IIS & Apache (!)

Which server should I use to run my personal website?

IIS came with windows xp professional. Very nice and easy to use. It support ASP.

Apache on the other hand, is dos base interface.

Which one should I use? Can both run semisponstanious? If do, will there be conflict?

I like PHP and MySQL. I am interesting in purchase vbulletin and set it up on my computer. Will someone who did it know if it is going to work?

Assistances needed.

Thank you.

I think you can run both at the same time, just different ports.

For a good asp discussion board see here it will run on either ms access db or SQL

Originally posted by DoNuTjC

how do you use IIS... any sites to help??

IISFAQ

Lezend,

you gotta be crazy to run IIS if you do not know what you are doing. The thing is very insecure, and you will make your system vulnerable to the next attack perpetrated by Malaysian teenagers on the MS empire.

If you are not going to use ASP, stay away from IIS is my recommendation. Yes apache is a little harder, but it is also the best out there. If you want to run PHP and MySQL, all you need is a simple webserver, not a bloated OS extension like IIS.

If you are scared of command line and conf files, I suggest you use the IBM branded version of Apache which comes with a neat and easy to understand Web GUI for administration. It makes learning the ins and outs of conf files a breeze.

Get it at:

IBM HTTP server site