[NW] Wireless

eyy peeps,

Q: What is the maximum transfer speed of a Wireless G network(54MB)? The max i've reached is 2.3 MB/s. Is that normal or can it be faster?

:ninja:

when u say wireless G i assume u're talking about a wireless network and u use the Microsoft Wireless G Base Station as an access point 4 the network

Microsoft Wireless G Product Line

if so, somethings wrong with ur network since

With Wireless G or 802.11g m you can reach transmission speeds of 54MB/s

Perhaps a firewall or the wireless card u're using has some compatibility probs with the wireless g?

Why do you assume he is using MS hardware?

586028980[/snapback]

soz, bad assumption but i thought that gave us a place 2 start

if it turns out 2 b different hardware, we can go from there but regardless of the hardware, a wirless g network 54mb should still support higher speeds than 2.3mbps

I'm using a Linksys setup. AP is WRT54G and i got 2 computers that are using a WMP54G Wireless network card. All is set in a G protocal (54).

Never fails. Someone posts a question with transfer rates in megabit (Mb) and another in megabytes (MB) and someone is bound to get confused.

You're not going to get 54Mbps (6.75MBps) 100% of the time. You must also take into account the distance between the device and the router/access point.

Distance does make a difference, but just becuase you are only 2 meters away does not mean you are going to get 54Mbps. There are numerous articles on the web that show that you will never reach 54Mbps with most access points.

I know that, and didn't say at any time that i had a problem with the fact that i don't have the 54Mbps. Just wanted to know what the maximum speed is that i can have. Just like a normal 100Mb ethernet connection, the max is around 11Mbps.

Anyone? Does anyone know that maximum transferspeed (practical) of a wireless connection?

Like Normal 100MB Ethernet - the max is pritty much 11 Mb/s

If you're only getting 11Mbps on a 100Mbps connection something is wrong. Either that or you may not have a fast ethernet 10/100Mbps card or you need to enable auto negotiate/sense.

Also again it's 100Mbps not MB. And that's you LAN speed (from your computer to the router) not your Internet connection speed.

Wireless devices:

11Mbps for 802.11b (wireless b)

54Mbps for 802.11g (wirelss g)

There are no "practical" speeds as every situation is different. I could maintain about 54Mbps at my old place. Of course there was absolutely NO interference (no cordless phones or even house phones, as we all used cell phones).

I've been in house where a wireless laptop couldn't connect to a router for squat even sitting right next to it. I later determined that old wiring in the house was throwing inteference all over the place. I made this determination because the cordless phone suffered from interfence as well. The base was in the kitchen and you could only use it in there or the living room. Anywhere else and it would cut out.

what you might read is some sites giving an average but even they can't agree.

Now as far as using your cousin's connection I take it as you have a router your cousin has the access point. Correct? Linksys has a really good user guide about using multiple routers. It should work in the same situation. Your router will need to be set as a router not a gateway.

Edited by El_Cu_Guy

I have 3com OfficeConnect 802.11g and my computers have both 3com NIC's and other vendors (802.11g ofcourse). Maximum throughtput (wireless) I've achieved so far was something about 2MB/sec no matter how far from router I am. I've also tried with D-link with same results. 54Mbit (6.75 MB/sec) seems to be a theoretical value that can only be achieved in perfect laboratory environment with no air and disturbance sources but real value is considerly lower.

Edited by Jayzee