Looking for a network bandwidth program...

Question

kylejn

I don't even know if a program like this exists, but I figured if it does, then the friendly people here at Neowin would know about it! Here's what I want:

My school has a 2GB daily transfer limit, combined upload and download. What I want is a program that will monitor my traffic from 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM and automatically kill my network connection when my total amount of data transferred within that 24 hour period equals 2 GB. Other features I would like, but aren't necessary, are simultanously enabling my wireless connection, which has a 750 MB daily transfer limit, and letting me use that once the wired connection is disabled.

Does anybody know if a program like this is available?

Thanks!

10 answers to this question

bobrosstonvillestate

Yes I do know if its available.

kylejn
Yes I do know if its available.

586154737[/snapback]

*sigh*

How about a name? A link? Something?

former1

Think he was being sarcastic obake, I have no clue as to where you could find such a program so erm best of luck is all I can say : /

kylejn
Think he was being sarcastic obake, I have no clue as to where you could find such a program so erm best of luck is all I can say : /

586154853[/snapback]

Heh, maybe so. :blush:

bobrosstonvillestate

Yes, I was. Sorry lol :shifty:

RadishTM

Have a look at DU Meter.

Radish?

kylejn

Thanks, that's REAL close to what I want. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have an option to disable the network connection after X amount of data has been transferred, so we'll see.

Still, though, thanks!

Echilon

NetLimiter may be able to do what you want, but failing that, what's wrong with getting DU meter and setting it to alert you when you get to 1.95Gb in a day?

kylejn
NetLimiter may be able to do what you want, but failing that, what's wrong with getting DU meter and setting it to alert you when you get to 1.95Gb in a day?

586156853[/snapback]

Well, the problem is that I may not be in my room if I've got some downloads going or something. For example, I want to download that new SUSE Linux thing over Bittorrent. However, since BT both uploads and downloads at the same time, I can't always be sure what the totals are, especially if I leave my room to go out for the day. Having it automatically kill my connection when it reaches X amount of data transferred is really what I'm looking for.

I'll take a look at this NetLimiter thing. Thanks!

jp10558
Well, the problem is that I may not be in my room if I've got some downloads going or something. For example, I want to download that new SUSE Linux thing over Bittorrent. However, since BT both uploads and downloads at the same time, I can't always be sure what the totals are, especially if I leave my room to go out for the day. Having it automatically kill my connection when it reaches X amount of data transferred is really what I'm looking for.

I'll take a look at this NetLimiter thing. Thanks!

586157277[/snapback]

Best thing I can think of would be something like allegrosurf or wingate might do this too, where you can proxy things through them and set limits - it's sort of like an ISP program.