Yet another Linux noob

For a little while now, I've been interested in trying out Linux, and today I decided to do so. I just started off by downloading and burning Mandrake 10.1 to a DVD. Install went flawlessly, everything works fine, but I have one problem with the OS:

Is there any way to make the fonts sharper? Obviously I'm used to XP, which has much sharper fonts. The "blurry" fonts in Mandrake make things really uncomfortable, and sometimes hard to read.

If I have any more questions / problems, I'll be using this same thread :)

what I did is importing some fonts from my windowb partition:

times new roman, arial, courier new, tahoma, verdana, lucida, helvetica, comics, ... (the main fonts)

after that, I configured my favorites fonts in gnome-font-properties (in a terminal, just type gnome-font-properties)

the result should be better (that's the case for me!).

for your info, here's my preferences:

gnome-font-properties

Application font: Sans - 8

Desktop font: Sans - 8

Window title font: Sans - 8 - bold

Terminal font: Courier 10 Pitch - 10

Font rendering: best shapes

firefox

Fonts for: Western

Proportional: Serif

Serif: Times new roman

Sans-Serif: Verdana

Monospace: Courier 10 Pitch

I hope that can help you to resolve your prob'

Linux Distribution Chooser: very useful

586040251[/snapback]

I fail to see how recommending another distro helps, when he already has one installed and just has one minor issue.

As for the problem, if it occurring on web pages, it may likely be that you need to have the MS core fonts installed.

Also, KDE and Gnome offer some sort of advanced font tools, but I haven't used either in quite a while.

Finally, if you have an LCD, perhaps you are at a non-native resolution. You really didn't specify, and the word "blurry" makes me think it may possibly be related to resolution.

Sorry for taking so long to respond...

I have an LCD, but I have the resolution set to 1280x1024, so that isn't the problem.

What I meant by "blurry", the default font is Sans. I've noticed that there are much clearer fonts though, like Lucida and Terminal.

I just need to know, how can I access the Windows partition? :unsure:

btw, I went through the different interfaces (gnome, etc.) and I like KDE the best.

Are you satisfied with your fonts? Have you added (or do you even want) your Windows fonts?

As for the Windows partitons, I haven't used Mandrake in a long while, but didn't it create mount points already under your /mnt directory? Take a look in there and see if there are some suspiciously extra items that may be Windows partitions...

If I'm not mistaken, Mandrake has a tool called Harddrake (or Drakconf) which will allow you to set up mount points for all drives in the computer through a nice and clean GUI.

However, I can't honestly remember where to access the program through menus. Open up a "Run" terminal, and type in

drakconf

Once the program launches, you'll be prompted for the root password. From there, navigate the left-hand menus and look for an option called mount points.

That is the gist of it... please forgive me if I am not 100% correct... I havn't used Mandrake in quite some time.

I'm not gonna be helpful, but I'll add that all truetype fonts on linux will be blurier than on windows. This is because Freetype (the truetype font rendering engine) renders vector based fonts with 256 shaded of grey as opposed to windows which uses 4. This means that the anti-aliasing of fonts will be better, but it'll look blurier to windows users.

In the Mandrakelinux Control Center (under the System folder to the left) is the Fonts install. You can easily copy Windows fonts from your Windows box to a CD, then copy it to your /.fonts folder in Mandrake.. and they will show up in the Control Center. If you use Gnome, the Gnome Control Center also has a Fonts section that gives you the chance to select different pixel types and see what works best on your screen. Then choose it and you're off and running! :yes:

Barney

Are you satisfied with your fonts?  Have you added (or do you even want) your Windows fonts?

As for the Windows partitons, I haven't used Mandrake in a long while, but didn't it create mount points already under your /mnt directory?  Take a look in there and see if there are some suspiciously extra items that may be Windows partitions...

586042661[/snapback]

I have to admit, websites are really ugly :pinch:

I checked /mnt/, the windows partition is listed there. :) Just remember I'm a complete Linux noob, I know nothing about the OS...

I was able to find how to import fonts into Linux though.

I too have a problem w/ fonts. It's when I use Firefox in Mepis. I try to set the fonts to larger sizes but they don't "stick." I looked around the Mepis forums, but I don't think anyone really has a solution to the problem yet. Does anyone have any ideas as to why changes to the fonts options in Fx don't stick when you exit out of the options?

I know this isn't really directly related to the xinok's problem, but that may explain why the fonts seem so ugly.

I imported all my Windows fonts, tried a few different websites, they look much better now. And I turned on sub-pixel hinting and set to BGR, the fonts come in much clearer now :happy:

A few more questions:

1) I've installed Gaim from an rpm file, and I need to know where rpm files are installed to, I can't find it anywhere :blink:

2) Is there anywhere I can find a list of hotkeys for Mandrake? I finally found out ctrl+esc to bring up the 'ProcessTable'.

And thanks for all the help so far :)

Edit: Actually, nevermind the list of hotkeys. I'll just look up some noob Linux guides online...

Edited by xinok

GAIM comes with Mandrake. Just go to -> System -> Configuration -> Packaging -> Install Software and type GAIM in the search box. Then install it. It will show up on your menu bar after that. I am surprised it is not already on your menu bar under Internet -> Instant Messaging............

Barney

GAIM comes with Mandrake. Just go to -> System -> Configuration -> Packaging -> Install Software and type GAIM in the search box. Then install it. It will show up on your menu bar after that. I am surprised it is not already on your menu bar under Internet -> Instant Messaging............

586044716[/snapback]

I've been there in the menu, it only lists Kopete. I would just use that if it didn't keep telling me my MSN password is incorrect :wacko:

Edit: Nevermind...

Edited by xinok

2) Is there anywhere I can find a list of hotkeys for Mandrake? I finally found out ctrl+esc to bring up the 'ProcessTable'.

And thanks for all the help so far :)

Edit: Actually, nevermind the list of hotkeys. I'll just look up some noob Linux guides online...

586044699[/snapback]

Did you find your hotkey information? Some are built into X (I think), and others can be customized in your KDE control panel.

I was able to find the hotkeys :)

Now to jump into something a little more advanced...

Does Mandrake come with a C++ compiler, or will I have to download one? I know a bit of C++ and I just want to try writing a few simple apps for now.

And I just install Gaim and I'm already out of date :laugh: Gaim 1.3.1 under Software News...

Compiler: gcc handles g++, I think (link). I am not into programming (haven't in at least seven years, anyhow). If it isn't installed, then it should be on your CDs.

Updates: You shouldn't have to worry about following software release information in Linux. Just use your update tool to keep your entire system up to date, and you will get the newest updates to GAIM, GIMP, and everything else delivered right to your virtual door. (Y)