Cable Modem

Whenever I turn my computer on it loads the os (winXP) and reboots three times, it does that because of my cable modem (Ericsson PipeRider), it restarts until the modem connects to the network.

Is there a way to avoid this?

Do some of you experience this also, or is it just me?

I have an Ericsson PipeRider and it's never done that to me. I usually leave my computer on all the time, but even when I don't, I haven't had that problem. Are you using the USB connection?

Yep I'm using USB.

At first this wasn't hapening but a couple of months ago it started doing this, I know a couple of people with the same problem.

I've got a terayon cable modem and it used to do that to me in the USB port. My computer was brought in '99 so USB is a bit dodgy on it. Running Win XP also. It's now plugged in through the ethernet card and it works perfectly. Dont know if this will help, but thought I'd note it.

- ZX

yeah, sounds like the software that is required to run when using USB is causing the problem. Get a nic card for $10 and you should be set.

Try upgrading the USB driver? go to this page and choose your model..

http://www.aastra.com/products/cablemodems/

(ericsson sold their cable modem business to aastra telecom..)

Also...maybe you need to reset the modem? Couldn't hurt.. unplug the modem for 10-15 seconds, then plug it back in. See if that helps? Whenever my cable modem starts acting flaky, this usually fixes the problem.

Spyder you were right, it was the USB driver, after the update the problem disapeared :D

I owe you one.

Neowin boards are better than the ISP's technical support, by far.

Originally posted by AlexMC  

it was the USB driver, after the update the problem disapeared :D

glad to hear it. better still is your fix was free ;)

I used it via USB and finally got sick of the reboots and just hooked it up via NIC card which I had to go out and buy for 15 bucks because time warner cable wouldn't give the NIC card to me for a reason I still don't know as of yet. He had them on the truck but refused to give me one.