[NHL] Olympics still a possibility?

Turin officials encouraged by CBA talks

Team Canada 2002

Canadian Press

6/9/2005 1:00:01 PM

TURIN, Italy (AP-CP) _ Turin Olympic officials are encouraged by the recent optimism surrounding NHL labour talks.

"I just discussed this with (International Ice Hockey Federation president) Rene Fasel and he was very optimistic," said Jean-Claude Killy, the former Olympic ski champion who heads the IOC commission for the Turin Games.

Olympic officials hope an end to the lockout could clear the way for NHL players to compete in Turin.

The NHL and the NHL Players' Association have reportedly reached an agreement on a salary-cap structure, which had been the biggest hurdle in the negotiations. While a number of issues still need to be ironed out, including Olympic participation, there is optimism an agreement could be reached by early July.

The union has made it a demand in previous proposals that Olympic participation be guaranteed, but the NHL doesn't really want to take a break in the schedule next season after losing an entire year to the lockout.

"If there is no space provided in the calendar, I think some players will continue playing in Europe just to play in the Olympics," said Gilbert Felli, the IOC's Olympic Games executive director.

Turin organizing committee chairman Valentino Castellani pointed out that hockey is already the sport with the most tickets sold.

"It would be extraordinary to have the best players in the world, although all the tickets are already sold for the final," Castellani said.

Killy's group was concluding a visit to Turin on Thursday that featured a tour of each venue over three days.

Source: TSN.ca

I understand that this may be premature but I'd like to see it. I also recognize the leagues concern about stopping mid season after they lost the last one but I think this could be good PR by saying that they are doing this for the fans all around the world.

What do you guys think?

I hope they get to play in the Olympics, personally.

Best Olympic game I saw (hockey-wise) was the 2-2 USA-Russian tie in the last Winter Olympic games. A lot of people said they liked the game USA won, but I liked the tie more.

There is something special that happens when these athletes put the flag on their chest. I would really be disappointed if they didn't go to Italy.

I hope they get to play in the Olympics, personally.

Best Olympic game I saw (hockey-wise) was the 2-2 USA-Russian tie in the last Winter Olympic games. A lot of people said they liked the game USA won, but I liked the tie more.

586040979[/snapback]

I'm assuming you mean in your own lifetime (not including old video). Because, though it may seem cliche-ish since it's so well known now the Miracle on Ice truly was the greatest hockey game I've ever seen. The emotions, the intensity, obviously the history behind it--for me nothing tops that.

No, I mean the best Olympic hockey game I've ever seen. The "Miracle On Ice" was a great game full of emotions, but it's hard for me to share the same emotions people of the time had when I watched it. There wasn't any of that with the 2-2 tie -- it was just an amazing game, you didn't need the emotional tension for it.