Free 4mb Broadband

today I went to a friends house and set up his new wireless network package, only to find that when I did a wireless network search there was not only his new connection but his neighbours 4mb connection... so we connected it up and now he has 4mb connection instead of 512kbps... nothing wrong with this in my eyes... the bloke should secure his network...:laugh:

Anyways just thought I?d share this cause it?s pretty cool...

Edited by digitalsoft

so we connected it up and now he has 4mb connection instead of 512kbps...

586139948[/snapback]

Not exactly ... the speeds will be reduced.

And doing this is leeching, try not to get caught. ;)

the connection status is high, i think his room must be next to the router.. going right through the wall.. and we did an online connection test and it prompted as just under 4mb... :)

Isn't it considered illegal? Something around theft :/ ? You're stealing their services, regardless if it's open to the neighborhood... If you place items on your lawn, it doesn't mean people can just take them...

At the very least, they could sue your friend.

wow... it's people like you that i need to put a firewall on my network...

if i didn't i'd get a little more juice out of my modem... why do people do this? it's fun for awhile, but sooner or later, your gonna get caught, get in trouble, and what i really hope he does, is scans his network, to see whos stealing his internet, and hax0rfy's you

yes, but the downside of this, besides it being illegal, is that the neighbour can simply turn his router off and your without 4mb. some people turn off their modems overnight.

I don't know. I feel it is not really trespassing since it is not protected. The owner has his responsibility to secure his own network from others to intrude. If other people takes private data from the unsecured network, then it would be against the law. However, if it is just for Internet connectivity, I don't find anything wrong about that. What about the hotspots people try to detect around their area for Internet? Are they against the law? If so, then the vendor who create those "hot-spot finder" should get sued.

dL

lol & then you find out his ISP logs how much he downloads, and he wonders how on earth hes using 10GB a day when hes only home for 6 hours or so..

:whistle:

two neighbours connected to my wifi.

****ed me off, reported them to BT (BT said i should handle it but they'd send them a letter), each paid a months rental for me. They eventually got their own wireless networks, ones secured :p, and one is open but too weak.

If I caught someone Leeching Off My wireless 4mb Connection Id be for sending their computers ALL Manner of Nasty things.... I've got mine set with 256bit Encryption so Your going to have to REALLY want in :-)

people your talking as if I?m the one receiving the connection, I simply helped my friend... also it would be hard for his neighbour to find out who is stealing his signal as there is know way of him finding out who it is... know name or data attached... and personally I wouldn?t use it if it were mine.. I use a wireless network and I?d be very annoyed to find someone else using my connection... but then again I wouldn?t be so stupid as to run an unsecured network... I wouldn?t have connected it if my mate wasn?t there... But as he saw the connection he wanted to 'explore'

His in the UK, Not USA, Does anyone know the laws for this sort of thing in the UK? I wasn't aware there even was any (yet).

586140102[/snapback]

The DPA (Data Protection Act) covers the UK too. Well.. you can't really access his data but you can steal his bandwidth, hence "bandwidth theft". But eh, who cares? If the guy doesnt secure his router it probably means he's a computer newbie... and newbies don't check those kinda things, as long as they're connected :laugh:

Doesn't matter if he is a computer newbie, no one should have to have their privacy invaded and their bandwidth taken.

And yes, you can be caught, very easily. Go into the Router settings and you'll see IP/MAC addresses of what devices are connected to the router.

You think its all fun and games, lets see who'll be laughing if you get caught.

EDIT: Also, you've posted on here too, so if you get caught and the police like to take alook through all the sites you've been, you have basicly told everyone that you are stealing it, you know perfectly well what could happen but you still are trying to take the p**s, so an excuse like "Well i didn't know because i'm stupid" won't get you anywhere.

Just my 2 pence.