Program Interface

Question

first one is nicer to look at, but the second one actually tells you what the buttons do, if you could put that into the first one, it would be good ;)

11 answers to this question

You cannot expect general, non tech-savy people to intuitively know to check the tooltips. The normal user will just sit there confused and wonder what all the buttons will do. Even experienced computer users won't like your interface because they (at least I will) want to know for sure what a button will do and don't want to waste time always waiting for tooltips. In short, you should add little text fields with short descriptions below each button. This would allow for a user to grow accustomed to your new interface and eventually navigate by button-image only.

Aside from the usability, your new interface is much more appealing than your old one!

i like the 2nd one i don't care much for pictures as cwizman said, waiting for a tooltip to popup isn't all that good of an idea. i would have to agree that adding small text by the picture would be much better and i would like the new design better.

I like the first one ... with one condition... having though bubbles ... :) on top of each icon to explain what it is for ..

Why not make it customizable? Have the button text underneath each button to start and then allow the users to turn it off in preferences if they want?