Wireless Question

Hi all,

Right, I am on the lookout for an iBook so I'm scouting eBay and the like looking for a G3 or G4 at a decent price. I'm not looking to spend more than ?350, ?400 tops.

Basically, when I get one I will want to be able to surf the net wireless from downstairs in my house. At the moment I have an iMac G5 which I bought when they were updated not long ago. It has an Airport Extreme Card and everything and am I right in thinking that...

1. As long as my iBook has an Aiport Extreme card I will be able to connect to my iMac G5 (Share Files etc) ?

2. Use my iMac G5's internet connection (iMac G5 is connected to a wired router via ethernet) ?

Am I right? Or will I need to buy a wireless router or anything? I'm not too clued up on anything network relate:p:p

Thanks a lot guys,

Lee

* If anyone has an iBook for sale in the UK or has seen a good deal on eBay then let me know!

Well, I want to be able to share files wirelessly between my iMac which is my main desktop computer and the iBook.

I also want to be able to surf the net wirelessly on the iBook. Both the iMac and the iBook have Airport Extreme cards with my iMac connected via Ethernet to a wired router.

I just want to know whether I will be able to do what is listed above by how I described it.

---------------------------

Let me list what I want to do, with what equipment I want to be able to do it with.

1. iMac G5

- Connected to wired router via Ethernet

- Has an Airport Extreme card fitted

2. iBook

- Has an Airport Extreme card fitted

3. Can I connect both of these two computers together wirelessly (via Aiport Extreme Cards) so I can share and view files between the two?

4. Will I be able to surf the net wirelessly on my iBook by connecting to the iMac via Aiport?

Hope that's clearer, I'm sure I was told a while back that it would work but I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

These pics might help you some when setting it up:

On your iMac, click on the Airport icon in the menu bar and select "Create Network" (pic1).

Name your network and set any options you might want such as a password (pic2)

In System Preferences, go to Sharing, Internet Sharing and set it to share your Ethernet connection over Airport and press the start button (pic3)

Your the man roadwarrior, thanks a lot dude.

Now all I need is to buy me an iBook :) Thanks again man, much appreciated.

Lee

Your the man roadwarrior, thanks a lot dude.

Now all I need is to buy me an iBook :) Thanks again man, much appreciated.

Lee

586129768[/snapback]

No problem. Glad I could help. The options for file and printer sharing are also in that Sharing dialog box.

Hello,

Asking for a little bit of advice if you guys don't mind.

Basically, as you know, I'm in the market for an iBook. Now, I don't want to spend much so I'm after an older second-hand one.

Now, my question is if I was to buy an iBook G3 and it was fitted with an Airport Card (not Extreme) would I still be able to do what I listed above (share files/surf net wirelessly)?

I ask as my iMac G5 has an Airport Extreme Card and these weren't about when the G3 was out so I'm just wondering how the two will play together.

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Lee.

I ask as my iMac G5 has an Airport Extreme Card and these weren't about when the G3 was out so I'm just wondering how the two will play together.

586145135[/snapback]

They work just fine using 'common' base stations like the Linksys WRT54* or using Apple's own wifi products. For the sort term (or long term) using one of your macs as a base station and sharing out its Internet connection wirelessly work just fine too.

Got an iBook today and I just want to say thanks to everyone for their advice, especially roadwarrior. Your advice helped me get the wireless network set up really quick.

I can now share files and surf the net wirelessly as well as share my music via iTunes wirelessly from my iMac to my iBook.

Cheers guys!

Got an iBook today and I just want to say thanks to everyone for their advice, especially roadwarrior. Your advice helped me get the wireless network set up really quick.

I can now share files and surf the net wirelessly as well as share my music via iTunes wirelessly from my iMac to my iBook.

Cheers guys!

586172142[/snapback]

I'm glad I could help.