Linux Mandrake 7

I tried to use Linux Mandrake 7 on my 400 MHz machine, but all I could get was a text-like prompt (I know nothing about Linux, by the way). Do any of you have any ideas as to what is going on. I know on an older machine, I could actually get to a GUI on the first boot, but after that, no luck. Thanks guys.

I'm guessing the prompt you're talking about is the console. Let me get something straight here. Linux is NOT an Operating System. It's a kernel. It doesn't have any GUI or what so ever. But people combine this kernel with different other application and make up a distribution. That's why they're many different different distribution of Linux you see out there. All of them is based on different/same Linux kernel and different version of different software. Software + Kernel(Linux) = GNU/Linux. You can call GNU/Linux an OS. :) Now you can get a GUI by installing X-Windows which is included in your Mandrake CD. For a beginner, I'd suggest you try to re-install with "FULL" or "Normal" mode. After you've learn more about Linux, you might want to try to do a Custom installing, or even LFS (Linux From Scratch) :D I know I didn't answer your question, but I hope I've helped you to understand the structure of Linux better. :D G'luck.

I think it depends on the idiot.

Originally posted by YahoKa

You should really get Mandrake 8.x too.. it's installer is idiot proof (ok, well no QUITE, but its easier than the windows installer, put it that way.)