I Can't Love Linux

I've tried and tried and finally got Linux up and running on Ubuntu distro. But now even with my ntfs partition mounted and mp3 support added I cant get used to Linux. Everything I do that is somewhat proprietary is at least 20 min of work. I cant get Quicktime to play,The Music Player keeps dying when I try to load my 8000 something mp3s (all legal of course). It just feels like a shirt thats perfect except for being too tight around the neck. (What a bad analogy). I like the feel of Linux but it needs alot more work before I will be able to use it properly. Just my little rant.

I tried to love linux I really did but alas we weren't meant to be together. I will await the next release of Ubuntu...

Yeah, I guess that's me too... I just can't get used to it, as my main OS at least. It just... like... my hands tied together... I use it for fun but for main OS, Windows XP is just what I like :p Server is another story tho.

I tried to. I didnt really like it, as well. Right now i am dling the new Fedora Core 4 and im going to give that a try. Hope its good, have any of you tried it?

From my experience a good distro is defined by its package repository. No other distro beats Gentoo's portage system in terms of size and activeness. The open source development model relies on small, more frequent releases and it therefore important to keep your linux system up to date, even bleeding edge, to have the best experience. In fact, linux had H.264 (Quicktime 7) support way before windows, but you needed to have the lastest version of mplayer. The portage system makes it easy to check to see if you have the lastest and greatest.

As easy as Ubuntu, Fedora and Suse are to install, they just don't stack up when it comes to providing the best package reporitory.

NO Fedora 3 didnt work for me. And most of the distros are close to the same (well minus apt-get and rpm things) once you have KDE or Gnome on there. I wish there was a better way but back to windows it is for me.

Not a problem. :)

In fact, that was pretty much my first experience with Red Hat 5.1 (reference text under my avatar).

I wasn't ready for Linux, or it wasn't ready for me. Then about a year and a half later, I tried again (RH7.3), and was impressed at the improvements. I have been hooked ever since, and dropped Windows entierely around the Red Hat 9 days.

the exact same thing was the case for me before i erased windows

if you want to learn and get used to linux, DO NOT dual boot

the ONLY thing that i miss from windows is the new games, but my gfx card can barely handle em, and right now the BF2 demo isn't working through cedega, so i'm tempted to put it back on, but Ubuntu is making great strides... give it another try in October :)

I have a question for mark or someone else capable, what do i need to do to resize my ext3 partition so that i can put windows back on, and once i get windows installed how can install grub again, thanks :)

i know this may sound a little cliche, but keep trying out distros. each distro does its own thing and regardless of what some people may say they're not all the same. personally, i hate ubuntu and anything above fedora core 2 and some distros are just more bloated than others. from what i've observed, you have to know the command line if you're going to use linux as your main OS, as well. front ends are great, but nothing beats the command line ;) . once you find a distro that's suitable for you learn to love its package manager like it's part of your own family :yes:

In fact, linux had H.264 (Quicktime 7) support way before windows,

586061136[/snapback]

No it didn't.

H.264 != Quicktime 7

It's like h3xis says some posts higher, if you want linux to become your main operating system, you'll just have to get used to command line. I agree it's hard to learn, it takes some time. And after a year i just don't know everything of it, i'm still learing everyday. But after a few weeks without windows, i just didn't want to go back to it :) I find the command line much easier now than navigating through endless windows and menu's. With linux you have full control over your system, configuration takes place in config files. At least, when you have configured everything right, it just works, and keeps working. Digging into the config files is not allways an easy and fun thing to do at start, but once you know it, and where to find your stuff, it's so much easier than configuring windows :) At least that's my oppinion..

Everything takes a while to configure and to get it to work right. But once everything you need is in place, it feels so good :) Now i get the feeling my hands are tied when i boot into windows (soon, after my exams i'll delete it from my harddisk).

A good repository system is a nice extra. I'm currently using slackware, and if it weren't for linuxpackages.net there wouldn't be much to find for it. I mostly install packages using swaret, which checks for the dependencies by itself. But compiling things once in a while is fun and very easy.

Well not giving much of advice, rather telling my linux experience. Just one thing i can say. If you're at least a bit interested by linux, give it a go, ditch windows for a while, and you will fall in love with linux :) It's really a mather of finding the right distribution for you, because ineed they are a lot different from each other.

Anyway folks, enjoy your linux and don't give up too fast :)

Personally I don?t think the command line is hard at all, to me it?s simpler than command prompt for windows....

I had a partition of Ubuntu and I also couldn?t get used to it, seems pointless using an OS where no apps or games support it yet... about as fun as Linux gets is browsing the net and word processing... Worse than window;)3.1 ;)

Stay with win:ninja:ninja:

Personally I don?t think the command line is hard at all, to me it?s simpler than command prompt for windows....

I had a partition of Ubuntu and I also couldn?t get used to it, seems pointless using an OS where no apps or games support it yet... about as fun as Linux gets is browsing the net and word processing... Worse than window;)3.1 ;)

Stay with windows&:ninja:ninja:

586062469[/snapback]

It's really a matter of oppinion. If you're really gamer, then indeed, windows is a better choice for you or anyone else who is a gamer. I also regret the fact there are not many games on linux. But the fact my system isn't the latest and the greatest, and isn't powerfull enough to play the latest games, kinda makes up f:) it :) I mainly use my computer for internet and schoolwork, so linux is just perfect for me. Hehe come on, windows 3.1 wasn't even :) OS :)

I too have tried Ubuntu and have not gotten used to it. I disliked the fact that you needed to build everything you had to install. I was too used to MSOffice to get used to OpenOffice, and the same with iTunes.

I've heard good things about Fedora and SuSE, I guess I'll try those one day...

- Radical

I too have tried Ubuntu and have not gotten used to it. I disliked the fact that you needed to build everything you had to install. I was too used to MSOffice to get used to OpenOffice, and the same with iTunes.

- Radical

586062516[/snapback]

That's were a good repository system comes in. I don't know how things go with ubuntu, doesn't it use debian packages? Anyway, if you don't like compiling you need a distribution with good packages..

- Radical

586062516[/snapback]

If you were building everything you installed in ubuntu, you were doing something very wrong ;)

Ubuntu comes with a whole repository of apps, all of which can be installed with just a couple of clicks.

Yeah guys... think so, too.

I use Linux/Unix for server at work but at home... no way.

Tried SuSE (since 7.1), RedHat und at last - the best for n00bs I think - the great Ubuntu dist.

Most of them came w/o or less driver-support, no need to say bad multimedia apps.

It seems to be a "I want to but I can't as I want"-OS (sorry...)

Starts with every Installation of an app and ends with config the main system.

Waiting for Longhorn *lol

But I'm sure, I will try again... and again... and we'll see, maybe one beautiful day...

- to be continued -

Edited by D-Jay

I had a partition of Ubuntu and I also couldn?t get used to it, seems pointless using an OS where no apps or games support it yet... about as fun as Linux gets is browsing the net and word processing... Worse than windows 3.1 wink.gif

Stay with windows

there are a selection of games that have their own linux client (doom 3, quake 3, unreal tournmt., etc) and the ones that dextremelyly well. whenever i used to play ut2k4 it ran flawlessly and the system requirements didn't have to be as high as windows...it was kind of bizarre. i suspect in the near future the industry will include a linux client with its releases.

there are a selection of games that have their own linux client (doom 3, quake 3, unreal tournmt., etc) and the ones that do run extremely well. whenever i used to play ut2k4 it ran flawlessly and the system requirements didn't have to be as high as windows...it was kind of bizarre. i suspect in the near future the industry will include a linux client with its releases.

586063170[/snapback]

I hope so, I'm aware that Linux is capable of playing games and capable of doing it well. But a few things need to happen before we get any games.

1. Better graphics drivers from ATI

2. More penetration of the windows market share

3. Support from a commercial software developer to prove that its profitable if you do it right.

:woot: :woot:

Only thing I hate bout Linux is memory usage and the dependencie hell and driver support  :angry:

586064069[/snapback]

Memory usage? :huh:

What Desktop Enviornment/WM are you using?

Only thing I hate bout Linux is memory usage and the dependencie hell and driver support  :angry:

586064069[/snapback]

I have no memory usage problems and I have certainly not had any dependancy issues since I moved away from rpm based distros. Driver support, well, if you're going to use the system, buy hardware that supports it (and this is also the best way to let hardware manufacturers hear you.. talk with your money. Driver support is no reason to hate Linux, as the blame certainly lies with the hardware vendors). I have none of those problems.

586064069[/snapback]

I had 1gb of RAM in my rig and while running beep media player, open office, X-chat, and gaim. I was only using about 200mb of RAM. So i ask, what are YOU doing?

586064069[/snapback]

What's wrong with linux's memory usage? You are aware that linux will try to use as much memory as possible for the disk buffers and it'll free that memory when an application wants it. That way, linux will try to take advantage of your memory, unlike windows.