Add CPU to 2003 Server?

What is the server's current CPU? If it has Intel's HT, then no you wouldn't have to, because it would already have the SMB kernel. If not, you would have to follow a method where you have to delete the HAL. IIRC.

Standard has support for 4 Processors. Enterprise 8.

HT Processors are NOT counted to the license limit. Windows Server 2003 understands a logical processor where as 2000 doesn't.

so 2 XEON's with HT enabled only count as 2 Processors. (They'll appear as 4 in Task Manager).

Standard has support for 4 Processors. Enterprise 8.

HT Processors are NOT counted to the license limit. Windows Server 2003 understands a logical processor where as 2000 doesn't.

so 2 XEON's with HT enabled only count as 2 Processors. (They'll appear as 4 in Task Manager).

586205447[/snapback]

Steven, I think when you are speaking technically though, you either use the single proc HAL or multi proc HAL. If Intel Hyperthreading is enabled, Windows will install using the multi proc HAL. So if you already have that HAL installed, adding another physical proc will not be an issue. In terms of licensing, he would only have a max of 4 procs (two physical, two logical) in a two proc system in which Windows Server 2003 Standard would be just fine.

I'm going to sorta bump this thread and ask a similar question, but a slightly different OS. I just installed my Athlon X2 Dual Core, and I had a single core installed. When I booted in XP and XP x64 (2003 code), it detected the new processor and had me reboot. Now the system reads it is ACPI Multiprocessor PC (ACPI Multiprocessor x64-based PC in x64) and task manager shows both cores there. Should I go ahead and reinstall Windows? I don't mind if I have to reinstall XP 32bit and XP x64, not a problem for me. :)

In terms of licensing, he would only have a max of 4 procs (two physical, two logical) in a two proc system in which Windows Server 2003 Standard would be just fine.

586205560[/snapback]

No, thats the thing in terms of licensing it would only count as 2 processors. The logical processors don't count. They do count in Windows 2000. They dont' count in Windows Server 2003.

Windows 2000 Server: 2 Processors with HT = 4

Windows Server 2003: 2 Processors with HT = 2

Which means you can have "8" in Windows Server, 4 Physical with HT. That counts as 4 which is your license max.

Task Manager will show 8 but to the system it will only count 4.

• 4 months later...

Hi

i have a rather strange situation,

i have installed Windows 2003 Enterprise on a System with a Asus NCT-D and 2 Xeon Noconas

Thing is, windows only shows me one CPU in task manager (yes i ckecked it to show me all the cpus), in taskmanager i see 4 cpus but under Computer it only says ACPI and the installed dll is hal.dll...

how can i get it to change to multiprocessor HAL?

i tried to update the driver, but it only lets me select ACPI and standard PC...

thanks

cobra

To change the HAL installed on your system:

Open Device Manager. Under the Computer node, you'll find one of the following:

Standard PC

MPS Uniprocessor PC

MPS Multiprocessor PC

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

ACPI Multiprocessor PC

post-9158-1134631266.png

The first three HALs are used on non-ACPI compliant hardware, the last three are for ACPI compliant machines. You'll have to figure out which one yours is and which one you need to use. It shouldn't be that hard; in your case, you'll either have the Multiprocessor HAL already installed and you won't have to change anything. Or, you might have the Uniprocessor HAL and have to change to the Multiprocessor. To do so, select the HAL and click Update Driver. Choose to Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) and then choose Don't search. I will choose a driver to install. Ensure the Show compatible hardware checkbox is marked and then select your desired HAL.

Big fat warning here: MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL ONLY A HAL DRIVER DESIGNED FOR YOUR HARDWARE!!! If you choose the wrong type, your machine WILL BE unbootable and you'll probably have to reinstall Windows.

Edit: Read this MSKB article for info on the different types of HAL drivers and how to change them. According to the article, you are fully able to simply install the CPU and Windows will detect it and automatically change the HAL as required. This is what I suggest :yes:

On Windows XP and later versions, the ACPI Uniprocessor HAL and the MPS Uniprocessor HAL recognize the existence of more than one processor and report the MP ID. Plug and Play detects that the computer devnode's hardware ID list has changed and moves the devnode back through the "found new hardware" detection process. Therefore, when you add a second processor, the MP files (HAL and kernels) are automatically installed, and you do not have to manually update the driver in Device Manager.
Edited by John

as mentioned i have

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC installed, which is wrong i presume..

Don't search. I will choose a driver to install.[/i] Ensure the Show compatible hardware checkbox is marked and then select your desired HAL.

problem is, i only have the following selection, although 4 CPUs are shown in taskmanager

Standard PC

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

Help! ;-)