89th Indianapolis 500

i was about to ask this question but i googled it and got my answer.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/12370

why do they drink milk at the end of indianapolis 500?

Milk became the drink of champions after Louis Meyer, the winner of the 1936 Indianapolis 500, was photographed gulping down a bottle of buttermilk, his favorite drink. Apparently, his mom had recommended the drink, claiming it would refresh him.

The photo found its way to the desk of an executive at the Milk Foundation who, seeing a rare promo opportunity, "made sure that from that year on the winner of the race received a bottle of milk to drink." A tradition was born. Not surprisingly, the National Dairy Council supports this ritual, calling the celebratory chugging of the milk, "a winning example for people everywhere who are looking to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle."

Anyway, this started a tradition and symbol of victory at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - a tradition, established and maintained by the Speedway, that has spanned more than five decades. The victory milk is just one of may long standing traditions associated with the Indy 500, but if PETA has its way, it will soon come to an end. The organization is looking to end the drinking of the milk, claiming it to be a "beverage born out of cruelty to baby calves" and a "racist drink"...

in case someone else had that question. friggen PETA, a "racist drink" :rolleyes:

well, 50 laps to go. patrick is still hanging in there...except for the stall, i must say i'm pretty impressed.

lol @ PETA

Crazy fools.

585986552[/snapback]

Funny, PETA scream and accuse people of being unfair, treating animals badly, and being inhumane yet some of them send death threats, stalk, and harass people over animal rights.

I want to know how drinking milk is considered racist. Sounds like someone needs some additional education before they start using words that don't even apply to their accusations :rolleyes:

She really got screwed over by the decision to pit early. The fact she had to cut back and run on a leaner setup to be able to finish just didn't give her the hardware needed to win. Shame, really, but I'm glad she has the talent and isn't just a pretty face.

585987206[/snapback]

And she is a pretty face :D

She really got screwed over by the decision to pit early. The fact she had to cut back and run on a leaner setup to be able to finish just didn't give her the hardware needed to win. Shame, really, but I'm glad she has the talent and isn't just a pretty face.

And she is a pretty face :D

585987214[/snapback]

Yes, she is very much so, but she is also a true racer. It was nice to see her admit she made rookie mistakes, too. She just seems like another modest race car driver who happens to be a woman.

clean start so far. not really a fan of oval racing...but indy is special.

Just wait until next week at Texas...Indy sucks...no banking at all. :D

i was about to ask this question but i googled it and got my answer.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/12370

in case someone else had that question.  friggen PETA, a "racist drink"  :rolleyes:

585986316[/snapback]

Hmmmm...I dont like PETA mostly cuz they are a bunch of wussies, but I also happen to think that promoting milk like that is pretty shameless. Milk is the most horrible thing you can put in your body next to cigarette smoke. I dont care about the delicious cows being slaughtered and whatnot. I hate milk for health reasons. The racist drink thing is kinda weird though, I'd like an explanation for what the hell thats supposed to mean.

Milk is not comparable to cigarette smoke... :unsure: Unless you are drinking milk straight from the cow, you have nothing to worry about.

Anyways, man I was on my feet hoping Danica would pull it out but the more Scott Goodyear was talking about fuel enrichments the more I came to realize she wouldn't be able to hold on. Great race, though.

One thing that really irritates me about racing, and is probably a big reason for me not really wanting to follow it, is the stupid caution laps. I think NASCAR finally changed on this and won't allow races to end on caution, but how can the damn Indianapolis 500 end on a yellow lap? Is it because the caution happened on the 2nd to last lap or is that how the IRL always is?

One thing that really irritates me about racing, and is probably a big reason for me not really wanting to follow it, is the stupid caution laps. I think NASCAR finally changed on this and won't allow races to end on caution, but how can the damn Indianapolis 500 end on a yellow lap? Is it because the caution happened on the 2nd to last lap or is that how the IRL always is?

585987468[/snapback]

Someone hit the wall at the end.

I agree, the cautions make the race lame. I was switching between the repaly of the Grand Prix and the Indy 500 and every time I came back to Indy they were on a caution. Now I'm watching the Coca Cola 600 and it's going to caution every five minutes. Christ, a minute ago they had to stop and fix the damn track.... This is why I just stick to the Grand Prix. These cautions ruin the flow of the race.

Well, I know why there was a caution in the 500, I'm just wondering if the IRL has the same rule as NASCAR when it comes to finishing a race on a yellow lap. I mean, crashes will always be a part of racing at such high speeds with that many number of cars, and the number of cautions during a race doesn't bother me too much. It's at the finish where I find it ruins the experience.

I mean, look at this for example:

Say you are in 1st with 2 to go. Your team member is at 20th place and your rival team has a guy right behind you in 2nd place. If you want, couldn't you just have the 20th place guy cause an accident so you maintain and hold on to victory (since you cannot pass or have position changes during a caution)?

Not to mention when you have a race that has been exciting and had many lead changes and good racing with little cautions. Say you have 3 guys battling for 1st with a couple laps to go when someone waaayyyy in the back of the pack loses control, goes into a wall, and the caution comes out. The guy who will get 1st place and win the race is determined by who crosses the white line first, NOT by the guy who had to make a perfect pass on the last lap at full speed. That's my main concern. It kind of ruins the moment.

Oh well... :)

i agree, it does kinda sucks. those all out, mad dashes down the finish seem more and more rare these days.

Milk is the most horrible thing you can put in your body next to cigarette smoke.

585987319[/snapback]

Mmmkay. :laugh:

But back on topic, Danica did a great job. (Y)

I was there at the event at the inside of Turn 1... got some good views at a few wrecks in that position. And you should have heard the explosion of cheers when Danica took the lead and kept onto it until the end. Then it kinda went dead and most people left, especially when the caution came out right there at the very end.

I shot some video, maybe I can post up some clips. Right now I'm sunburned like hell (forgot sunblock) so it's complete pain just typing this reply. My hands are so sunburned it's not funny... :p

i agree, it does kinda sucks.? those all out, mad dashes down the finish seem more and more rare these days.

585987848[/snapback]

Coca-Cola 600 last night gave one of those rare occurrences. GREAT finish! Despite a record 22 caution flags.

Anyway. Yeah considering all the mishaps the fact that she was in the lead with less than ten laps to go was pretty incredible. Probably could've won if she didn't have to drive conservatively because of fuel fears. First time I've watch an Indy 500 for more than 20 minutes in a loooong time.