[Boxing] New Undisputed Champion..

_41312151_jermain203.jpg

Quoted From BBC Sport

Jermain Taylor caused a sensation in Las Vegas on Saturday night as he beat undisputed world middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins on a split decision.

Hopkins, 40, was champion for 10 years, the third longest reign in boxing history, and was making a record 21st defence against the 26-year-old.

I stayed up to watch this which finished about an hour back..fantastic fight and ends the reign of a brilliant champion..just think the re-match might go hopkins way..you never know :wacko:

Amazing fight.  Hopkins hasn't lost in 12 years.

586227364[/snapback]

I love the past tense :rofl:

Still, I stayed up to watch the match and I wasn't disapointed

This is the only reason I like split decisions. The pretty much guaranteed rematch they create.

I agree, I think Hopkins wins the rematch and retires as the champ.

Hopkins could have won the fight.

Hopkins executed his usual strategy of "size the opponent and wait patiently foropportunities to strike." The problem is Taylor is a damn good fighter, so not to many of those opportunities were around. As Hokpins was doing his usual strategy, in the meantime Taylor was active and without question the aggressor. and Taylor easily won the first 7 rounds.

Hopkins finally started to step it up a little in the 8th round, and then in the 9th round he started to be the aggressor and in my opinion Hopkins definitely won all of those later rounds. However he was never abel to knock Taylor to the canvas. If he did, the other 2 scorecards that were 115-113 would have been 114-114, and it would have been a draw, I think, as a result of that.

Hopkins just kept it on cruise control a little longer than he should have, and then I think he thought he could knock that kis out when he couldn't.

As my first sentence says Hopkins could have won the fight, it is in my opinion his own damn fault that he did not win it.

I myself am a fan of Hopkins, I just personally wished he could have acted a little more like the champion he was, and just admitted to Larry Merchant in the after fight interview that he screwed up. Instead, all he kept doing was expressing fact that in his opinion he won the fight hands down.

My opinion is, neither one of them was entirely impressive of being undisputed middleweight champion. Dont think a split decision is a very good way of earning it. Hopkins screwed up though, he couldve done more. Because of the cut on Taylors head the rematch wont happen on October 1st as planned and will be executed much later. Probably February. Hopkins is still keeping good on his promise to his mom that he wont fight past his 41st birthday. Dont think he will keep his promise though. Expect Hopkins to pull out the win in a rematch. Then head to the light heavyweights and lose out right or stay in the middles and retire champ.

Did anyone get to see the aftermath pics. Looks like Hopkins never got hit. Jermaine however, is a different story. Yeah, Im a little sour, Hopkins is a long time favorite of mine.

Well, I am a huge Jermain Taylor fan and I have been keeping track of every one of his fights. I love his style, I love his attitude and professionalism, and I like how he respects everyone he faces. I was on the edge of my couch even before they entered the ring...I actually was scared of this fight when it was announced. Bernard Hopkins is a great fighter and a great veteran and I thought it was a great opportunity but also a major challenge for Jermain at this point in his career.

Early on, I was surprised at the lack of work Hopkins was doing and was actually really surprised that Jermain was able to get good body shots in. Of course, those who watch Hopkins fights know that he was just waiting for his time, as he ALWAYS does, and in the 8th he started working. He took away Jermain's jab for the most part and was able to get his right in for some good shots in each round after. When the cut appeared on Taylor's head, I began to really get nervous. I had thought Jermain won 7 of the 11 rounds going into the 12th, so it was pretty much down to Hopkins stealing the 12th. Those 7 rounds were the first 6 and the 10th. Well, when they announced the split, I was sure Hopkins got the decision. And after the first judge score was read (116-112 for Hop...wow) I was sure it was a done deal. I couldn't believe the final 2 judges saw it 115-113. Personally, I thought Hopkins won the 12th...which, in most championship fights, is when the biggest impression is made.

But, I agree with DirtyLarry, Hopkins took too long to start his assault. Hopkins did have a great gameplan whereas Jermain was just pretty much doing the same thing each round. If Hopkins had started 1 round earlier he would have won, though. I'm kind of glad the judges looked at the ENTIRE fight and not just the last 3 rounds for once. I know why they keep a close eye on the championship rounds but it's a 12 round fight not 3. Anyway, great bout, you could actually see each guy plotting and strategizing the whole way through. I know alot of people like the slugfests but this was better than that, in my opinion.

HOPKINS WRONGED & MUCH MORE!

HOPKINS-TAYLOR MET THE HYPE!

Regardless of whether you scored the fight correctly for Bernard Hopkins, or scored with my Editor-in-Chief and two out of the three official judges in Vegas, all can agree that Saturday was the sort of fight the middleweight division needed. While no classic, new World champ Jermain Taylor and now-former champ Hopkins engaged in a tough, competitive battle between old and new that has fueled the best kind of barbershop debate, rematch speculation and mainstream attention. Along with all that, just as Marvin Hagler's disputed loss to "Sugar Ray" Leonard kicked off a golden era of middleweight fighting (1987-1995), Saturday's bout puts on the cusp of a new super era at 160.

FIRST TO THE SCORING!

Even though some have called Saturday's decision a robbery, I must disagree. While I think the decision was wrong, nothing criminal happened (outside of Duane Ford’s scoring the 12th for Taylor...more on that shortly). As Boston Globe writer Ron Borges pointed out today, 17 of 20 boxing writers on Press Row pegged Hopkins a winner. HBO analysts Roy Jones and Max Kellerman also favored the future Hall of Famer. My card...I had Hopkins up 7 rounds to 5 with Taylor blowing a big early lead (5 rounds to 2) by being swept from the 8th to the 12th on my card. Furthermore, Taylor won rounds close on many cards with all those flurries hitting the air in front of Hopkins while, especially in the last four rounds. I thought Hopkins beat the youngster up by landing his shots (and the punchstats are clear on that point). So while I can see arguments on both sides, and can articulate why my side is right, Duane Ford makes the official decision hard to defend.

FORD HAD A CAR CRASH NIGHT!

Duane Ford scored the twelfth round for Jermain Taylor and it was that round on his card that allowed the title to change hands. Just how bad, how unbelievably horrendous is that piece of scoring? For the record it's not as insipid or evil as Jose Guerra's 118-110 card for Ray Leonard over Marvin Hagler...but it is so bad that Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Marc Ratner released a statement that he will review the round with Ford because "from my vantage point...there is no question Bernard won the 12th round." In Nevada-speak that means "damn, that was really dumb Duane." Can't say Ford was malicious (he was the guy who scored both Barrera-Morales I and Paulie Ayala-Bones Adams I right) but we can say it cost a man with ten years and 21 title defenses a draw and his crown. Hopkins deserved no less!

GOLD RUSH AT MIDDLEWEIGHT!

So yes, Hopkins was wronged Saturday...but is it really so bad? It was a close fight with cards on both sides of the debate all within about two points of each other; it has people talking; and it sets off a hell of a run for middleweight. It's been a decade since the division was this stacked. After Hopkins finishes what he started in the rematch with Taylor (and he will!), both men will have a field made up of current middles and rising junior middles to contend with. Talented fighters like Winky Wright, Felix Sturm, Fernando Vargas, Ike Quartey, Kingsley Ikeke and Sam Soliman are already established as threats. Last Thursday, Roman Karmazin upset rising star Kasim Ouma for the IBF 154-lb. title in a compelling fight that left both men looking the part of future middleweight juggernaut. Saturday night in Germany, Artur Abraham defeated veteran Howard Eastman to emerge as a top ten threat. Had the close decision Saturday gone to Hopkins, he likely goes up in weight. Instead, he now will remain to shine a light on what quietly has become one of the most exciting weight divisions in boxing. And did I mention that quality fighters Joe Calzaghe, Mikkel Kessler and Jeff Lacy are only slightly southward at 168 pounds? Yeah, the middleweights are back!

NEWS FOR NAVARRO FROM JAPAN'S SUPERFIGHT!

In a rare "superfight" for Japanese boxing, Masamori Tokuyama (31-3-1, 8 KO's) regained the World title at 115 lbs. on Monday with a wide unanimous decision over Katsushige Kawashima (28-4, 18 KO's) in their anticipated rubber match. While I won't see the fight until mid-week, I can say immediately that this creates an interesting challenge for 2000 US Olympian Jose Navarro. The January 2005 robbery he experienced against Kawashima would have been easier to avenge than Tokuyama will be to defeat. Tokuyama is no puncher but he is an awkward boxer and frankly a better skilled fighter than Kawashima. Navarro, who is mandated to receive the first crack at Tokuyama, he will need to be better in his second title shot if he wants to be the World champion of the best division no one is watching

"24-KARAT" NOTEBOOK

It's nice to see Max Kellerman working the airwaves for HBO. After a year where he lost both his brother and his show on Fox Sports, his enthusiasm for the game remains. He's also a breath of fresh air, refusing to join in the cheerleading section that can be HBO Sports. Following his loss to Taylor, Boxing Talk's Greg Leon dropped Hopkins to tenth on his pound for pound list behind guys like Zab Judah and Ricky Hatton. I guess it's great to play with your member. Anyone else wonder how much Karmazin outweighed Ouma by during the fight last Thursday? Anyone think it's become criminal to allow weigh-ins the day before the fight? The purchase of the September doubleheader of Erik Morales-Zahir Raheem and Manny Pacquiao-Hector Velasquez is a slap in the face to HBO network subscribers who have been forced in 2005 to turn to Showtime if they want to see a big fight for less than $50.

Cliff Rold

via Cliff Rold from RingTalk.com

Hopkins files appeal!

Bernard Hopkins has filed an appeal to the Nevada Athletic Commission for a review and reconsideration of the decision of last Saturday night's middleweight championship bout against Jermain Taylor. Hopkins appeal is based on the rules governing the Nevada Athletic Commission and the scoring of the 12th round for Taylor by veteran judge Duane Ford. In addition Hopkins has sent a letter to the WBA requesting a review of the scoring and an immediate rematch pursuant to the rules of the organization. Hopkins is considering similar appeals to the WBC and IBF.

Probably losing that type of twelve year record over such a close fight is terrible for legacies. Dont get me wrong either, Jermaine is a really good fighter that I enjoy watching. Dont think I missed any fights that were broadcasted over television. But dang, he really wasnt that good against Bernard even after watching the fight again. You just dont pass the undisputed title along without dominating someone especially earned on a split decision.

Probably losing that type of twelve year record over such a close fight is terrible for legacies. Dont get me wrong either, Jermaine is a really good fighter that I enjoy watching. Dont think I missed any fights that were broadcasted over television. But dang, he really wasnt that good against Bernard even after watching the fight again. You just dont pass the undisputed title along without dominating someone especially earned on a split decision.

586249388[/snapback]

I will agree with that comment, however, now that I see Hopkins is appealing is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. He decided to leave it to the scoring and the judges, period. He could have won that fight hands down if he would have shown up for the first 6 rounds...it wouldn't even have come to a SD it would have been a UD. It was his gameplan to let the judges determine the winner, and if anyone thinks otherwise then they haven't watched many Hopkins fights.

I don't know, personally for him to appeal is ridiculous. I have no idea what his thoughts were early on in the fight either...at the opening bell he came out charging at Jermain and then just backed off for the next 5 rounds...made no sense at all. And like you said, that wasn't the full Jermain Taylor that we saw either. :wacko:

sure b-hop was a great champion but im glad he lost because now his ( amazing ) 10 year reighn but he will soon get it back i think but as for now jermain is on top :)

I will agree with that comment, however, now that I see Hopkins is appealing is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

586251374[/snapback]

Thats my thought as well but I believe its something thats done almost always in a close decision. Its been echoed that nothing will probably come of it.