2005 U.S. Open

Watched Sportscenter at the Open today and "Doctor" Andy North gave his possible winners based on his "formula." Last year out of his 11 possible winners 5 finished in the top 10 including the winner Retief Goosen. This year his formula only provided 5 possible winners: Woods, Mickelson, Furyk, DiMarco, Toms. He picked Woods with a score over par. Should be an interesting weekend. I wonder if it'll be worse than Shinnecock. I'm looking forward to it but I'll miss the early round coverage of the 1st round because I won't be home :(.

just started watching now! the course is looking to be pretty tough. leader is at -3.

adam scott, cink and phil, this should be a good group.

dammit phil!! into the trees on the first tee.

Guys seem to be managing the course well enough. How did Tiger look this morning? Anyone see his round? Was he doing a lot of scrambling or was it a solid even par?

crap tiger finished already? they haven't showed his score at all...not even on the "other scores" screen. i thought he was still to go off...

Nice first day. Nine players under par compared with, I think they said 23, last time they played Pinehurst. Phil's -1 was pretty incredible considering some of his early shots on the first couple of holes. And the Big Five are all within striking distance (Els is furthest back just 4 behind). Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

BTW here's a link to the formula used by Andy North to make his predictions yesterday. http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/usopen05/ne...tory?id=2086792 The success rate of this thing over the past couple of Opens is pretty incredible.

Tiger tees off at 12:59 tomorrow. He's in a group with DiMarco and some British dude. That's for you BroChaos :p

Edited by bigbluepride35

tiger was errant off the tee. he had to do some work to get it to even par. hmm the scorecard on yahoo is all wrong. he played the back nine first. so he was +1 at the turn and got back to even.

Wow Lefty had a rough morning. Just saw highlights (well lowlights really). He bogeyed 6 6 out of 8 holes at one point. Missed 3 par putts under 10 feet. Phil better make a surge around the turn or hope everyone else struggles too.

whats with the wacky start times? does the US open always do 2-tee starts? i don't remember that...

and they aren't behind schedule, are they? the weather looks perfect...

Well things are bunching up nicely. If Vijay's putter hadn't let him down this morning he could've easily been 5 or 6 under. From tee to green he played incredibly. Sergio had a nice finish to be at even-par.

Lots of guys have been hitting their putts too softly.

They have to do something about the mics that pick up the players' chatter. Like stop using them. Tiger lets loose with too many four-letter words when he's playing badly :p. I personally don't care but you know some people will be offended :laugh:.

As far as the tee times question. http://www.usopen.com/players/groupings.html They bascially went every 11 minutes starting at 7:00am. I don't know how long they've been doing two tee starts but with 156 players this year I don't see how they could've done it otherwise. And no they're pretty much right on schedule.

Edited by bigbluepride35

are you guys watching this? the course is tearing everyone a new one. and right now, tiger is only 2 back! he was 8 back about a half hour ago!

Argh I was in the country yesterday and today and missed the weekend :angry:. Sounds like it was an entertaining finish considering ONE person finished at even par. Just four rounds under par today and all an -1. Dang sorry I missed it. Man Goosen had an awful day I see. So much for the slam for Tiger.

man, tiger closed that gap in a hurry, but it was just too much to overcome. hell of a back 9 by campbell, i honestly didn't think he'd be able to hold it. and wow, you want an idea of how hard the course was playing, look at the scores from the final 2some. goosey and gore just got demolished....