Crossover Cable extender - Guide

This guide will tell you how to make a crossover cable extender, which will convert any normal Cat 5 cable into a crossover cable. This project will require about 10 min and about $4

Supplies:

3' Cat 5 cable, with both ends - $3.29 at home depot (or any length)

OR

Cat 5 cable with 1 end (self made)

Ethernet Wall Jack - $.99 at Radio Shack (dont know about home depot)

Electric Tape

Wire Cutters / Stripper

OPTIONAL: Soldering gun / Solder

Directions:

1. Cut the Cat 5 cable with at least 6" of cable on the end you are going to use

2. Cut the base about 1 so the wires can move freely

3. Unscrew the 8 screws from the back of the wall jack then remove the female plug

4. Cut all 8 wires with at least 2" of room on the wall jack

5. Strip all 16 wires

6. If you are lucky and the wires on the jack are colorcoded like the cable, just switch the green with the orange, and the green-striped with the orange-striped, If not, see #10

7. Twist the cables together, and either solder or tape it so it will hold

8. wrap the cables with the same color scheme (Green w/ striped-green) in a clockwise fashion

9. Use the tape to cover it up

10. If you are you are unlucky, working from the left to right the cable should look like image 1

Image 1

568a_crossed.gif

TODA your done

post-32248-1118354825_thumb.jpg

You probably have a lot of experience. I tried making one once and about a half an hour into it I just gave up. Making patch/xover cables is no fun.

You probably have a lot of experience. I tried making one once and about a half an hour into it I just gave up. Making patch/xover cables is no fun.

586042292[/snapback]

haha me experience? nope, just came up with this today and am terrible at this stuff.. thanks for the compliment though :)

it was not hard - I made the first one I tried way back when in about 15 minutes, and all wires showed connectivity.

From then on I have made a few scraps but for the most part (around 95%+) I get them right the first time.

Hell, I put 2 drops in my house, so I could have a cable modem in one room with a wired and wireless router and also feed another room that has no cable input but has a stationary desktop computer - without having to go wireless for it (it is an old Celeron 400 Machine, and I didn't want to spend the money on a PCI wireless card).

Total cost, about $20 (I had a 1000 ft spool of CAT 5 that I got for about $45 several years ago).

i have about 200ft of cat5e sitting around. could someone let me know how to "put the ends" on them. i have a crimp tool for coaxial cable and thats it. what equipment do i need to make a couple of 10ft cat5 cables and what are the procedures?

At my work when I was cabling the new gigabit network, I came accross this problem but ordered a "Joiner" similar to http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

Worked fine for me and saved buying a 20m cable to replace the 2 x 10m cables we had.

586057828[/snapback]

Yep, I've used one of those before to make a crossover adapter. Simply pop it open at the middle seam, swap a couple of wires, then snap it back together. Be sure to label it as such so you don't pull your hair out later on wondering why your cable extender doesn't work right!! Then you can simply plug in two regular patch cables to make a crossover. The funny thing is, I've seen people selling them (modified like mine) on eBay as "two port hubs", which I guess in a sense they are.

i have about 200ft of cat5e sitting around.  could someone let me know how to "put the ends" on them.  i have a crimp tool for coaxial cable and thats it.  what equipment do i need to make a couple of 10ft cat5 cables and what are the procedures?

586052273[/snapback]

HOW-TO - Ethernet Cables