Planning on Building Computer

I'm thinking of building a new computer, but I have a few questions:

What Athlon (non 64-bit) processor would be equivilant to a Pentium 4 3.6ghz or higher?

What reasons make 64 processors better than 32-bit?

* Are all 32-bit programs compatible with a 64-bit processor?

* If not, how do I tell which are? (As in when buying software/games.)

My computer will have the following:

* Two 250gb harddrives.

* 1gb RAM, but want the capacity to have 2, preferrably 4 slots?

* A video card that will easily play Battlefield 2, don't know which does that.

Everything else isn't that important.

What motherboard will support such a processor, two harddrives, up to 2gb RAM, and video card?

P.S. - I'm not sure whether the card should be AGP or PCI, not sure the difference, but I just need something that will work with the same motherboard and run B2.

I'm thinking of building a new computer, but I have a few questions:

What Athlon (non 64-bit) processor would be equivilant to a Pentium 4 3.6ghz or          higher?

What reasons make 64 processors better than 32-bit?

* Are all 32-bit programs compatible with a 64-bit processor?

* If not, how do I tell which are? (As in when buying software/games.)

* Two 250gb harddrives.

What motherboard will support such a processor, two harddrives, up to 2gb RAM, and video card?

P.S. - I'm not sure whether the card should be AGP or PCI, not sure the difference, but I just need something that will work with the same motherboard and run B2.

586259628[/snapback]

The AMD64 core provides leading-edge 32-bit performance and support for future 64-bit applications

* AMD64 technology provides full-speed support for x86 code base for uncompromising 32-bit performance, ready for 64-bit applications

With AMD64 technology, the AMD Athlon 64 processor is fully compatible with existing software, while enabling a seamless transition to 64-bit applications. Both 32- and 64-bit applications can run virtually simultaneously and transparently on the same platform. AMD64 technology enables new, cinematic computing experiences and capabilities, in addition to increased performance. AMD64 technology allows end users to take advantage of new innovations such as real-time encryption, more life-like games, accurate speech interfaces, cinema-quality graphic effects, and easy-to-use video and audio editing.

dpending on budget ide geta GeForce 7800GTX card or the 7800GT when it is out and they are both PCIE witch is the newest graphcis interface. those 2 cards be the best for BF2 and futre games.

The most expensive card out as of now is the 7800GTX however the most bang for your buck cards are the 6800 or the 6800GTo x800Pro X800Xl. if they are too expensive then the 6600GT is also a fair deal.

* Two 250gb harddrives.

586259628[/snapback]

In order to run Battlefield 2 with high texture detail you need 2GB of RAM. With only 1GB running high texture detail you will notice black objects whilst the missing textures/objects are being loaded into RAM - this looks awful. As for a graphics card, my X800XL plays it great.

As for PCIe vs AGP: if you are buying a graphics card and motherboard together then you should always go for PCIe, as this allows you better opportunities for upgrading in the future.

Probably the 4000+ is equivilent.

586259867[/snapback]

Not with gaming, as the P4 is lacking in this area. A 3500+ would be most comparable to a 3.6GHz.

if you can afford it, get a pci-e compatible motherboard, and if I may suggest, get one with SLi support, so further ahead n hte future you can pop a second nvidia in to that baby instead of replacing the whole video card.

something like the DFI ultra-D or SLi-D or SLi-DR, the difference between SLI- and SLI-DR is that D has 4 SATA ports and DR has 8.

I say get yourself a 6800gt, it ocs like a charm and it works SLI, an AMD 3700 San Diego, 1 Gb of low latency ram will be much better than 2Gb of bad RAM. as for the Hard drives, two maxtor diamond max 10 with a 16mb buffer and SATA 150.

those are some of the best bang for the buck components available for public

edit: and by the way, divide the pentium speed by 4, that will give you the actual processor speed, for AMD divide by 2, its complicated, but that is how you know the processor's real speed

so a Pentium 4 3.6, would be an equiva?ent of an AMD (non 64bit) 1.8, the 3500 is better than the pentium 3.6 since it is 64bit, a 3500 venice is equivalent to a pentium 4 4.4Ghz

Yes I agree with Mikeboy to some extent, get a mobo that supports PCIe and SLI, but no, dont get a DFI lanparty unless you are into crazy OC.

Asus A8N-SLI Premium is the way :p

The way to blow up your PC? Really? And when you feed your RAM off the 5v rail hmm :shifty:

Vote for Asus in the 64 bit section, thats what Mikeboy meant :p

the premium is good the day to day boring old same thing every day use, the DFI has awesome all over it! even the name means gamer!

anyways, what is your budget? maybe we can help you choose here at neowin

Yes I agree with Mikeboy to some extent, get a mobo that supports PCIe and SLI, but no, dont get a DFI lanparty unless you are into crazy OC.

Asus A8N-SLI Premium is the way :p

586260242[/snapback]

DFIs are fine out of the box w/o o/cing. It is perfectly stable. You and your damn ASUS.. :happy: