Benefits of a Powerbook/iBook?

Nice "trick" Fusion! I've got the new 12" PBs and would probably end up doing the same... very sneaky (but smart). I wonder if anyone'll buy my 12" PB at the end of this year (beginning of next, as I got it in Feb 1 2005).

I didn't want to purchase AppleCare for my PB because it was so expensive (about 1/4 of the cost of the laptop itself) and ran into a problem a few days ago (see: my LCD screen thread). I've only had it for 4 months so it's pretty good, still under warranty.

Thanks for the tip, Fusion, I'll definitely consider that.

As for the school itself, they didn't specify software, but did say that the network was not "Mac friendly". I've never met a network yet that I haven't been able to use a Mac with, but will check up on it just to be sure....

Thanks for the tip, Fusion, I'll definitely consider that.

As for the school itself, they didn't specify software, but did say that the network was not "Mac friendly". I've never met a network yet that I haven't been able to use a Mac with, but will check up on it just to be sure....

586089958[/snapback]

Good lord, what is their network? Token Ring?

the 15 inch pb has the s video and dvi and the pc card slot (just for general knowledge, heh)

as for mine getting hot, well it usually isnt that bad, it is pretty hot but i use it on my lap all the time and dont have any issues so i dunno, perhaps you have one of the batteries that were recalled for over-heating, ZZOOzzoo, its on apples front page about getting a replacement.

586074148[/snapback]

No, I checked that about a month ago and mine doesn't have any problem.

And it's still friggin hot. (Especially compared to forever-cool IBM Thinkpad T42)

things i want them to change with the powerbook before i buy one...

-switch to a 64bit chip so that tiger, a 64bit OS can take advantage of it

-switch to better screens with higher rez

-fox the whole problem with wifi because of the metal casing

-better compatibility with PC data and PC networks

things i want them to change with the powerbook before i buy one...

-switch to a 64bit chip so that tiger, a 64bit OS can take advantage of it

-switch to better screens with higher rez

-fox the whole problem with wifi because of the metal casing

-better compatibility with PC data and PC networks

586107571[/snapback]

While I can somewhat agree with you on the first three (especially the wifi thing, it's funny that the iBooks have better wifi range than the PowerBooks), what the heck are you talking about on the last one?

I use Linux, and I could buy basically any hardware, and I will tell you that the iBook and PowerBook are in a class of their own when it comes to doing what they are supposed to. Almost totally silent, long battery life, slim, light, no cheap plastic junk.

Remember, I run Linux on Mac hardware, I am no Apple fanboy.

While I can somewhat agree with you on the first three (especially the wifi thing, it's funny that the iBooks have better wifi range than the PowerBooks), what the heck are you talking about on the last one?

586107719[/snapback]

macs 'talking' to PCs over a network I have heard is still far from perfect,. ofcoures this is just what i hear from friends with Macs in a PC world ;) i could be wrong. In any case there is room for improvment in anything really

macs 'talking' to PCs over a network I have heard is still far from perfect,. ofcoures this is just what i hear from friends with Macs in a PC world ;) i could be wrong.  In any case there is room for improvment in anything really

586109762[/snapback]

Personally, I have less trouble getting Macs networked to Windows than I do getting various versions of Windows networked together.

i have no problem talking to any pc network. it actually connects and works much better on pc or mac networks than a pc does! i just plug in my cable and go, i can share files like that, the mac finds my pc and my parents pc and my bros pc with no problem. windows on the other hand still cant find my rents pc and for some reason cant find my bros pc but his can find mine. my parents cant find either so i dunno. but my pb finds all with ease.

how bad does the casing hamper the wifi strength? i think its pretty good, i get a solid signal most places on the campus im staying on now.

how bad does the casing hamper the wifi strength?  i think its pretty good, i get a solid signal most places on the campus im staying on now.

586109832[/snapback]

I've never had a chance to test both a PowerBook and an iBook in the same place at the same time, but from what I have heard, it can be as bad as 10 to 20% lower signal strength in the PowerBooks. The metal creates a Faraday cage, which hampers the wireless signal. The iBooks have a plastic case, which does not do this.

well i guess its a trade off then, cause if it creates a faraday cage, then im pretty safe when emp strikes my neighborhood, hehe. oh well its good enough for me so im not too worried.

I've never had a chance to test both a PowerBook and an iBook in the same place at the same time, but from what I have heard, it can be as bad as 10 to 20% lower signal strength in the PowerBooks.  The metal creates a Faraday cage, which hampers the wireless signal.  The iBooks have a plastic case, which does not do this.

586110546[/snapback]

I have an Alu Powerbook 15" and my wife has an iBook G4. Her wifi signal is always MUCH stronger than mine. She even picks up a ton of networks in our Condo that mine doesn't even see, and she'll have 2 to 3 bars. As well, her one battery outlasts my 2 batteries doing the same general tasks.