Make Windows XP as fast as Longhorn

PCMark, like any other benchmark program is only "reliable"** if run in an environment that is completely empty, without any non-essential programs running in the background, no network connection - nothing that might in any possible way interfere with the test results. And even then variations exist due to numerous reasons.

** A benchmark can never be truly reliable, I know.

Has anyone tried this patch on Windows 2003 Server (since Longhorn is build from W2K3 code) ? Perhaps some M$ programer added "easter egg" to kernel code...

Has anyone tried this patch on Windows 2003 Server (since Longhorn is build from W2K3 code) ? Perhaps some M$ programer added "easter egg" to kernel code...

586257765[/snapback]

Microsoft do not have easter eggs anoymore in any of their new applications as they are not allowed undocumented features if they want govenments to continue using their software.

Microsoft do not have easter eggs anoymore in any of their new applications as they are not allowed undocumented features if they want govenments to continue using their software.

586258307[/snapback]

Maybe they have SuperUndocumented options? :rofl:

Just read this at http://bink.nu/

So apparently it doesn't work.

586253915[/snapback]

looking at this post

Inquirer "Superfetch" story is crap

Posted By Bink on July 22, 2005 at 4:10 PM

Iquirer posted a story called: 'Longhorn's most useful feature "leaked "as XP tweak' stating that the Windows Vista (longhorn) new superfetch feature is also available in Windows XP.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

you will notice in windows xp

EnablePrefetcher = 3 and you will notice in windows longhorn

EnableSuperfetch = 1

Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed.

So I checked with Windows internals guru Mark Russinovich, he said this won't work, "SuperFetch" string isn't even in the kernel (check with strings.exe)

it makes sense, if the SuperFetch is not even IN the kernetl check list, then what this actually must do is pretty much disables the prefetcher of XP.

that must be what speeds up my load and shut down times. i deleted the old key and replaced itwith the EnableSuperfetch=1 and then cleared my Prefetch Folder. Rebooted and suddenly everything ran super fast!

ihad an inkling that maybe it was because of he clearing of the Prefetch Folder. but that wasnt the case, cause i had already tried to boot without the changed key after i cleared the Prefetch. there is indeed a speed increase in the boot and shutdown times. during use i did not notice much difference.

result: inconclusive evidence. :D

Rebooted and suddenly everything ran super fast!

ihad an inkling that maybe it was because of he clearing of the Prefetch Folder. but that wasnt the case, cause i had already tried to boot without the changed key after i cleared the Prefetch.

The first boot after clearing the prefetch folder will be dreadfully slow. After the first boot has occured the prefetch folder gets updated so the second boot is where you'll notice the speed increase because it has the startup files prefetched and a lot of older prefetched entries no longer exist. The speed increase you are experiencing is from the updated prefetch directory, not from the registry change.

Okay, I did it ... and ... I also did a Benchmark for all of you to proof if it's true or it's just a placebo ...

Here comes the results ...

post-24-1121961926.jpgpost-24-1121961946.jpg

The Final Reg-Entry has to look like this Attachment ...

Be sure to use "PrefetchParameters" instead of "Prefetcher" at the end of the tree.

586253900[/snapback]

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that you did not reboot your machine between benchmarks and you did not bother averaging several runs, right? Rebooting is important because the hard drive itself has a cache and if you're just accessing the same files again then it would be extremely quick and would throw off the benchmark. Also, benchmarking usually results in some very different numbers just by chance so it is important to average at least 3 runs (rebooting between each run.)

I created the EnableSuperfetch entry in the registry where it told me to and set the value to 1. I then loaded RegMon and told it to log all registry activity when I reboot. After rebooting, I opened up regmon's log and did a "Find" on it, EnableSuperfetch was not read or used!

Therefore, I can only conclude that this is 100% bogus and any performance increases are from pure chance or pure imagination.

The first boot after clearing the prefetch folder will be dreadfully slow. After the first boot has occured the prefetch folder gets updated so the second boot is where you'll notice the speed increase because it has the startup files prefetched and a lot of older prefetched entries no longer exist. The speed increase you are experiencing is from the updated prefetch directory, not from the registry change.

586259511[/snapback]

actually the first boot after cleaning out of the prefetch is blazingly fast

I created the EnableSuperfetch entry in the registry where it told me to and set the value to 1. I then loaded RegMon and told it to log all registry activity when I reboot. After rebooting, I opened up regmon's log and did a "Find" on it, EnableSuperfetch was not read or used!

Therefore, I can only conclude that this is 100% bogus and any performance increases are from pure chance or pure imagination.

586259667[/snapback]

Thats what I think. Why in the heck would microsoft not enable in this in the first place in Windows XP? I dont see why they just work to put these featuers in XP, if they are not going to enable them?

And how do we know that Microsoft is using this as the ONLY method of speeding up Vista?

586261001[/snapback]

true

i think this might indeed be bogus because the regmon log results show that no such entry is even read!

so i guess just cleaning out your prefetch dir once every 2 months keeps your windows speedy

Ok, so we know this is just another useless thread that gets people's attention.. how about closing it?

586261706[/snapback]

If the thread bothers you so much, why don?t you just get out of it and ignore it altogether? Instead of posting your wanna be moderator aspiration for all of us to see?

Neowin is well moderated. If all the closing thread requests were allowed, there would be just a bunch of closed thread all over...

Just a thought...

;);)

Fake

Iquirer posted a story called: 'Longhorn's most useful feature "leaked "as XP tweak' stating that the Windows Vista (longhorn) new superfetch feature is also available in Windows XP.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

you will notice in windows xp

EnablePrefetcher = 3 and you will notice in windows longhorn

EnableSuperfetch = 1

Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed.

So I checked with Windows internals guru http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/, he said this won't work, "SuperFetch" string isn't even in the kernel (check with http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Strings.html)

586261001[/snapback]

If the prefetch folder is filled to the brink with useless files and only a few relevant files then it will be faster after the next boot (and even faster on the boot after that one.) However, if the prefetch folder contained mostly relevant files then erasing it would show a slowdown.

I read about that's not implemented in XP .. but it's subjective faster and my benches give me a higher score .. so who cares .. it's better for me. Placebo or no placebo .. slight improvements were done.