suggestions?

Edited by markjensen