Getting some New Clubs

ok well im just starting into golf..played off and on for ahwile but have been going on and starting to play more reguraly and well ive been bumming clubs off my dad/friends and its time for me to get ma own.. :)

so what do you reccomend, im not looking to buy top of the line as im sure ill ding this up just beeing a nublian golfer :blush: i was thinking of maybe getting some cobra's? i dont need woods, might need a putter if i can score a good deal.

also any good golf online shops with good prices? thanks alot :)

also, im in the US of A :)

ok well im just starting into golf..played off  and on for ahwile but have been going on and starting to play more reguraly and well ive been bumming clubs off my dad/friends and its time for me to get ma own.. :)

so what do you reccomend, im not looking to buy top of the line as im sure ill ding this up just beeing a nublian golfer :blush:  i was thinking of maybe getting some cobra's? i dont need woods, might need a putter if  i can score a good deal. 

also any good golf online shops with good prices? thanks alot :)

also, im in the US of A :)

586207663[/snapback]

I chose Cobras when i bought my first set.

I would go down to a golf shop and hit with the clubs they have out. Then decide and have them sized for you. You can always find generic copies of the clubs for way cheaper.

What is your budget?  Is it just for irons?

586207823[/snapback]

budget is right around 300$, really could be for a whole set or anything..

budget is right around 300$, really could be for a whole set or anything..

586208088[/snapback]

Also check out a local golfsmith and see how much for a custom fittted set. Most likely ir will be more than $300, but it really could be the last set you buy. Mine are custom fitted and not a name brand you'd had ever heard of, but the shafts are matched to just +/- 1 gram and are completely adjusted for my stance and swing. May be worth the investment.

If these are your first, and you are trying the game out, get some big name brand...but make sure they are knockoffs. (imitation)

that way you have decent clubs, cheap, and you will feel better about yourself that you didn't blow a gazillion bucks on clubs taht frustrate you.

I still can't be bothered to dump a load (of money) into my clubs.......well, except my woods. :whistle:

You may want to invest some money, but don't go in over your head if you're getting started. I had some kid today at the local country club at the driving range lose the head of his club when he was following through. The clubs were used and it was his second wood he broke. So definately, don't buy used if you're going to go first set - you'll just **** money down the drain. Although once you find your style, swing, etc.. you can build your set around your style.

I read an article in one of the golf magazines that golf is about the only sport where you truly can "buy a better game". Better quality clubs will invariably help your game, so go with the best you can afford. It's still not worth going into hock for life just to pick up the biggest, baddest set out there, but it's also not worth wasting $300 on crap sticks that will just end up frustrating the heck out of you and causing you to give up on a very rewarding hobby. Just my $.02.

No, not at all. Their irons aren't as good as their drivers, but I'm sure they'd be fine for starting out. Also, look into used clubs. It's so easy to find some yuppy to tried to take up golf and got discouraged, so he's selling off a set of TaylorMade clubs for half of retail. Check ebay, or your local papers. Sometimes you can get lucky at the local pawn shops as well.

I read an article in one of the golf magazines that golf is about the only sport where you truly can "buy a better game". Better quality clubs will invariably help your game, so go with the best you can afford. It's still not worth going into hock for life just to pick up the biggest, baddest set out there, but it's also not worth wasting $300 on crap sticks that will just end up frustrating the heck out of you and causing you to give up on a very rewarding hobby. Just my $.02.

586209352[/snapback]

see personally i don't really believe that. it's all mental. new clubs makes you think you have a better game, but you don't. when i was in high school, one of my buddies had this old set of clubs that he used. like actual "wood" woods. my friend crushed a drive off the tee, and then decided to give that old crappy club a try. he crushed that just as good as his first ball.

i think golf is too simple for technology to make a difference. yeah, people are longer, but they aren't always scoring any better.

I'm a scratch player and I highly recommend the Titleist 670s. They are the best irons you can buy in my opinion. They are forged muscle-back blades, provide total workability for the better player, and are played by the best players in the world including Ernie Els. I personally had mine custom built/ordered by my pro at my country club and I recommend you do the same for any clubs that you decide in the future.

Edited by ens_leader1

see personally i don't really believe that.  it's all mental.  new clubs makes you think you have a better game, but you don't.  when i was in high school, one of my buddies had this old set of clubs that he used.  like actual "wood" woods.  my friend crushed a drive off the tee, and then decided to give that old crappy club a try.  he crushed that just as good as his first ball. 

i think golf is too simple for technology to make a difference.  yeah, people are longer, but they aren't always scoring any better.

586211171[/snapback]

To an extent, I agree with you. However, a crappy club will definitely adversely affect your game, whereas a high quality club really can't do anything but help. That doesn't necessarily mean that an inexpensive club is going to be crap, nor that a high-dollar club is going to turn you into Tiger overnight. And, by the way, old != crap. :) I've got a set of wood woods that belonged to my grandfather that hit WAY better than the brand new set I own.

see personally i don't really believe that.  it's all mental.  new clubs makes you think you have a better game, but you don't.  when i was in high school, one of my buddies had this old set of clubs that he used.  like actual "wood" woods.  my friend crushed a drive off the tee, and then decided to give that old crappy club a try.  he crushed that just as good as his first ball. 

i think golf is too simple for technology to make a difference.  yeah, people are longer, but they aren't always scoring any better.

586211171[/snapback]

You bet it is a blend of both. When I upgraded my driver to one of those ridiculously huge 320cc size drivers the sweet spot just about doubled making my ability to hit a good drive that much easier. However, I also play with a $20 lob wedge I picked up from Target and can stick those shots with just about as much skill as the $100 Cleveland sand wedge.

So whil eit won't shave 15 storkes off your game, I do beleiv etha t properly fitted adn matched set will give you the consistancy to knock off a few strokes. But, you still gotta proactice - not play rounds, but PRACTICE.

are you knocking the 100 cleveland wedges? ;)

i couldn't live without my 56 & 60 RTGs :p

i think we can agree that a good swing is key. a bad swing with a good club still won't give you a good shot.

are you knocking the 100 cleveland wedges?  ;)

i think we can agree that a good swing is key.  a bad swing with a good club still won't give you a good shot.

586213774[/snapback]

Agreed. :)

are you knocking the 100 cleveland wedges?  ;)

i think we can agree that a good swing is key.  a bad swing with a good club still won't give you a good shot.

586213774[/snapback]

Not at all as a matter of fact, I HAVE that Cleveland wedge and love it. Nice and rusted over... sweet.

And soft Winn Grips on all the clubs, nothing better.

586213774[/snapback]

That's 100% fact! I've gotten all titanium-based drivers and usually the lightest club with the slightest bit of flex in the shaft is best for me. Shafts with too much flex are not going to work to well (they work good for people with rediculous downswings), while too stiff and you're going to be having to do too much work. I'd demo the clubs before you buy them (like in a store, they should have a demo net or something; try before you buy!)