British and Irish Lions

If this has been done before please delete, my half assed search found nothing

Ok, I was just wondering if there are any Rugby Union fans who have been following the Lions for the past couple of weeks?

I've been a fan of the sport for a while now and so I want to know if you fancy the teams chances on this years tour, and who do you think should be put into the Test squad?

I think there are a few stars on the tour this year, which aer Dallagio, O'Driscall, Wilkinson, Dawson, Lewsey, Robinson and Henson. I really think if all of these are in top form then it should be an easy-ish tour for the Lions. But, Dallagio has already gone out to injury with a fractured ankle, so it wasn't a good start

The team as a whole are really underperforming as well, with the loss to the New Zealand Mauri and the draw with Argentina really sticking out. But, he hasn't yet fielded his strongest team and they still need time to bond as a team.

Yeah, if you're a New Zealand fan give us your opinion on the Tour as well. It should get a good debate going :happy:

Erm yeah, I don't think I have ever written that much before

A lot will depend on the weather. If its raining then I'd say it will be close, the lions will just kick for the corner and play the territory game and maybe win through penalty/drop goals. If its fine, then I'd put NZ by at least 12.

Also the referee, since he's a frenchman, he'll have a different interpretation of the tackle ball rule to the southern hemisphere ref's that NZ is used to in the Super 12. McCaw may get pinged a few times. Well I'd say this is what woodward is banking on.

To summarise, McCaw and Carter are the best players in the world, NZ for a 3 - 0 clean sweep.

But if Woodward manages to find a way of taking them two out of the game then it's not looking good for NZ, as they haven't exactly got strength in numbers

Looking at his likely test squad before it seems Woodward is going for brute strength to try and counter the NZ pack. he has kept this idea on the bench as well with maybe Sheridan on the sideline. And he is a beast!

But as you said, the kicking game will be important from the Lions, especially if Henson is playing outside centre. His boot should provide some serious problems in the areas he gets into.

Well lasts night's game was a crock, blatent consistent cheating at the breakdown and two head highs on Evans, someone should have been binned really. The lions barely got out of jail and the score doesn't reflect the match IMO.

If they hadn't got that try before half time then the result may have been a different.

I'd say the Lions will continue the tactic of slowing the ball at the breakdown in the tests to limit the NZ backline which is far more potent than anything the lions can come up with.

I hardly know any lions players apart from a few Englishman, 45 players is too many to bother with.

True, they need to do as much as they can to stop the New Zealand backs. But, they can't just try and defend them for 80 minutes, it's just not possible.

About Wales, true again. I completely agree with you and i'm glad they did win the Six nations because they do have some quality players.

NZ Team for the 1st Test.

Leon MacDonald - fullback

Doug Howlett - wing

Tana Umaga (captain) - midfield

Aaron Mauger - midfield

Sitiveni Sivivatu - wing

Daniel Carter - first five-eighths

Justin Marshall - halfback

Rodney So'oialo - No 8

Richie McCaw - Flanker

Jerry Collins - Flanker

Ali Williams - Lock

Chris Jack - Lock

Carl Hayman - Prop

Keven Mealamu - Hooker

Tony Woodcock - Prop

Reserves: Derren Witcombe, Greg Somerville, Jono Gibbes, Sione Lauaki, Byron Kelleher, Rico Gear, Mils Muliana

Pretty much an expected team. Gear IMO should be ahead of Howlett on the wing.

I just heard the news yesterday that Gevin Henson has been left out of the Lions Test 22. This is a big shock really as i expected him to be playing outside-centre alongside O'Driscoll. But to be left out of the squad completely is a joke. The biggest mistake Woodward has made in a long time in my opinion.

I think he has decided to play Wilkinson in that position instead, which wasn't the best idea ever. I would play him fly-half, fullback, or just not at all. He isn't match fit, yet he throws him into one of the most demanding positions on the pitch if the Lions want to win. Henson is supposedly distraught, and he should be. He has played excellently for the Lions and for Wales in the Six Nations and yet he is dropped out the squad. He must be thinking that it is something he's doing. When clearly, it isn't. It's just poor judgement by the Head Coach

I agree completely, after Hensons try scoring game this morning I think he deserves to play for sure, he's a great player and something amazing to come out of the mighty Wales!

The Lions are going to get beaten and heavily, a mostly old english pack isn't going to get the job done against New Zealand. SCW is a clown, picking players by reputation.

Richie McCaw and Jerry Collins must be giddy with anticipation waiting to go against the old english men richard hill and neil back. McCaw is awesome, probably the best player in rugby at any position at the moment.

Jonny's at inside centre...trying to keep McCaw from hunting him maybe? Thats if McCaw plays with his back injury, but Holah would still be far better than any openside flanker the Lions could put on the field if he was to replace McCaw.

Oh and lol at 26-16 score line vs Southland. Basically the 2nd best side from brtitian can't even romp home against maybe the worst 1st division side in NZ, who all are amateur and have day jobs...but at least they won I guess.

Thats exactly why JW is centre to stop McCaw or Collins getting him, I'm sure he'll still be seeing a lot of them tho, the Southland game was awful, the Irish players need to spend some time on basic skills and need to be able to catch and pass the ball. Henson played ok, he should be in the test side.

I'm Welsh and I hope New Zealand beat England, oops the Lions I mean :)

Well if Steve Thompson isn't playing then I'm happy. He can't throw a ball at the Lineout. He was doing exactly the same bad throws in the World Cup, yet he has no improved at all. If anything, he is worse

Btw, Neil Back is in great form at the moment, he may just shock the New Zealanders

Neil Back is a good player, but at 36 his best days are long gone, even with the best will in the world a 36 year old versus a 24 year old, well theres only only one winner, especially when the 24 year old is stronger, faster and the best player at his position in the world. Even if McCaw doesn't play, Holah is still better than any two the lions have.

Back played well first half against Wellington but the second he just wandered about, he also got a lot of help from the pack compared to Martyn Williams in the NZ Maori match, which made him look good. He's a good player but his best is a long long way behind him.

I'd giddy with anticipation, 24 hours out from the biggest rugby game this year.

Looks like it going to be raining, so it'll be kept tight.

My patriotic prediction is 17-15 to NZ. Its gonna be damn close hopefully.

Owned. Lions were completely outplayed EVERYWHERE!

O'Driscoll getting injured wouldn't have changed the result, they were crap.

Too many area's to fix in a week, they're gonna loose again next week and the series will be over.

lol at the lions No.4 coming from the side and getting binned, stupidest thing I have EVER seen in a test match.

I dunno why the Lions even exist really, its obviously a novelty team made up just to keep peoples interest in the game.

Do they ever get to actually train together and work as a team, or is it just a mad rush before a tour?

Absolutely awesome rugby, it was a masterclass. Lions looked like they had clogs on, NZ looked like it was a beautiful summers evening. Hopefully we'll see a few more Welsh players now, yay.

There's not a damn thing the lions can take from this game and work on. It'll be a 3-0 series whitewash, I'd fake an injury like Hill too, just to get on the plane home.

SCW shouldn't be coaching an under 12's rugby teams never mind a Lions team.

I've not had a chance to watch the game yet but from what I hear I have every right to be angry with them :@

Brodel, to be honest, I think you are bang on correct with how the Lions work. They don't get much training time together and so it's a kind of chaos. I'm not making excuses for the loss, it sounds like NZ completely outplayed them.

I heard something about the Lions not even winning one Lineout, is it true? Or an over-statement?

Backs: Mils Muliaina, Rico Gear, Tana Umaga (captain), Aaron Mauger, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Daniel Carter, Byron Kelleher

Forwards: Rodney So'oialo, Richie McCaw, Jerry Collins, Ali Williams, Chris Jack, Carl Hayman, Keven Mealamu, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves: Derren Witcombe, Greg Somerville, Jono Gibbes, Sione Lauaki, Justin Marshall, Ma'a Nonu, Leon MacDonald.

That backline has so much pace in it. God help the lions if they get space and a dry track, it'll be a slaughter.

Hopefully we'll see some more Welsh players but not enough of them to make a difference in this game. Nice to see Rico Gear and Byron Kelleher starting. I thought Marshalls passing was pretty awful with Dan Carter having to jump for the ball virtually everytime, otherwise the score would have been even worse for the Lions.

Hopefully we'll see some more Welsh players but not enough of them to make a difference in this game. Nice to see Rico Gear and Byron Kelleher starting. I thought Marshalls passing was pretty awful with Dan Carter having to jump for the ball virtually everytime, otherwise the score would have been even worse for the Lions.

586133432[/snapback]

I heard Henson is out with a groin strain. Is he out of the squad of just the starting team?

This Lions team looks better, still hope we carve though :D

Going to auckland and hopefully heading to the BAHQ (Barmy Army Head Quarters) on the viaduct to watch the game. Apparently they have like 40+ Plasma TV's there or some crap :blink: , should be a good atmosphere.

Weather looks sweet for running rugby, and although I am slightly biased, it'll be good to see if the best backline in the world can hit its straps and let loose a few moves :)