Converting NTFS to EXT without losing data

Dude it was in answer to your "blanket" statement of;

"You can't convert a live filesystem containing data from one type to another like that"

Which obviously was wrong - in both windows and linux ;)

586076708[/snapback]

Yeah I know, I was just kidding around. ;)

Its a shame I only just caught up with this thread!

Using partition magic (I have v8), you can convert ntfs to fat32 easily enough, then you can use PM again to convert the fat32 partition to the linux fs :)

Simple, easy, no formats or data loss :D

Raa.

Using partition magic (I have v8), you can convert ntfs to fat32 easily enough, then you can use PM again to convert the fat32 partition to the linux fs :)

Simple, easy, no formats or data loss :D

Raa.

586077568[/snapback]

You sure about that? The manual says this;

post-14624-1119005589_thumb.jpg

I see no mention of converting between MS and Linux file systems anywhere in the manual..

edit:

Nor do I see this possible in the program anywhere?

post-14624-1119006880.png

This is a FAT partition - where is the convert to ext2 or 3?

post-14624-1119006917.png

Here is a ext2 partition - where is the convert to fat?

I do not believe it possible in PM to convert from windows filesystems to linux or vice versa..

Edited by BudMan

Well I have a 40gb that has a lot of music on it but also a lot of Window's apps. I could probably just trash the apps as most now have newer versions out anyways. But I want to save my music.

I am pretty sure you can convert NTFS -> Fat32 but I don't know if you can then go from Fat32 -> LinuxFS. Hmm Partition Magic doesn't seem to like LinuxFS too well. Maybe we should check out Acronis which someone mentioned above.

And if it is possible to convert from Fat32 -> LinuxFS do you think it could be Reiser3 as I want to try that out instead of ext3?

Jonathan2007? --> do you have space issues? Why are you looking to convert anything? linux can read NTFS just fine - copy your music to whatever linux partition using whatever FS you like..

edit: upon looking into this.. I find it very unlikely that you can convert from windows FS, be it fat16, fat32, ntfs, etc.. to a linux FS.. be it ext2, 3, etc..

And even if there was a way - the likely hood of data corruption would seem to be high.. I would highly suggest you find a way to move your data off the partition.. If you do not have a spare disk, or one you can borrow.. how about borrow somone's machine with decent space available.. you could copy your data across the network.. Whats your upload speed? You could always move your critical data to a ftp server somewhere..

Keep in mind you do NOT need to move all 120Gig of it.. just a portion of it.. You need to free up enough space so that you can create a decent linux partition on this disk.. then move data from the windows partition to the linux.. resize them.. repeat ;)

If need be you could use 1 DVD to create enough space to get the process started.. But with all that resizing.. there would possible corruption..

Your best option IMHO is buy another disk --> Disks are CHEAP dude... I know I saw a 250Gig external on Buy.com for like $149.. after rebate.. Get a buy.com CC and you can take off another $30 currently ;)

Shoot here is a 120G for $73 delivered to your door;

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=101003

Or shoot - here you go.. $50 after rebate, 160G ---> that has got to be CHEAPER than buying enough DVDs to back it up too ;)

post-14624-1119021133.png

Edited by BudMan

^^ Yeah I know Linux can read NTFS and I have setup Kubuntu to read my 40gb NTFS drive. But I have Kubuntu installed on a 10gb hdd and want to use my 40gb to store stuff on. I want to be able to write to it. I may just convert it back to Fat32 so I can write to it using Linux. Is Reiser3 a lot faster than NTFS/Fat32? I have heard that it or maybe Reiser4 is a lot faster than Window's FS.

EDIT: I just found this site and I didn't know if it is any good or what exactly it does :unsure:

Edited by Jonathan2007

Why would you convert it to fat32? Is some locally installed windows based OS need read and write to it more often than the linux OS? Or is the 40gb drive your windows OS drive? - that you dual boot or something?

Why do you feel "faster" has that much to do with it? Its a "storage" drive - that I would assume you play your music off of.. does your music play correctly? Then what does it matter the performance of your FS be it faster or slower than some other FS --> if all your doing is playing music files?

Its like having a car that can top out at 200MPH, when the fastest you ever go 90.. What does it buy you? If they perform equally well getting to 90..

I would suggest you use a filesystem that is native to the OS that will be accessing it most often, and provides you with the functionality you require with any other OS that might need direct access to it.. ie if its a storage drive that is used more often by linux, then I would look into a ext2 since I do believe you can read and write ext2 with http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd

Since both windows and linux have common FS they can READ each other.. be it FAT, NTFS, EXT2, 3, etc.. it is always possible to copy the files from one filesystem and write to a different filesystem by the OS that has native support for the filesystem in question.. And it all goes out the window if there is network access.. For example, my storage drives are currently EXT3 - and the window machines can read and write files to them just fine.. across the network using samba.. Or you could use NFS, etc...

edit: what does the Partition Resizer have to do with this thread? It does NOT even support converstion of NTFS to fat.. it resizes and moves partitions around a disk.. it does not convert them to any other FS..

Edited by BudMan

^ Ok well you answered a lot of my questions. The 40gb hdd had been my windows hdd but I don't use windows anymore so I just want to be able to use the hdd as a storage hdd. I want to be able to write to it using Linux. It has NTFS right now. And I guess I will just use partition magic to convert the hdd back to fat32 so I can read it. But I didn't know if Reiser3 would give me more speed or something but you have answered that. Thanks. :)

I guess I will just use partition magic to convert the hdd back to fat32 so I can read it.

586079374[/snapback]

So you do NOT use Windows -- then why in the world would you use a Windows Filesystem?? :wacko: As to reading NTFS - there are no issues with linux reading NTFS.. only concerns with writing to it..

Are you having some space issue? That will not allow you to temporarily move the stuff from the 40GB drive??.. If it was your windows drive.. I would guess there is a HUGE amount of stuff on it that is NO longer required - ie the windows OS for example? ;)

Copy/Backup the stuff you want to keep "your music" Blow away the partition(s) - and redo the drive as you want -- with NATIVE linux filesystems.. since it seems that is what your using "but I don't use windows anymore" -- and if you want to play with the ReiserFS.. then sure go ahead.. or JFS, XFS, etc.. etc..

Well I didn't want to have to reformat the hdd and have to backup all my data. Which is why I am going to convert it to Fat32 because that way I don't have to reformat it and I can write to it using Linux.

Whatever dude - hmmm NO backups, using fat32 - your freaking asking to LOOSE data ;)

I am curious HOW MUCH data you actually have.. if the 40Gig drive was your windows drive.. which your NO longer using.. I am sure there are GIGS and GIGS that is NOT needed.. HOW much music do you have?? Copy it to your linux drive.. or as already discussed in this thread.. resize the fat32/ntfs "windows" partition to give room on the drive.. Create a linux partition.. move your files into it.. Then delete partition or repeat the process until your files are now on linux partitions..

Dude your only talking the time require do copy files from one drive to another.. And you should ALWAYS have a backup!!

"To go forward, you must backup." ? Cardinal rule of computing.