My baseball glove finally met it's doom.

Now, unless you play baseball (for fun or competively), you won't understand a guy's relationship with his glove. A good baseball glove is one that has been used for a long time and is broken in to the point where it molds to your hand perfectly. Today, my long time glove (about 10 years old) finally bit the dust.

As you can see in this picture, the lace between the middle fingers snapped and is too short to successfully tie together or anything.

picture39b9tm.th.jpg

I'm currently breaking in a new glove using olive oil to soften the leather and then putting a baseball in it and wrapping rubber bands around it to create the pocket. Besides using it a lot, do you guys have any tips on getting a new glove to feel as comfortable as an older one? How do I break this sucker in?

RIP

picture38b2nu.th.jpg

This is the new glove I got:

http://www.rawlings.com/baseball/gloves/gl...ge=&model=RS125

that sux bro. been there.

i used to throw mine around a lot. rubber bands... big ol fat rubber bands do good too but you gotta focus on moving it a lot. be prepared to sit with it for like 30min a day just opening and closing it. that and throwing it around in the dirt always worked for me.

I'm hoping with Friday off from work, myself and bigbluepride35 can get in a catch long enough to really give it a work out. This was completely unexpected though. I didn't even realize at first either. When I would catch it, I felt it hit the glove weird, but I thought it was my fault. It took 3 or 4 catches to finally look down and see that the damn middle finger was just wagging around.

Why not relace it? Did that to one of my older gloves from a while back... That or your pics are too small/blurry for me to understand what snapped.

Why not relace it?  Did that to one of my older gloves from a while back...  That or your pics are too small/blurry for me to understand what snapped.

586037661[/snapback]

First pic, look at the separated fingers and snapped lace. It's taken with a webcam, so cut me some slack.

Relacing would have cost more, especially since there aren't any real speciality stores near me. I didn't exactly budget this into my credit card bill for the month, so I simply got the new glove.

at this point, it's hardly worth it. just break in the new one and frame the old one or something. :)

he worked his time. good luck bb!

First pic, look at the separated fingers and snapped lace. It's taken with a webcam, so cut me some slack.

Relacing would have cost more, especially since there aren't any real speciality stores near me. I didn't exactly budget this into my credit card bill for the month, so I simply got the new glove.

586037691[/snapback]

Don't need a store... you need a small nail and some of that glove string... whatever it's called.

Don't need a store...  you need a small nail and some of that glove string...  whatever it's called.

586037703[/snapback]

And you want me to do this? It's not exactly the easiest of tasks.

at this point, it's hardly worth it. just break in the new one and frame the old one or something. :)

he worked his time. good luck bb!

586037708[/snapback]

Hell yeah man, I'm saving this bad boy. I've made some pretty nice catches with it lol.

And you want me to do this? It's not exactly the easiest of tasks.

Hell yeah man, I'm saving this bad boy. I've made some pretty nice catches with it lol.

586037719[/snapback]

Teaches patience, grasshopper :pirate:

(I thought there was an emoticon for an old guy with a beard who looked wise, but since I can't find it, you get a pirate because pirates are uber1337).

Yes it was a sad day, indeed. I can't imagine how I will feel when the inevitable happens and MY dear friend (of 14 years now) perishes. It's so worn that I need to wear a batting glove underneath becuase the interior is so torn up. "Twas a sad day indeed. Like you said, we just weren't menat to play today (We managed to lose two spongeballs within five minutes to the sewers).

RIP.

i've finally gotten in some time with my new glove this past week. feels really good to be on the diamond. i actually bought my glove, mizuno classic mcl1002, 2 years ago, but never used it until this past weekend. actually, it came brand new with pretty good flex. just rub a lot of that oil/creme on it. it's gonna take a while to get it to be as good though.

Put it in the oven.

Or just buy one that is 'broken in'  My new Nike glove needed no breaking in period.  It is soft to squeeze...I love it.

586042925[/snapback]

The glove was probably the softest of the ones I saw, but it still needs to be broken in nicely. I'll avoid the oven though. Too much controversy over whether or not it does more good or bad.

oven kinda scares me too...don't really want a baked glove...time is all you need :p

damn, i wish we could get together and a play a neowin pickup game :p

oven kinda scares me too...don't really want a baked glove...time is all you need :p

damn, i wish we could get together and a play a neowin pickup game :p

586043341[/snapback]

I haven't swung a bat in 3 or 4 years, I would suck ass lol. I really need to get some time to get some swings in, it's just hard to find people to bat against and such.

my uncle told me to put it under my pillow when i sleep. uncomfortable sleepling but it worked.

586039445[/snapback]

I did that last night. It helped even more, thanks.

yeah, i'm not much of a hitter.  i can hit for contact, but not power.  i just love catching and fielding :)

586045463[/snapback]

Yeah, fielding is my area of goodness lol. I'm skinny and pretty fast and have long arms, so it's a good mix. I'm not a power hitter either, heck, right now, I'm not really a hitter at all since I havent' swung a bat in so long lol.

Thanks, but the oven is out of the question. It's loose enough to be used, but it's a little big on me (I have very thin wrists) so I'm going to have to get a batting glove to wear under it to prevent slipping.