[UK] Driving License.

I'm 17 soon and I'm promised my first car if I do good in my exams. And as I don't know too much about driving licenses etc, I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the subject.

I'll start off by asking a question, what age can I start driving? As far as I'm aware it's 17, but then there's all the stuff with preliminary licenses.

Thanks.

preliminary licence is what you need to drive this license means that you need someone in the car with you, that has about 5 years a licenses them selves like your parents.

You need this as well to be in a learner car I think as well.

You get a preliminary license at 17.

If you live within the UK then yes, you have to be 17 years old to drive, but you may send off for your provisional at the age of 16...Not sure what the law is in other countries!

are you from the UK or US, or elsewhere?

in the UK you can get your 'PROVISIONAL LICENSE' will allows you to drive with a adult (21 or over with full UK driving license) while ur learning. Then after you've taken your theory and driving test and practical test you can drive on your own and you get a 'FULL LICENSE'

check out the DVLA's website for more

17 is the age you can start driving a car providing you have a licence of course ;)

You'll need to get a provisional licence before you can start driving (providing you have an instructor), you can get the form from the post office.

You can apply for your provisional now if you like, there is a vehicle you can use with it providing you're 16 or over. Always best to get your provisional ASAP, i waited til last week to get mine and it's gone up over ?10 more than it was when i first could of got it

Provisional is the word. Provisional.

You can only have lessons or drive at all once you have the provisional, obviously. Before you pass you must always have someone who is over 21 and who has 3 years driving experience in the front passenger seat.

Advice: DON'T do a "crash" course. You will be a terrible driver, probably not confident on the roads and definitely not safe on the roads.

Get yer theory passed asap, a lot of it is common sense - I found the hazard perception the hardest thing to do. You need to get the cd-rom to practice that.

Err... make sure you have enough money to keep your driving lessons going - you don't want to hvae a few and then have a break, you'll end up spending more money and more time.

If you can get on your parents insurance, do so. The extra driving experience helps a lot, you will pass quicker if you drive for a few hours during the week.

That should do from me I think :)

Always best to get your provisional ASAP, i waited til last week to get mine and it's gone up over ?10 more than it was when i first could of got it

586024976[/snapback]

No this is not true. The lisence previously (before about 6 months ago) DID NOT include the upgrade fee to the full lisence - you have to pay the extra money when you pass in the past.

The new lisence, although ?10 more expensive does not require the upgrade fee when you pass.

If you can get on your parents insurance, do so. The extra driving experience helps a lot, you will pass quicker if you drive for a few hours during the week.

586025008[/snapback]

Also i think this is a bad idea. I passed lately having been on my own insurance, and being on your parents COULD work out being even more expensive in the long run.

When you do get your own car you start with 0 years no claims - more expensive to begin with, and if you have an accident on your parents insurance, they loose their no claims, so for the sake of saving a few quid to start with, its not always going to save money.

Also i think this is a bad idea. I passed lately having been on my own insurance, and being on your parents COULD work out being even more expensive in the long run.

When you do get your own car you start with 0 years no claims - more expensive to begin with, and if you have an accident on your parents insurance, they loose their no claims, so for the sake of saving a few quid to start with, its not always going to save money.

586025030[/snapback]

I just meant as a way to be driving outside of your hour a week driving lesson... while you're learning.

learn while you can. the law will probley change soon on the age limit.

i'm 17 and had my full automatic lisence from november. had my provisional since march had my first driving lesson my birthday.

also don't rush things and also when you got some free time get someone to take you out that what i did with my mum and dad also sister.

driving is great in areas you love but i find i'm a little twitchy in areas i don't know.

currently with the a full uk lisence, you can only drive a car with the system that you passed in such as a manual or automatic. with a manual you can drive automatic.

you can drive any car and a tranist van and maybe a luton.

if you wish to driver bigger vans you must get another lisence, and to tow anything is another test.

my dad is lucky he has got class c on his lisence which is like an 8ton van/lorry it's full manual and also he can drive motorbikes.

also there is talk of doing the car lisence similar to the bike lisence.

at 16-17 you have to have 50cc

17 125cc

18+ i think is anything you want. but thats AFTER you have taken tests to show you can handle said bikes.

so car lisence will probley soon follow such as

16-18 1.1

18-21 1.4

21+ anything