[Soccer] Gerrard Wants To Leave

Liverpool FC today issued the following press statement regarding Steven Gerrard.

"The club has made it crystal clear we want to keep Steven at Anfield. Sadly, he has told us this afternoon that he will not accept our offer of an improved and extended contract because he wants to leave Liverpool. We very much regret the decision he has taken."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year he said he wants to win trophies. Well we got to the Carling Cup Final (which we would of won if he hadnt of scored an own goal) and we won the Champions League which is as good as it gets. Then he says "How can I leave after a night like this?".

He needs his head sorting out. But remember this, no player is bigger than Liverpool.

Edited by Martyn

What you say is very true, but I am afraid to say, money talks! It seems to me that now day?s players are very mercenary and old fashioned loyalty does not really count for that much anymore!:(:(

boo yah please make an offer manchester united!! i'd love him to play for man u. my friend a liverpool supporter is shattered about this news

oh well.. he was good while he lasted, move on.

a real supporter would not say that, i would be crying if ronaldo or van nistelrooy left man u lol

anyway there is a good article over at soccernet.com about it

I still cant believe it. Im gutted.

After winning the Champions League and with things looking good at the moment for us I would of thought he would hang about for another year at least.

the only good news today is that the trip is now ordered and confirmed. Going to see L?pool-Sunderland in august - three nights in London and two in Liverpool. Guaranteed tickets on the Kop :)) Can?t wait.

Every year we go to the first home game of the season. It?s mighty fun!

Wow i would have never thought that he would leave Liverpool after winning the Champions Leauge. Well whoever he goes to will have a brilliant player.

boo yah please make an offer manchester united!! i'd love him to play for man u. my friend a liverpool supporter is shattered about this news

586165912[/snapback]

Yeah, I havn't heard anything about Man Utd even enquiring about him, he would be an ideal replacement for Keano.

It's time for the Glazers to step up and put their money where their mouth is.

Yeah, I havn't heard anything about Man Utd even enquiring about him, he would be an ideal replacement for Keano.

It's time for the Glazers to step up and put their money where their mouth is.

586167606[/snapback]

Don't talk silly, he'd never go to there. What even makes you say it, haha Gerrard at United, maybe Rooney yea, but United absolutely not he's too much of a red inside. Apparently chelsea is his next destination after hearing from a good source. If anywhere I'd rather him go to Madrid, can't imagine seeing him in a Chelsea shirt. Bad sad news it is but the club is number 1 and not the player so let him go, get the 35+ Million for him, and let by gones be by gones, sure Rafa will invest it wisely.

End.

Don't talk silly, he'd never go to there. What even makes you say it, haha Gerrard at United, maybe Rooney yea, but United absolutely not he's too much of a red inside. Apparently chelsea is his next destination after hearing from a good source. If anywhere I'd rather him go to Madrid, can't imagine seeing him in a Chelsea shirt. Bad sad news it is but the club is number 1 and not the player so let him go, get the 35+ Million for him, and let by gones be by gones, sure Rafa will invest it wisely.

End.

586168038[/snapback]

It doesn't work like that anymore, just look at Figo going to Real. If he thinks it would be benificial to him then he would go. Unfortunately money talks and at the moment Chelski have all the money so he'll probably go to the scum.

I was just saying that the Glazers said that if another Rooney situation arose then they would let Sir Alex make an offer. IMO Gerrard being sold is one of those situations.

so he'll probably go to the scum.

586170014[/snapback]

Not very nice to call your own club scum is it? :D I highly doubt Manure will be able to afford Steven Gerrard especially since you are ?600 million in debt. Anyway he is no Rooney and wouldnt go to you.

Im pleased that he is staying but I dont think he should mess the club about like this. It is Liverpool FC not Steven Gerrard FC. By all means sign your new contract, keep your head down and get on with playing your football, you owe the fans big time now and I need to earn their respect.

You shouldnt need to leave anyway. You are captain of your boyhood club, you have won every thing you could possibly win at the age of 25 except the Premiership, you are being paid a great amount and you have the chance to become an Anfield legend.

I hope that he won't remain captain.He knows that his bridges with the fans don't exist anymore...

I hope that he won't remain captain.He knows that his bridges with the fans don't exist anymore...

586186239[/snapback]

Well, he has offered to give it up, but the players think he should have it and so does Rafa.

a real supporter would not say that, i would be crying if ronaldo or van nistelrooy left man u lol

586165954[/snapback]

actually a real fan would realise that no player is bigger than or constitutes the whole of the club.

Whilst gerrard is an exceptionally good player and has been the core of the team for a while, it has been shown this season that Liverpool can do well without him. It is good that gerrard is staying but i do not think that it would have been the end of the world had he left, ?35m is alot of money to buy some pretty decent players with.......

I was more upset when Fowler (God) left than when gerrard said he was going.