Identify THIS Windows XP SP2 CD!

Not it's not OEM.

My company got this from Microsoft bcos of the fact that we are Microsoft partners

Here is another shot of it in the light

post-2365-1118224063.jpg

you wanna know what vlk means? :blink:

volume license key, means you can install it on several machines, legally.

you wanna know what vlk means? :blink:

volume license key, means you can install it on several machines, legally.

586033966[/snapback]

I know what VLK means. All I'm asking if THIS cd is COMPATIBLE lets say with such key

I know what VLK means. All I'm asking if THIS cd is COMPATIBLE lets say with such key

586033972[/snapback]

why wouldn't it be...

WinXP's setupp.ini controls how the CD acts. IE is it an OEM version or retail? First, find your setupp.ini file in the i386 directory on your WinXP CD. Open it up, it'll look something like this:

ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05

Pid=55034000

The Pid value is what we're interested in. What's there now looks like a standard default. There are special numbers that determine if it's a retail, oem, or volume license edition. First, we break down that number into two parts. The first five digits determines how the CD will behave, ie is it a retail cd that lets you clean install or upgrade, or an oem cd that only lets you perform a clean install? The last three digits determines what CD key it will accept. You are able to mix and match these values. For example you could make a WinXP cd that acted like a retail cd, yet accepted OEM keys.

Now, for the actual values. Remember the first and last values are interchangable, but usually you'd keep them as a pair:

Retail = 51882 335

Volume License = 51883 270

OEM = 82503 OEM

So if you wanted a retail CD that took retail keys, the last line of your setupp.ini file would read:

Pid=51882335

And if you wanted a retail CD that took OEM keys, you'd use:

Pid=51882OEM

Note that this does NOT get rid of WinXP's activation. Changing the Pid to a Volume License will not bypass activation. You must have a volume license (corporate) key to do so.

For screenshots of the Retail, OEM, and Volume License installs, click here.

Source: The Tech Guide

There's something on the MS site that allows you to answer some questions to see what type od CD it is. Can't remember the URL though - but something like. . . Is my XP CD Legal?

You can use any windows CD to install corporate edition - you just need to iso it, change a the pid and reburn it. Its as easy as that.

Check the CD Label...

586034040[/snapback]

VRMPOEM_EN is the cd label..

And the pid inside setupp.ini looks like the one in the above example

Pid=51882OEM

Can someone use this cd to install windows with a corporate key?

VRMPOEM_EN is the cd label..

And the pid inside setupp.ini looks like the one in the above example

Pid=51882OEM

Can someone use this cd to install windows with a corporate key?

Your's is an OEM pack. You can install it on only one computer and once it is activated, you cannot install it anywhere else. But having the CD is not enough, you need the CD-key which came with the pack. A VLK will not work with this CD.

It's like this:

* You need not have the same CD to install the OS.

* You can make a dupe CD and install from that. But you have to do that on the same hardware and with the same CD-Key.

* Even if someone steals the CD, they cannot use it with the same key, since you have already activated it.

The VLK and OEM+Retail CDs have different files in them and this prevents people from using a VLK key with an OEM or Retail CD and vice-versa.

Hope that was simple, yet clear.

NV

Edit: I could'nt get an OEM CD to work with a VLK, even after changing the PID. Did it work for anyone here?

Your's is an OEM pack. You can install it on only one computer and once it is activated, you cannot install it anywhere else. But having the CD is not enough, you need the CD-key which came with the pack. A VLK will not work with this CD.

It's like this:

* You need not have the same CD to install the OS.

* You can make a dupe CD and install from that. But you have to do that on the same hardware and with the same CD-Key.

* Even if someone steals the CD, they cannot use it with the same key, since you have already activated it.

The VLK and OEM+Retail CDs have different files in them and this prevents people from using a VLK key with an OEM or Retail CD and vice-versa.

Hope that was simple, yet clear.

NV

586034125[/snapback]

Yes you have been very clear.

But let me ask you one more thing.

Look at the above post (im quoting)

Retail = 51882 335

Volume License = 51883 270

OEM = 82503 OEM

So if you wanted a retail CD that took retail keys, the last line of your setupp.ini file would read:

Pid=51882335

And if you wanted a retail CD that took OEM keys, you'd use:

Pid=51882OEM

Note that this does NOT get rid of WinXP's activation. Changing the Pid to a Volume License will not bypass activation. You must have a volume license (corporate) key to do so.

So if i change the PID i WILL be able to install with a corporate key.

Correct?

Correct?

586034142[/snapback]

That would violate the ELUA and be illegal the information was posted to help you identify the version you have, not to help you pirate a copy of Windows!

Yes you have been very clear.

But let me ask you one more thing.

Look at the above post (im quoting)

Correct?

586034142[/snapback]

It worked when I tried it with Win2000, but not with XP. Think I'll try it...

I think i just helped another person do that.. another collegue took the cd home..

That;s why I am asking these things to see if someone with possesion of the cd can do this..

Thank you all for your info.

Thread closed

What do people not understand about not discussing warez? :blink: If you have a question about your CD or your license, ask Microsoft.

[DGS]: If you really let someone take the CD home (and it's not you), you're letting them take home company property and your boss won't like that too much...