American football for wimps?

39 members have voted

1. 1. American football for wimps?

• American Football Players
    • Rugby Players
    • Hell, I dunno.

There seems to be a sentiment among the non-american members here that American football players are wimps because of all the padding. They seem to thing Rugby players are the 'real men'.

I think this just shows their ignorance of American football. Rugby players are tough guys, but they do not measure up to American Football players (Pro or College).

I wonder if you could find the average size of a rugby player vs. a football player...I'd have to imagine it would be much larger.

And if you think about it, all the padding does is make you want to hit people harder, and protect you from serious injury so you can do it all season long.

There was a documenty on BBC2 not long ago about this. They showed a rugby player and a American Football player swap places for a month.

Put it this way, the american football player was so glad to be back in america after the month.

He couldn't hack the fact that he wasn't padded up to the eyeballs, fists to the head etc etc. The rugby player said he found it as physically demanding but the fact that there was no injury to him whatsoever made him think that it was easier.

American football players IMO aren't weak, just weaker.

I've played Rugby on a professional level and there really are animals in the game, stamping on chests, broken necks, full out punches etc etc. I'd love to give American Football a go just to see what it's like although I can't imagine it being very punishing.

Yeah, that's what I would assume Dazzla. But I don't think American football players are wekaer by any means. I just think they are more interested in playing a game then getting punched in the face. American Football is like wrestling and running combined, rugby is more like boxing and running. *sez me*

Dazzla, you don't suppose the fact that he was an American got him a few extra punches to the head, etc do you? Naw. Most of the rough stuff in rugby seems to be dirty play? Or is that stuff OK? I'm rugby-ignorant.

Originally posted by TurdFerg

Dazzla, you don't suppose the fact that he was an American got him a few extra punches to the head, etc do you? Naw. Most of the rough stuff in rugby seems to be dirty play? Or is that stuff OK? I'm rugby-ignorant.

It's not OK per se, but it's common. I've got plenty of knees to the face when playing rugby, that's what I'm getting at.

American footballers are all padded up and it seems very tactical. Every time I've every played a Rugby match, I've always ended getting a real smack in the face, or giving it out.

Put it this way, there have been a million times when I have wished I was padded up like the Americans...

Originally posted by Dazzla

Put it this way, there have been a million times when I have wished I was padded up like the Americans...

Lol...have you actually been out on the field and had the though, "this really hurts...I do wish I was padded up like those Americans are"

And besides, American football players get hurt with all those pads on...do you think it's because they aren't as tough, or because they're getting hit by 350 lb. defensive players?

Well I was once playing a match where I had almost recovered from a dislocated shoulder and I had the tiniest bit of strapping on it. I got a nice stamp all up in my shoulder with stud marks down my chest and a ripped shirt.

I'm pretty sure that would have hurt less if I had all that big ass padding on me.

Rest assured though, he didn't get away with it ;)

Originally posted by use_imagination

ditto!

i don't give a s*** actually!

But you care enough to type out a response? Do you respond to every thread? Do you have anything else to do?

they are probably equally tough the men playing american football are usually a lot larger then that of those playing rugby ( i think ) in american football there are guys that are 350 LBs and can run the quarter mile in under a minute ...imagine that beast running at your ass even with the pads..its not gonna feel good!

How can you even begin to say American football players are weaker? The actual football players have no say in whether they wear pads or not, its a rule that they must. If you dont wear the pads, you dont play simple as that. The reason this rule came about is because of all the freaking injuries that used to occur. Look back on when American football first started, they wore leather caps that are the equivalent of wearing a thick sock on your head. People used to get paralyzed left and right because of the brutality of American football. So lets see which is worse, missing teeth, or not being able to walk for the rest of your life. I'm not trying to say rugby is weak, im sure rugby players are very tough, but I played American football for 12 years of my life, and I didn't play so I could brag about my scars or how many teeth I'm missing, I played cuz I loved the sport. And despite the amount of pads I was REQUIRED to wear, I still received a very bad concussion in 9th grade, and spent the night in the hospital, I almost had to have a hole drilled in my skull to relieve the build up of blood. So don't even try to say that American football is any less of a violent sport than rugby! :mad:

Oh and another point that just came to mind is, usually the rugby players are all drunk during their games, heck I've even seen kegs on the sidelines during games! It's not hard to be tough when youve got beer muscles.

Aussie Rules Footy

Being a former Aussie myself, I like AFL footy far better than north american football, which is too much stop and go and too much padding.

Originally posted by Zoneblitz61

How can you even begin to say American football players are weaker? The actual football players have no say in whether they wear pads or not, its a rule that they must. If you dont wear the pads, you dont play simple as that. The reason this rule came about is because of all the freaking injuries that used to occur. Look back on when American football first started, they wore leather caps that are the equivalent of wearing a thick sock on your head. People used to get paralyzed left and right because of the brutality of American football. So lets see which is worse, missing teeth, or not being able to walk for the rest of your life. I'm not trying to say rugby is weak, im sure rugby players are very tough, but I played American football for 12 years of my life, and I didn't play so I could brag about my scars or how many teeth I'm missing, I played cuz I loved the sport. And despite the amount of pads I was REQUIRED to wear, I still received a very bad concussion in 9th grade, and spent the night in the hospital, I almost had to have a hole drilled in my skull to relieve the build up of blood. So don't even try to say that American football is any less of a violent sport than rugby! :mad:

i couldnt have said that anybetter