WWDC 2005

I doubt they'll ever implement FM/AM radio functionality because they want everybody to use iTMS instead. The 5th Gen iPods should really be an update to the iPod Photos... iPods with colour screens.

My iPod ideas:

? Drop the iPod Photo and give the original iPod a colour screen and photo viewing

? The ability to switch between colour screen and mono (mono saves battery but disables photo features)

? Bluetooth connectivity (no need to connect your iPod to your Mac/PC with a cable, cable only for charging)

? Support for Linux and Windows 98/ME users

? FM radio

Things I want and don't want:

Want - iPod mini with colour screen?

Want - iPod Shuffle 512mb moved to 1gb and 1gb moved to 2gb

Want - Dualcore G4 Powerbook with cheaper RAM,

Want - More fixes for 10.4.2

Want - Mac Mini with a CORE compatable graphics card and 512mb ram as standard, maybe a faster processor.

Want - Powerbooks with h.264 hardware decoding (graphics card) meaning the powerbooks should handle 1080i.

Dont Want - G5 Powerbook (It will probably not be good in first revision, also the PB is already warm at the back, i dont want it boiling; its aluminium ffs)

I expect to see the Apple Tablet Mac, the one who's patent was recently approved. Maybe an early model or something?

Things I want and don't want:

Want - iPod mini with colour screen?

Want - Dualcore G4 Powerbook with cheaper RAM,

Want - More fixes for 10.4.2

Want - Mac Mini with a CORE compatable graphics card and 512mb ram as standard,  maybe a faster processor.

The only thing that you dont whant that i whant its the G5 Powerbook... i know its hot with a G4 chip but i'm now imaging how it gonna run :p

Dan

Want - a fix for tiger that will make it work properly with older versions of pro apps *COUGHDVDSTUDIOPRO2COUGH* so I don't have to upgrade :angry:

? Drop the iPod Photo and give the original iPod a colour screen and photo viewing

Isn't that just an obtuse way of saying "drop the monochrome ipod"?

? The ability to switch between colour screen and mono (mono saves battery but disables photo features)

How exactly does this work?

The major power draw in the iPod is the hard disk. The type of pixels in front of the backlight won't make one lick of difference. It's just like your powerbook: pressing cmd+ctrl+opt+8 (in 10.3) doesn't make the battery life any better.

? Bluetooth connectivity (no need to connect your iPod to your Mac/PC with a cable, cable only for charging)

You'd only have to connect the iPod ONCE via bluetooth: you'd die before it finished.

Furthermore, if you're close enough to bluetooth sync why not just plug it in anyway?

If they added bluetooth I would expect it to be for things like allowing your phone to access your iPod contacts or connecting to a wireless headset. Even then those are mostly "gee whiz" features.

? Support for Linux and Windows 98/ME users

You're asking for a re-write of Quicktime & iTunes to support an operating system that hasn't been on the decline for 5 years and Linux - It's just not worth the effort.

Besides, if these people aren't willing to upgrade their computers every so often (the way 95% of the world gets windows is pre-installed on new hardware) then what are the chances that they'll

• a) have the money to plunk down for an iPod
    b) Be willing to take part in the "halo" and grab a mac mini

? FM radio

585984885[/snapback]

I think Apple is quite happy to leave that one to the iPod accessories guys.

TandbergUSA has announced hardware h.264 encoding for all of it's products (video conference gear for businesses) - the cheapest stuff tends to cost more than a loaded powerbook. I doubt Apple will be shipping hardware h.264 decoders any time soon, their goal is to move new computers - why make a "lowly" powerbook 1.67 GHz able to decode 1080p today using fancy dedicated hardware when they could ship one next year that does it on a 2.3 GHz G5?

Given the nature of high-defenetion video I just don't see Apple investing much resources outside of the CPU/GPU to improve performance. When you're watching an HD video most people aren't simultaneously running Doom 3 or final cut pro at the same time. Apple still doesn't make use of hardware MPEG-2/3/4 decoding - I see no reason for them to start now.

I'm not expecting very much at WWDC. The entire product line has been updated in the last 6 months (with the exception of the iBook), the new OS is shipping, and most of the pro apps were bumped recently. That's not to say I don't have some money put aside "just in case" something cool comes out, but I expect to end up spending it on a couple more airport expresses and an isight.

There won't be a 10.5! They're jumping right to 10.6, "Lion," as the final OS X release. OS 11 is in the works as well, but barely anything has been done on it as of yet.

585981798[/snapback]

Where did you get that information? As far as I can determine, they haven't trademarked "Lion", but they have trademarked "Leopard", "Lynx", and "Cougar".

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/07/20030724025054.shtml

585984885[/snapback]

? How do you propose that they offer this option to "switch" screens?

? Bluetooth would be far too slow for syncing your library.

Q: What is the data throughput speed of a Bluetooth connection?

A: Bluetooth transfers data at a rate of 721 Kbps, which is from three to eight times the average speed of parallel and serial ports, respectively. This bandwidth is capable of transmitting voice, data, video and still images.

(from Bluetooth FAQ)

585985261[/snapback]

Theres already a 1GB shuffle out...

And who would be crazy enough to go through 2GB of music, with no screen? Unless they absolutely love shuffle...

why will 10.6 be called Lion? Isn't it all OS X codenamed a felid?

585985329[/snapback]

All of the versions of OS X have been named for big cats. Last time I checked, a lion would qualify.

i dont want to see pb updates considering i just bought a 15 inch. it makes me feel like a failure inside... a 5g ipod would be cool, and an ibook revision, possibly a whole new design considering the current model has had the same design for how long, what since 00 or 01?

I read a rumor about 2GB and 4GB iPod shuffle coming out and I think it's incredibly stupid.

It would be a nightmare to navigate more than 500 songs without screen.

And I don't think there will be an iPod shuffle with screen because it goes against the whole "Life Is Random" campaign.

The most reliable rumors suggest the new breed of flash-based iPods, due this spring, will contain a display screen.
-appleinsider

they also stated that 2 and 4gb ones are unlikely given that the source it came from has been wrong on numerous occasions.

i dont reallt care if the ipods are updated.. i'm happy with mine now, dont want to feel like its outdated :p however new flash line would be nice.

what i would really like to see is new ibooks. these puppies need some love from apple.

-appleinsider

they also stated that 2 and 4gb ones are unlikely given that the source it came from has been wrong on numerous occasions.

i dont reallt care if the ipods are updated.. i'm happy with mine now, dont want to feel like its outdated :p however new flash line would be nice.

what i would really like to see is new ibooks. these puppies need some love from apple.

585993552[/snapback]

yea, i agree, i think what is in need is a new ibook revision, they are badly outdated. i dont expect a pb update since they were just updated this jan so i dont think its quite there yet. perhaps later on but i dont think now. ipod revisions maybe, i think there is a chance at a 5g ipod showing its face which i am clueless as to what they can do to the current design to make it better. it will be interesting!

the only thing i can think of for improving the ipod.. is give them longer batterly life.. as the photo and the mini have longer life then the regular 20gb model. and add colour across the range. i dont see another price drop happening as we had one this year already. i cant see them adding any other features to it really. would be nice to see some totally new gadget from apple :) rumors are very quite at the moment

I don't see any of the consumer lines being updated. Powerbook G5 is impossible at the moment. The heat produced by a single G5 is tremendous and they said at a conference call 3 months or so ago that they had a hard time getting a powerbook g5 to function correctly. I think they called it the mother of a thermal problems.

However, it is Apple, so it may be possible. I personally can't see anything come out at all. At the best an updated iBook line but those might not come out until late summer due to the new school year starting, plus the iBook is more consumer then pro developer which is what WWDC is all about.

Same goes for the iPod, but then again lately the iPod sales have flattened a little and Apple has enough revisions up their sleeves to have customers buying. (Which is the reason they don't come out with a color screen mini, fm tuner capable, etc feature in their iPod, they do it increments so they get repeat customers)

@ roadwarrior and the evn show: like I said, they are just ideas. :) And I had no idea Bluetooth was so slow... :/

@ the evn show: In responce to your questions...

1. Yeah, I guess you could put it that way

2. I was thinking that you could go Settings > Screen on your iPod and then choose mono or colour - but since you said the screen doesn't effect the battery...

3. Like I said above, I had no idea Bluetooth was so slow. I hate cables and wires - so I thought a wireless iPod might be nice.

4. Not everyone has OSX/Win2k/XP - the idea was for the iPod to be compatible with more computers.

5. An FM Radio is a pretty standard feature that almost every other MP3 player has built in; the iPod shouldn't be any different.

hmm... get a free ticket accross the channel on my parents, let them go shopping while i go nick a powerbook from the world wide developers conference...

in all seriousness though, i want an update to the powerbooks even if just slightly by december, hoping for ati's rumored h264 hardware decoding. that would let the powerbooks play 1080i

I'd like to see a mid-range displayless Mac. I want something more powerful and expandable than a Mac mini, but not as high-end or big as a Power Mac. Basically I want to see a system specced like iMac G5, without a display attached to it.