[NHL] Teams can start buying out contracts

Between today and July 29, teams can buy out contracts. The Flyers is the first team to buy out contracts. They bought out contracts of Tony Amonte and John LeClair. They would have made over $10 million after the 24% roll back of salaries. Now the Flyers will save close to $9 million next season. As they are one of the few teams that have to get under the $39 million salary cap.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2114888

The Leafs were expected to buy out Owen Nolan but now he's claiming that he's injured and will need surgery. I mean, hey, if you were injured then shouldn't you have had it done when last season was written off?

I think his medical condition is expected to complicate the buyout. He could remain off the official payroll for this coming season if he gets the surgery but then his huge contract would be in place for next year and the Leafs would have to deal with that then.

i'm a little confused by all this...where are these big named players supposed to go? the cap seems pretty low, or is that just me? are they just expected to take less money, or will teams actually be able to fit them somewhere?

i'm a little confused by all this...where are these big named players supposed to go?  the cap seems pretty low, or is that just me?  are they just expected to take less money, or will teams actually be able to fit them somewhere?

586261239[/snapback]

Owen Nolan, for example, was expected to be bought out of his $6 million per season deal. He was expected to resign for under $1 million per season. The value of these types of players has dropped dramatically.

Nolan Injury Clouds Leafs' Buyout Plan:

http://torontosun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2...142760-sun.html