5.1 speakers/wires

darcmarc

My dilema:

I have a [what I consider to be] wonderful surround sound system.

Problem:

Wires are laying on the floor. I want to put them in the roof ( I think ), regardless, I just want to get them out of view.

So: reccomendations?

How do I go about doing it?

I'm really lost here, so any help is good help!

Thanks

--darcmarc

spoon

monster cable is very expensive. just remember 10% of your speaker system should be spent on cables/wires.

ctebah

first, use Monster Cable, and then it's up to you how you want to do it.

ctebah

it's also the best. if your system is what you consider "wonderfull", then you will want to provide it with a very good set of cables. monster ones might be expensive, but it's a difference you will notice.

it's like running HD with component cables, it's basically worthless.

darcmarc

Alright, that gets the cabliling out of the way, now how do i get it out of the visible area. like the roof or whatever. Under the carpet perhaps? we are putting new carpet in in about 2 weeks. Is it viable to do that?

+darc

ctebah

yeah, under the carpet would work. audio cables can go pretty long, so go underneath the carpet, gonna hide the cables more than running them over through the roof.

darcmarc

Goodie. I'm going to go out and buy the cabling tomorrow, and Will have it installed within a few weeks. I'm excited.

:)

MR_Candyman

I'd do what we're actually doing in my basement right now...hard-wire them in the walls. Then you can have nice, clean jacks in the walls for everything to plug into. Takes more work, time, and money, but very worth it, and can be a nice selling feature for your house (assuming you put the jacks in sensible places, unlike how most people install cable tv lines)

• 2 weeks later...
Toastyone
Alright, that gets the cabliling out of the way, now how do i get it out of the visible area. like the roof or whatever. Under the carpet perhaps? we are putting new carpet in in about 2 weeks. Is it viable to do that?

+darc

586038201[/snapback]

:yes: This is what I did, I pulled up all my carpet and then put it back down, only looks bad in a few places, which I have hidden with furniture :p

Azusa

one simple answer Duct Tape and rug/carpet

bangbang023

Another option would be to use molding along the floor boards and run the wire behind the molding.

Uroboros

you could run the wiring under the floorboards if that's viable, I did with the the cat5 I used for my home network.

You could go as far as removing the skirting boards, doing some "studio enginering" and boxing the wires in behind the skirts and then refastening the skirting boards.

Depends how you want it to be hidden. It could be 'hiding' under the carpet or 'hidden' under the floor etc.