Nadal Loses first round, first match after french

And as i said before, he is NOT a threat to Federer even if Federer thinks he is. He loses in 3 sets to a 147th ranked player in the first round on grass

French Open champion Rafael Nadal's 24-match winning streak was snapped Wednesday when he lost in three sets to Alexander Waske on grass at the Gerry Weber Open.

In his first match since winning the French title on clay Sunday, the third-seeded Spaniard was beaten 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 by the 147th-ranked German wild card.

Nadal's streak came entirely on clay, and his serve wasn't as powerful on the faster surface of grass.

``I'm tired,'' said Nadal, who played through a strained thigh and a blistered finger. ``I need two or three days off. My fitness is not the best. When I go to the net, I am too slow. My fitness is a big part of my game.''

Waske received a standing ovation after his volley to close out the match in this key tuneup for Wimbledon, which starts June 20.

The match turned in Waske's favor late in the second set when Nadal netted two drop shots and lost his serve.

``I played a horrible game -- I played very bad all the time,'' Nadal said. ``I started well, but it is hard to concentrate after so many matches at the French.''

Earlier, Australian Open champion Marat Safin saved a match point before advancing when Fabrice Santoro retired with a left thigh injury in the third set. The second-seeded Russian led 3-6, 7-6 (7), 3-2.

Safin, who had lost seven of his previous eight matches against Santoro, erased the match point with Santoro up 6-5 in the second-set tiebreaker.

Safin, who has been fighting a knee injury, won only his second match on grass in three years.

``It's very painful,'' he said of the knee. ``On some serves I can't jump. But I will play Wimbledon and then take a month off.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-h...ov=ap&type=lgns

uh, he IS a threat to federer. in fact, roger did the same thing earlier this year, coming off a win, and then lost in the first round to some unranked loser as well. he's not THAT unbeatable.

/edit

actually it was in 2004 i think...

He's definitely a threat to Federer on clay, but I think Federer is a cut or two above Nadal on grass at least and probably on hard court as well. Federer is such a dominant player right now that the media are grasping for someone to place on the same level and right now that's Nadal. Time will tell.

He is a threat, and Federer is overhyped due to the thin talent pool in the mens division right now.

586037212[/snapback]

so you admit Federer is the only Talented player in the pool right now? :laugh:

It is a shame of how weak mens tennis is now. What happened to the good old days of the classic Petey vs Agassi. Those were some of the best matches I've ever seen.

honestly, the mens side has the potential. if andy would get his head on straight, safin wouldn't be hurt, hewitt gets healthy, andre get healthy, and then nadal and federer. i think that would be some awesome tennis.