Makin' A Wireless Broadband Network

Well, finally broadband has come to my country and I an idea to make a wireless broadband network at my local university. Since the no telephone cable or network line here, wireless is the only way to go. Does anybody here can give me any ideas or steps on how to get started in this task?! :D Any help would be great!! Thanks in advance! :cool:

sig1.jpg

I dont quite understand your question. Are you asking how to setup a Wireless network around the campusa to roam or a wireless connection to an internet connection. I.E. a last mile solution.

well if you want coverage for your room, you would need to get an Access point. Depending on how far you want to reach either get a commercial AP (Cisco, Enterasys) or a soho (Linksys, SMC). you would probably want to get one that runs atleast 128 bit encryption. you would need some cards also

If you want to get the area outside your dorm room get a Enterasys Roamabout unit with an multi directional antennea. Some are 180 degrees, some are 90. This option does cost money. usually for all the parts about 1 grand US starting out.

Unless you are the net admin there would be very little you could do to setup a Wireless network around campusa. But it could be done.

Dont know if that makes sense. Been up a long time so I dont know if that answers your question or not.

Thats does help a bit... but what I really am trying to do is PROVIDE the service to other student on campus. Meaning I will be the NetAdmin :D. Info. such as how to set it up the servers, how to set amount of bandwidth per user, what proggy to use (the best), yada, yada, yada that kind of stuff. Can we chat or s'thing coz i really don't like talking like this? :confused:

sig1.jpg