Baseball's HOF wants 11 year girl's jersey

Last month, Katie Brownell, pitched a perfect game in a Little League game. Now, Cooperstown wants her jersey.

OAKFIELD, N.Y. -- While most young ballplayers dream of making it to the big leagues, 11-year-old Katie Brownell already has Cooperstown calling.

Brownell, the only girl in her Little League, made national headlines last month when she tossed a perfect game by striking out every batter she faced.

Now, the National Baseball Hall of Fame wants to put her jersey on display in the same shrine that includes items from Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio and Hank Aaron. In fact, the hall will host a program for Katie and her Dodger teammates July 7, when the young pitcher will donate her jersey.

"I thought, this tops everything, this is amazing. That's when it finally clicked: This is bigger than I thought," said Katie's mother, Denise Bischoff.

Katie, however, wasn't fazed. When her mother told her the Hall of Fame wanted her jersey, the youngster balked at the request.

"She's like, 'No, I'm keeping my jersey,'" Bischoff said.

But after being assured another jersey would be made for her, Katie finally relented.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2085269

That's just a little too far, sorry. I have nothing against her or her accomplishment, but to compare it to what Major Leaguers have done is just not right.

Personally I think it's dumb too, but it's not the MLB Hall of Fame, it's the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Thankfully, since an entire era of black players would have been excluded from its halls if it was MLB only. It honors baseball accomplishments at any level it wants pretty much.

What's so surprising? At 11, a girl could already be hitting puberty, making her much bigger than most boys her age.