Roller Hockey Terms

Hi,

I've been plahing hockey for quite a while and although i am familiar with the terms i would like to know for certain what each of these means. and the general rules of the game

definitions id like to know:

- deke

- check

- minor penalty

- major penalty

... thnkyou

-rni

deke= doing a quick move getting around someone (or around the goalie putting ball into the net)

check=hitting someone with your shoulder

minor penalty= 2 minutes out for doing something "minor" such as elbowing

major penalty=5 minutes in the box for something major, such as getting into a fist fight

yay hockey post. but too slow to post anything useful. although these terms are used in regular hockey too :)

check=hitting someone with your shoulder

585980410[/snapback]

You've given a description for a bodycheck.

There also is a stick check that would involve tying up your opponents stick so that they cannot shoot the puck.

Also you will commonly hear the terms forecheck and backcheck.

When a forward forechecks they chase and put pressure on the puck carrier deep into the opponent's zone with the purpose of forcing the opponent to make an rushed and ill-advised pass that could be intercepted.

When a forward backchecks they hustle back into their own defensive zone and try to tie up a trailing player rushing in on the attack.

A foreward that forechecks and backchecks particularly well would be known as a 2-way player.

n.b. Please note that I am ignoring the "roller" aspect of this thread and just answering with general hockey terms (they should fit every variation of the sport).

You've given a description for a bodycheck.

There also is a stick check that would involve tying up your opponents stick so that they cannot shoot the puck.

Also you will commonly hear the terms forecheck and backcheck.

When a forward forechecks they chase and put pressure on the puck carrier deep into the opponent's zone with the purpose of forcing the opponent to make an rushed and ill-advised pass that could be intercepted.

When a forward backchecks they hustle back into their own defensive zone and try to tie up a trailing player rushing in on the attack.

A foreward that forechecks and backchecks particularly well would be known as a 2-way player.

n.b. Please note that I am ignoring the "roller" aspect of this thread and just answering with general hockey terms (they should fit every variation of the sport).

585983299[/snapback]

hey don't forget...

HIPCHECK > * :D

Nothing like seeing people tumble over. heh

Ahhh...yay for hockey! Please come back soon (at the pro level at least...I get enough of the amatuer stuff everyday at work..)

a deke is usually faking from left to right, or from right to left

585980565[/snapback]

Don't forget the "YoungBlood" move (dropping the puck back to your foot and then kicking it back up to your stick).

Woh, I just read the trivia. Not only did Keanu Reeves appear in the film, which I never noticed but Peter Zezel and Steve "Stumpy" Thomas also had roles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092272/trivia