[HOWTO] Get connected to a NetWare Server

We use NetWare Servers at where I work, and I run Fedora Core 3 on my notebook, which doesn't come with all those extra Novell features that SUSE Linux 9.3 or Novell Linux Desktop does. So, I started searching for a way to connect. I found Novell Client for Linux (the open source project), but never could get that installed and working correctly. I finally figured out how:

What'll you need:

• ncpfs-2.2.6-3.i586.rpm
  • ncpfs-devel-2.2.6-3.i586.rpm
  • libncp.so.2.3

NOTE: Depending on what packages you've already installed, you may need to install more then what is listed above.

Mount a NetWare Server

• Open a terminal and type:
    ncpmount -S servername -A ipaddress -U username -P password -V volume/path -m mountpoint

NOTE: The -U and -P are optional. If they are not specified, then you will be prompted for your username and password.

servername = The name of your server.

ipaddress = IP address of that server.

username = Fully distinguished NDS user name for the server you are trying to connect to, without the leading period.b

volume/path = The volume and patch of the server you are connecting to.

mountpoint = The full path on your workstation which will serve as a mount point for your server.

-m = Allow multiple connections.

If you would rather have a GUI frontend, instead of using the terminal to mount, you can now download Novell Client for Linux and it will mount what's needed under your /home directory. Enjoy!

NOTE: I'll post links to those items needed in a few moments.

Might I point out (for any FC users), that instead of manually downloading and installing the RPMs, you can just do a yum install ncpfs to let yum install the current version correct for your system. It is in the base repository, so you don't need to ensure you have any specific repository added into your config.

Might I point out (for any FC users), that instead of manually downloading and installing the RPMs, you can just do a yum install ncpfs to let yum install the current version correct for your system.    It is in the base repository, so you don't need to ensure you have any specific repository added into your config.

585979052[/snapback]

Good point... something hadn't thought of :unsure: Thanks!

And one thing I might add when I tried this is sometimes, you need a hacked version of Novell Netware in order to access specific servers, which was the case when I wanted to get access to the university server.

And one thing I might add when I tried this is sometimes, you need a hacked version of Novell Netware in order to access specific servers, which was the case when I wanted to get access to the university server.

586004079[/snapback]

What version of NetWare? Seems to work just fine with 6.5 right out of the box.

• 4 weeks later...