Newbie Question: Windows XP Connection sharing, the client can't acces

My brother and I both have two computers networked, both running windows XP. We share a connection via LAN with windows XP's Internet Connection Sharing. The firewall is turned off, but my brother (I'm the host) cannot access data transfers via FTP, or he cannot send files via MSN or DCC. Is this a windows XP "feature"? can it be disabled or worked around in any way? it's pretty annoying him having to ask me to send a file every time he wants to share something.

TIA anyway.

Normal man, because, for example, a fserv. When u try to get it, the fserv also tries to connect to u; but he can't; cauz when he connects, he connects to the Internet Connection Sharing server! (The one with the internet connection).

This will be the same for many things:

- Servers (HTTP, FTP,...)

- Some FTPs

- All IRC Ident/DCC chat-send

And I maybe forget some...

All this because the client computers of the Internet Connection sharing have the same IP as their ICS server.

Pay a little: ask yur isp to have more ips and buy at least a Hub, or a router! :)

Originally posted by MikeS2k

My brother and I both have two computers networked, both running windows XP. We share a connection via LAN with windows XP's Internet Connection Sharing. The firewall is turned off, but my brother (I'm the host) cannot access data transfers via FTP, or he cannot send files via MSN or DCC. Is this a windows XP "feature"? can it be disabled or worked around in any way? it's pretty annoying him having to ask me to send a file every time he wants to share something.

TIA anyway.

ENABLE PASSIVE FTP, IN INTERNET EXPLORER AND ANYWHERE ELSE YOU USE FTP APPLICATIONS

Yea if you get a router you can then go into its config settings and there will be an advanced section called "virtual server" where you can do a process called "mapping ports" which will solve to problem, i had this problem myself a while back.