• Mcafee
    • Kaspersky AVP
    • EZ Trust
    • Trend Micro PC-Cillin
    • Grisoft AVG
    • Panda
    • AntiVir
    • Other

I hope this is in the right place... I was wondering if anyone knew or could find out what antivirus microsoft M$ uses on their machines... i thought it might be mcafee sicne they use taht in hotmail and have mcafee messenger alerts...

Any help would be appreciated. THX in advance

Also can you take my poll

You're Favourite AV program

Given they are bundling McAfee with future versions of windows, I'd guess McAfee.

McAfee's centralised managment console, ePolicy Orchestrator, is pretty powerful, they'd do well to use it.

As far as my 'favorite' av software, I used NAV 2002 at home because it requires little attention.

Which ever of the big players you choose, they will *ALL* perform the same. Any errors or virus's that slip through will be down to user error..badly configured products, and lack of updating.

google for icsa.

thx for that... it's very confusing when several different sites are recommending different favourites...

I think i've narrowed it down to Norton 2002 or Mcafee 6 (prolly 7 if the beta works out well). They seem to be the two most recommended ones.

I cant emphasis enuff how much you need to appreciate the fact that they all perform comparably well.

Make your choice on gui, performance hit, and automation, and ignore any idiots who claim av-A picks up virus's that av-B doesnt.

I've had norton 2002 for ages and it hasn't caused any problems with my system. Use mcafee at work and it has gone wrong a couple of times requiring a reboot to get it working again and it seems to take longer to load so I'de reccomend norton. There isn't really much in it though.

well what i am most concerned about is performance hit and automation... i jsut want to set it and forget it... (automation) but then also not notice its even working... (performance). What is your recommendation considering these 2 points?

Originally posted by Jon

Nav2002.

Fully automated updates, and you can disable on-access scanning with 2 clicks of the mouse (for gaming for example)

yeah for sure it's working great on my machine... never had probs with it and has caught some virus... perfomance wise i think it's stable and dosen't take up to much resources

McAffe .. suck hard on XP boxes !

I tried to install it on a couple of XP boxes ...It installed fine allright, but simply refused to run properly.

It would start to scan and shortly after exit from the program. After numerous E-mails and suggestions fra McAffe .... We gave up and went for NAV Coporate instead.

Never had any problems since.

McAfee's centralised managment console, ePolicy Orchestrator, is pretty powerful, they'd do well to use it.

So is Symantec's Corporate AV solution.I like the way found viruses are automatically submitted to SARC for examination and the fact that all new updates is automatically distrubuted across the LAN/WAN without any user involvement.

Seems Norton is the pick of the bunch... geez! can any1 explain the diff between 2002 and Corp editions? features etc?

Kosh Naranek,

I've deployed McAfee, via ePO, to our entire corporate network.

Installed correctly, with the latest patches, is fine.

'McAffe .. suck hard on XP boxes !'

I dont think its McAfee who sucks..... :right:

(obviously you didnt give it much of a chance, given you cant even spell it correctly.. )

Originally posted by Jon

Kosh Naranek,

I've deployed McAfee, via ePO, to our entire corporate network.

Installed correctly, with the latest patches, is fine.

'McAffe .. suck hard on XP boxes !'

I dont think its McAfee who sucks..... :right:

(obviously you didnt give it much of a chance, given you cant even spell it correctly.. )

I haven't tried the newest version of McAfee but back in Windows 98 and McAfee 4 it caused a lot of problems, but so did Norton. Right now I'm running NAV Corp and its wonderful.

Also bananaman in case you didn't know 7.61 is out, so your AV is outdated ;)

I've read bout that MS gonna include their own anti-virus into the future version of WinXP or is it that their adding McAfee internal anti-virus support? Anyone remember MS own anti-virus during DOS time? How does it fare? As I've not have Internet Connection then, so no virus encounter or has I?

Originally posted by Alvin

I've read bout that MS gonna include their own anti-virus into the future version of WinXP or is it that their adding McAfee internal anti-virus support? Anyone remember MS own anti-virus during DOS time? How does it fare? As I've not have Internet Connection then, so no virus encounter or has I?

They are bundling a lite version of McAfee with new versions of Windows. Yeah I remember MSAV and Vsafe, then they suddenly disappeared. They were probably horrible anyway in terms or quality against the competition.

Originally posted by xiphias

BananaMan - what theme is that? very nice indeed

It's Seer, for WindowBlinds. There's a msstyles port available but I prefer the original.

Also bananaman in case you didn't know 7.61 is out, so your AV is outdated

Hehe, thanks for the heads up. My NAVCE is already at 7.61, the screenshot doesn't reflect that because it was taken ages ago for a similar thread, and it was still on my server so I decided to post it here too.

ok... with norton AV corp...

how do i set it to download updates from another computer? like i have two comps... how do i download the defs on my main comp then have the other one automatically get those defs from my machine rather than off the net?

NAV is the best EVER anti virus, theres no doubt about that

Exactly the kind of narrow mindedness I try to warn people of.

Do you think a comment like that is useful, without futher explanation?

Originally posted by xiphias

ok... with norton AV corp...

how do i set it to download updates from another computer? like i have two comps... how do i download the defs on my main comp then have the other one automatically get those defs from my machine rather than off the net?

whoa dude,

you're talking a couple hundred bucks to get norton AV corp..