Interpretation of 'Football'

My problem with the NFL is that you know they are going to waste either their 1st or 2nd down with a two or three yard run. That essentially makes it three downs to get 7 or 8 yards and it slows down the pace of the game.

I am somewhat partial to Canadian Football (bigger field, more passing, more scoring) but the talent level is no comparison. Canadian Football has only the three downs but they don't waste one with a two or three yard drive up the middle.

Football will ALWAYS be Soccer. American Football is for tools :) Play a real game like Rugby or something. :) :)

585978862[/snapback]

agreed! :laugh:

American football sucks anyway.  It is SO boring to watch.  The only thing I can think that is more boring to watch then American football is Baseball and Golf.

80% of the time, NOTHING IS HAPPENING in American football.  People are just standing around looking serious.

Give me some real sports!  Like Hockey, Soccer, or Basketball.  Where something is actually happening, and real athletes are in a real endurance contest.

585978844[/snapback]

Yep. I hate how it has sooo many stops and pauses in the game. Continuous play is (Y). I <3 soccer.

American football sucks anyway.  It is SO boring to watch.  The only thing I can think that is more boring to watch then American football is Baseball and Golf.

80% of the time, NOTHING IS HAPPENING in American football.  People are just standing around looking serious.

Give me some real sports!  Like Hockey, Soccer, or Basketball.  Where something is actually happening, and real athletes are in a real endurance contest.

585978844[/snapback]

But in the end that is your OPINION not the truth buddy.

But in the end that is your OPINION not the truth buddy.

585978881[/snapback]

Of course it is my opinion. Thanks for stating the obvious for us all.

Enough with the trolling comments. Members who make "Football sucks" or "Soccer sucks" type comments will get warned.

sorry, I thought I was in general discussion. I forget how personal people take my stupid opinions. :cry: :cry: :doctor:

I do believe it is the National FOOTBALL League.  And if I'm not mistaken, isn't there a National FOOTBALL League, Europe (NFL Europe) now??

I noticed you didn't mention THOSE teams in your list.

:sleep:

585978609[/snapback]

i think there is an american football league in europe now but am not certain, it is a bit of a minority sport in the uk and not one that i am clued up on.......hence the reason that i didnt mention those teams in my list.....

i apologise for getting the name of the new york team wrong, bit of a typo copying from the nfl website.

The funny thing here in North America is that most people find soccer boring compared to american football etc.I have spent countless hours trying to get people interested in soccer

585978861[/snapback]

I don't understand why people can find American Football entertaining when the half the time there in a "timeout". World Football is so much more fast passed and fun to watch IMO.

i think there is an american football league in europe now but am not certain, it is a bit of a minority sport in the uk and not one that i am clued up on.......hence the reason that i didnt mention those teams in my list.....

585978971[/snapback]

There is an football leage, it called NFL Europe. ITs where a lot of future players go to get better before they enter the NFL

I don't understand why people can find American Football entertaining when the half the time there in a "timeout". World Football is so much more fast passed and fun to watch IMO.

585979189[/snapback]

because of the hits... but the TV stations need to do a better job when using mics so we can hear the sound of the HITS...

I heard this on TV and is should solve everything:

Football is Football unless its Football

585979189[/snapback]

I don't understand how anyone can find people running around kicking a ball for 90 minutes - without a score, or maybe 1 - 0, or 2 -1 worth watching? IMO

If everyone had the same taste - it would be a pretty boring place now wouldn't it..

Until you are interested in a game - your never going to pickup on what makes that game interesting to its watchers.. In American football there are clear cut plays, there's clock management, there what can be game determining decisions - do you go for it on 4th, or punt it away.. There is that 30 yard pass that is caught or not caught by the fingertips.. And then a 250 pound guy slams you to the ground - did he hold on to the ball? There is that 40 yard kick with 2 seconds left on the clock to either win or lose the game.. There is etc.. etc.. etc..

In soccer I see a bunch of people running around kicking a ball back and forth.. Now honestly - I seriously doubt that is the case - even though thats what it looks like to me ;) Until something in the game gets my attention - that is what it will always be, doesn't matter how many other people in the world find it the best game, etc..

This doesn't mean that soccer sucks, or football sucks, or that golf is boring, etc.. it just means your not interested in that sport..

You have your opinion, I have mine - yours is wrong, mine is right - its all good :rofl:

I love football! :yes: i mean European football, of course (soccer for USA). although you need to know the rules for find it interesting.Its the sports king for Europe and Southamerica, and our best players are known in Africa and Asia. So, the european football is not so boring if the half of the world enjoy watching it. I think the americans doesn?t know what they are loseing... :pp:pp :rofl:: :laugh::

Someone once said that Association Football (or Soccer) is un-American because it has a goalkeeper. Hockey is likewise un-American because it has a goaltender. In all American-based team sports, any player can contribute to the offense of the team and scored points. In hockey/soccer we have a player dedicated to preventing offense that typically wears either distinct colours or equipment. It is representative of a class-based society where people have dedicated roles.

That was probably said some time ago before the designated hitter in baseball emerged. The concept seems to hold up for the MLB-NL, the NFL and the MBA.

what is the ball called in euro football?

we call it a soccerball, and we call a american football ball a football.

what is it called in rugby?

p.s. field goals and PATs as well as punts involve the foot.

Football - we call it around Europe but Americans prefer to say Soccer.

I think Americans are wrong, i don't know who came up with the name first but Football is played with the feet, American Football is more like Rugby.

Its inappropriatly named and you can tell Americans came up with the word soccer to correct themselves  :rolleyes:

585978205[/snapback]

Actually, Americans didn't come up with the word soccer :p Here's how the word soccer came about:

We have to thank the students of the 1880s for the word "soccer". It

seems it was the practice amonst the well bred students of Oxford to

abbreviate words whilst adding "er" to the end; "brekkers" for

breakfast for example.

On asked if he wanted to play "rugger" (i.e. the "rugby rules") a

student replied "no, soccer", an abbreviation of "association", or the

"association rules", i.e. the rules of the Football Association in

London.

"Footer" was also used, but could have referred to either code.

David Pickering's "Soccer Companion" (Cassell, 1994) names the student

as Charles Wreford Brown, later an England international and F.A.

vice-president."

Source here: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=6442

So it appears the word soccer originated in Britain (those crazy Brits :happy: ), rather than in the U.S.

For sake of argument... I would assume an american who called a sport football would be talking about American football, the same if they were to say soccer... it's easy to determine what they're on about.

Ignoring this though, it would make more sense if they were known by what they really are:

Football is football (screw "Soccer")

American Football should be called "American Rugby" (since it has more in common with the sport) or maybe even "Pansy Rugby" (all that heavy padding :rolleyes:)

Anyway that's my view :p

No such team as the New York Eagles. It's NY Giants and Philadelphia Eagles.

And as far as the original question goes. . I personally have NO idea where the name soccer originated from for use in the States. All Wikipedia says is

585978833[/snapback]

Hey man, don't forget there is also the New York Jets!!

isnt there some sport called footeball or something :p. but yeah, its not a big deal. i know that the euros are talkig about soccer when they say football. Anyone with a brain bigger than a peanut can figure out whats going on pretty fast.

Axel, NO.

Rugby is commonly called Rugby Football. Look at all the unions, like SARFU South African Rugby Football Union etc...

"Football" shouldnt specifically apply to soccer... :rolleyes:

Axel, NO.

Rugby is commonly called Rugby Football. Look at all the unions, like SARFU South African Rugby Football Union etc...

"Football" shouldnt specifically apply to soccer... :rolleyes:

585979737[/snapback]

Sorry, that's only my perception of it. American football seems to bare a greater familiarity to to "Rugby Football" as opposed to "Soccer" or English/European Football

Football will ALWAYS be Soccer. American Football is for tools :) Play a real game like Rugby or something. :) :)

585978862[/snapback]

Well, surely there's something odd about American football, when the players feel they have to wrap themselves up in all that padding. Not terribly manly, IMO. :rofl: