Ati Radeon 8500

19 members have voted

1. 1. Ati Radeon 8500

• GeForce3 ti-200
    • Ati Radeon 8500

I was wondering if anyone visiting neowin has had a chance to personaly test out this card. The review put up on the card wasn't what i call the greatest i've read. They pretty much said the drivers needed a lot of work so in the long run the card could be great with upgraded drivers. Anyone have interest in this area and know there stuff give me some rundowns on what you would recommend. I'll go from there to decide on either the Geforce3 ti 200 or the ati radeon 8500. I would like to buy one very soon though. Please, give me your advice.

+ MUCH more features (including hydravision and truform)

+ CHEAPER

+ STABLER (less compatiblity issues too. and general pains in the A$$)

- Performance isn't AS high but a few FPS over 120 isnt noticable :)

- Less Drivers Updates

OK thas it ...

But wouldn't somone rather have a lot of updated drivers rather than drivers released every 2 months. If they are released like 2 times every month like denonator drivers you know that bugs are being fixed and optimization is at its fulless, right?

Yeah you right.. and talk about compatibility? Are you kiddin me.. the GeForce cards are more compatible with games than ATI. If you try running the beta games (more specific Unreal 2 Alpha) on a ATI it wont even load. Most developers use GeForce cards as their base to build and test games and when the game is complete they add on support for other cards like ATI and Kyro.

See that is exactly what i'm thinking also. Give the Radeon time and its drivers will mature and improve. From what i've heard the card itself is great but the drivers need tweaking and stuff.

But I just wanted to know what everyone else has to say about the subject. I'm not taking sides just yet but you have to admit the denonator drivers are the ****.

Shotta also had a good point. All ATI cards i've had a problem with compatability. I was maybe hoping this card wouldnt' have that problem. God i'm confused...

What shall i choose...

Compatiblity: ???

NVidia: some random crashes, lockups, not booting with certain motherboards, but all games run HELLA fast for years

ATI: Nice installaion, stable drivers, dependable cards, not all games run perfect...YET

is that the bottom line.... hmm donno yet

What mother board do you have? I've never heard of Nvidia cards giving any of those problems. I never had a lock up or crash playing any game or just using the OS. I had a Radeon VE and it ran pretty good and i never had any problems with it but I now have a Geforce 2 (it was cheaper than that radeon) and it's better to me cuz Max Payne runs at much better frames.

i bought a ati 32 meg ddr card 3 months ago and i couldnt switch resolutions i tryed every driver all the time all it did was crash so i thought it was the card i exchange it for the same one and still the same thing then i just said forget it so i traded it for a geforce2 pro 64 meg ddr is works perfect and its like 2 times faster than that radeon 32 meg ddr so i guess nvidia is the better company

umm one experiance (where one is unsure what the problem really was) is not a basis to make a claim that Nvidia is simply a better company, but ok...

furthermore, i dont belive that this is the site and/or forum in which to argue this kind of stuff :)

nu nu nono.gif Radeon has a good and powerfull hardware components (there are superior than the Geforce3 Ti 500) but then you ask, why is it not better than the GF3 Ti 500 on the benchmarks? Simple reason: drivers are not that good, at least no more than nvidia. It's not a surprise, it's been the weakest point of ATI for a long time! We can only hoppe for them that their driver support will improve in the future, until then GF3 Ti 500 is the ultimate performer.

Well my system specs include:

Custom Built

A7M266 Asus Motherboard

256 Crucial 2100 DDram

1.4 (overclocked 1.5) AMD T-Bird (266 fsb)

16x DVD Drive

19' Avitron Monitor

I think that wraps it up, I have a ATI Rage Fury Pro right now and its a so so card, gets the job done.

hey, i have the exact same card as you! :)

in fact, i was thinking about getting a radeon 8500 myself. but i can't put myself up to it.. driver problems scare me. was thinking of moving over to nvidia. actually, i'm still undecided..

i think i'll wait another two weeks, i read somewhere that there should be some new drivers mid-november..

• 2 weeks later...

new drivers are out ;) so which card? im also in ur position....buying either radeon 8500 or geforce3 ti200.....

anyone tried out the new drivers yet for the ATI??

damn.isnt it hard.....

thanx

i think i'm locked in for a radeon 8500 instead of a geForce card.

the general impression i get from those who have tried the new drivers are pretty positive.. although there's still a couple bugs and there's room for improvement.

but the only reason the radeon 8500 makes sense for me is the price. it's about $100 cheaper than the geForce3 here where i live. plus, it seems to have a lot of useful features.. like truform, smoothvision, and hydravision.

even though drivers aren't the best, it looks like they are improving. and unless someone can convince me otherwise.. 8500 seems to be the way to go. :)

I am going to pick up a Radeon 8500 real soon. It is cheaper than a Ti200 by like... 20 bucks (hey that matters when you are cheap like me :D ), OEMs ... and is really on par with a Ti500 ... so many features too ... For me i went 3dFX > Nvidia > ATI. 8500 will be my first ATI card. I had ALOT of problems with chipsets for AMD chips and the Nvidia cards, took me weeks to fix problems i was having, and a newbie would NEVER have fixed it.