[NHL] Labour Deal Done, paper reports

050203_nhl_talks_250.jpg

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, left, and the players' association executive director Bob Goodenow.

Jul. 7, 2005. 08:04 AM

NHL deal done, paper reports

Salaries capped, contracts rolled back, new entry draft rule

FROM ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES ? The NHL and its players' association reached a tentative deal on a new collective bargaining agreement that, if finalized, would end a lengthy lockout, the Los Angeles Times reported today.

There had been several reports that a deal was imminent.

The newspaper, citing anonymous sources close to the negotiations, said the agreement will feature hard salary cap linked to 54 per cent of league revenue, a 24 per cent rollback of existing contractsb> and qualifying offers. It will also include a provision thawill limit the salary of any player to 20 per cent of the team capb> figure in any season.The salary cap will be $37 millionb> (U.S.) and won't include medical and dental benefits and pension payments, the Times reported.

Details will be presented to the NHL executive committee in New York on Monday, the newspaper said, and players will meet to decide whether to approve the deal.

Under the new agreement, the league's All-Star game will be dropped next season anplayers will be allowed to represent their home countries at the Turin Olympicsb> next February, the Times said. Each team will also have an equal chance in the lottery for the No. 1 pick in this year's entry draft.

The new deal includes a provision under whic15 per cent of each player's paycheque will go into an escrow accountb> until revenue is calculated after each season, the paper said. If league spending on salaries exceeds 54 per cent of revenue, the difference between the salaries paid and the negotiated percentage will be paid to teams from the escrow account. If teams spend less than 54 per cent, the escrow money will revert to players.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman cancelled the hockey season Feb. 16 because of the lockout, which started Sept. 16The NHL became the first major pro sports league in North America to lose an entire season to a labour disputeb>.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...id=968332188492

"...and won't include medical and dental benefits and pension payments, the Times reported."

Ouch. Would the NHL be the only major North American professional sport without a medical plan?

"...and won't include medical and dental benefits and pension payments, the Times reported."

Ouch. Would the NHL be the only major North American professional sport without a medical plan?

586176473[/snapback]

that's crazy

They are saying the insurance payments won't be included in the salary cap, therefore, a player may get a 30 million dollar contract and a million in benefits, but it won't be included. At least that's what I've heard from other sources. Just the outright money the player is making has to be under the cap.

Yes! I've been having hockey withdraws for over a year! Finally I'll be able to watch the Avs again :happy:

that sucks..it was so good when they didnt showed hockey :D

586177298[/snapback]

Easy for you to say.

Equal chances for each team to grab Crosby? I love it! Detroit wasn't gonna have a chance otherwise.

that sucks..it was so good when they didnt showed hockey :D

586177298[/snapback]

Wow, you're cool. Leave the thread then.

but will hockey be on TV i heard something about ABC and ESPN not showing hockey any more?

586177698[/snapback]

I thought i heard something like that too....i'm not sure whats gonna happen :no: :unsure:

On another note, anyone hear about some of the supposed new rule changes?

- No red line (it will still be there, but only for icing - no 2 line passes)

- No-touch icing

- reduced size of goalie pads

- Tag-up offsides (i guess this means that all offsides will be delayed offsides, meaning the player can get back onsides so the play will resume)

I thought they had already drew for the Lottery Draft? That's what TSN reported anyway... and guess who got first pick? Her ah.. yeah Toronto!

No touch icing is a bad thing, guys rush to get the icing call or the other guy to nulify it for things like deep zone face offs at the end of a period or power play opportunity, don't take that away.

- Tag-up offsides (i guess this means that all offsides will be delayed offsides, meaning the player can get back onsides so the play will resume)

586177752[/snapback]

i thought that was the least controversial rule change of them all and the most common sensical

About time. Foolish players. Thye should have taken the deal in Febuary. Now I can't wait for the summer to be over so I can have hockey again :)

I thought they had already drew for the Lottery Draft? That's what TSN reported anyway... and guess who got first pick? Her ah.. yeah Toronto!

586177814[/snapback]

Nothing official yet.

They may do worst record over the last 5 years, or they may just do a completely random lottery with no one having an advantage over another team. Who knows?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to Crosby. Lugano of the Swiss league is offering him $4m a year as opposed to the $850,000 cap on rookie salaries in the NHL. Im sure in the long run the NHL would be a better option, but unfortunately many only think in the short run.

I highly doubt Crosby is going to go overseas... he's had that option for so long and they've been throwing the money at him for years, I just don't see it happening. Plus Crosby just seems more interested in NHL than playing overseas.

586177814[/snapback]

That was a mock draft that Toronto won. Don't count on them winning again. The odds are not in their favour.