LCD VS Plasma?

Ok, Im confused...

Im looking for a new TV (42" +), and i don't know weather LCD or plasma?

I'm looking for something that will look nice with PS2, PC input, SD/HD TV, and anything else i might want...

Any ideas, or definitions of plasma and lcd differences, and then you get Sony with the whole "3 LCD" thing... ?

plasmas suck....unless you want a cheap, short term solution.

586209652[/snapback]

That's not always the case. Plasmas (the ones from reputable companies) can last just as long as an LCD (both have a life span of a rated 60,000 hours). I do prefer LCD, especially the Samsung LNR line, but plasmas aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. That is, of course, as long as you get a good one and not something cheap-o.

If you live in a high altitude region, plasmas will not function very well. Also, plasmas suffer from the "burn-in" effect. So if you plan to hookup a game console like PS2 the static images can possibly burn in after a long time.

I'd go for the LCD.

If you live in a high altitude region, plasmas will not function very well.  Also, plasmas suffer from the "burn-in" effect.  So if you plan to hookup a game console like PS2 the static images can possibly burn in after a long time.

I'd go for the LCD.

586209708[/snapback]

Yes, they can get burn in, but newer sets are much less prone to it than any plasmas in the past. There are also units available from companies, such as LG, that have a "white wash" feature to essentially correct any burn in.

Yes, they can get burn in, but newer sets are much less prone to it than any plasmas in the past. There are also units available from companies, such as LG, that have a "white wash" feature to essentially correct any burn in.

586209828[/snapback]

You can correct burn in that has already taken place? Or did you mean "white wash" is a way to prevent it.

You can correct burn in that has already taken place?  Or did you mean "white wash" is a way to prevent it.

586209841[/snapback]

It can remove the burn in after it's occured. Read this about the LG's burn in protection system:

Four image-sticking prevention options reduce the ?screen burn-in? issues inherent in plasma displays. Two of the technologies are preventive in nature: one works by slightly moving the image every ten minutes, and the other creates intermittent variations in brightness. Because these methods are so subtle that they go unnoticed by viewers, they can be employed while the display is being used. Two other LG-developed techniques for eliminating burn-in are inversion and whitewash, which can be employed when the unit is not being used for viewing. The ?inversion? option neutralizes the burned-in image by mapping a reverse image to the affected area, thereby restoring the original configuration, while the ?whitewash? option flushes the entire screen with a white screen for a period of time, theoretically ?washing away? any evidence of burn-in.

If i got a plasma, i wouldn't get a cheap one, if i were to get one, i'm thinking of a Sony WEGA range one... But it seems that LCD is winning...

Ok, Im confused...

Im looking for a new TV (42" +), and i don't know weather LCD or plasma?

I'm looking for something that will look nice with PS2, PC input, SD/HD TV, and anything else i might want...

Any ideas, or definitions of plasma and lcd differences, and then you get Sony with the whole "3 LCD" thing... ?

586206351[/snapback]

Any rp lcd tv is 3lcd, sony just decided to start marketing it to make it seem new and exciting to potential customers. Who would want a dlp if they can have a 3lcd tv (or atleast that's what sony wants people to think).

42+ tvs that are regular lcd and not rp lcd will be very very expensive, and don't offer anywhere near the picture quality of a good plasma.

Both lcd and plasma tvs reach their half brightness point at 60,000 hours. Both suffer from degraded color as they lose brightness. In a plasma and any other phosphor based tv the blue phosphors wear the fastest, and in lcd and any other tv based on ccfls or lamps the colors degrade as the lamp or backlight ages.

An lcd tv will allow you to avoid possible burn-in, but you will have to live with inferior black-levels, imperfect colors, color-temperatures, and grey-scale, and limited viewing angles.

Newer plasmas claim to offer crt lvl burn-in resistance, and there are numerous accounts of people who use there plasmas for gaming and never even have a hint of image retention (the precursor to permanent burn-in). However, with a plasma you can get near perfect greyscale, color-temperatures, blacks, and pretty much crt lvl viewing angles. As long as you properly break-in a plasma and follow a few simple safety measures, you really shouldn't have any trouble keeping a plasma burn free.

For the cost of an lcd tv over 42"es you can buy a very nice 50" plasma. Lcds are getting better, and with led backlights in the future the technology will vastly improve as time goes on, but as of right now an lcd tv simply has inferior image quality to that of a good plasma.

Oh, and pioneer and panasonic have the best plasmas, while sharp makes the best lcds. If you can stand the samung's dnie then you could look at those, but dnie for the most part degrades image quality more than it helps. Also, samungs usually have a green push, whereas the sharps have a red push. Though neither are good, the red push is better for skin tones.