Who Will Win the 2005 NASCAR Nextel Cup?

who do you think is going to go home with the NASCAR Nextel Cup trophy this year?

I'm really want to give my vote to Dale Jr but he's getting off to a pretty rough start this year and losing Tony Eury as his crew chief did not help either. But I still think he'll bounce back and be a factor in the Chase for the Cup like he was last year. And hopefully he won't lose 3 positions in the last 2 races like he did last year. :o

I don't think Jr. stands a chance- he's gotten waaaay to cocky- and he doesn't have a reason to be. He hasn't done anything great in his career so far, but I'm sure one day he will win a championship. Right now though he doesn't have a good team around him and waaaay to many distractions (doing ads for every product know to mankind). I think Jimmy Johnson will win it this year (I hate to say it). They've got a really strong team surrounding him. I also think Tony Stewart has a really good shot at it since he always turns it on at the end of the season and JGR seems to be getting their stuff together.

It's so hard to pick a winner this early in NASCAR, but those are just a couple of my picks :)

I'd agree with DreAming. I think Johnson is a strong candidate. He was close last year and the Hendricks team seems to have just gotten stornger. I think he and Gordon could even finish 1-2.

I don't think Jr. stands a chance- he's gotten waaaay to cocky- and he doesn't have a reason to be. He hasn't done anything great in his career so far, but I'm sure one day he will win a championship. Right now though he doesn't have a good team around him and waaaay to many distractions (doing ads for every product know to mankind).

586005928[/snapback]

Unfortunately you're right on all counts. I only hope that Junior can pull it together and get some top 10 finishes (or even better top 5 ones) here in the next few races. He's still in the Chase as it stands but he's only 50 points from being out (again).

I think Jimmy Johnson will win it this year (I hate to say it). They've got a really strong team surrounding him. I also think Tony Stewart has a really good shot at it since he always turns it on at the end of the season and JGR seems to be getting their stuff together.

586005928[/snapback]

JJ is not one of my favorite drivers but I don't think it would be a bad thing if he won the championship. I'd rather have him win it then Gordo get another one. On the other hand, I really like Tony and would be very happy to see him get another championship.

It's so hard to pick a winner this early in NASCAR, but those are just a couple of my picks :)

586005928[/snapback]

Yeah, I know but they're already picking who's going to win the Superbowl in another thread and that's farther away! :)

Just saw this on NASCAR.com: Link

Steve Hmeil's (now acting as Dale Jr's interim crew chief) son Shane has once again been suspended from NASCAR for substance abuse. :no:

How dense is this kid? They caught him once, did he think he'd get away with it this time? And he's willing to throw away a NASCAR ride for what? a quick high?

Hopefully this doesn't indirectly affect Junior this week at Dover as Steve has to worry about his son...

Steve is or at least was a good crew chief. Some may remember he was Mark Martin's crew chief through the 90s about (1992-1996) I think. I'm a big Martin fan but I was just a kid and can't remember everything, back then lol.

And yes Shane Hmeil is an idiot. I saw him in a DEI car in about two years, probably not now. He should be completely kicked out, make him run in the ARCA series or just non Nascar sanctioned events/divisions.

<wishful thinking>

Jeff Burton

</wishful thinking>

If only he could finish where he runs during the race (he's been in the top 10 in almost every race at one point this year...), it'd be possible. Right now, the best I can hope for is to get into the chase.

Well, after a 22nd place finish at Dover, Dale Jr. is still 15th in points but 418 off the lead meaning that as of right now, he's out of the Chase for the Cup. :(

Gordo lost 6 places in the standings and is now in 11th after that tangle with Stewart.

And JJ put in a 4th place showing to keep a hold on the lead...it's looking good for him.

D'oh...I just noticed that I put 2006 in the title of the message. Obviously I meant 2005...it's *waaaaay* too early to be trying to figure out who's going to win in 2006! ;)

Can a mod change that for me? Thanks.

• 1 month later...