Too much attention for Danica?

http://msn.foxsports.com/motor/story/3827644

"According to a report in the Indianapolis Star, four Andretti Green Racing's drivers ? Indianapolis 500 winner and IRL points leader Dan Wheldon, defending IRL champion Tony Kanaan, Dario Franchitti and Bryan Herta ? boycotted a mandatory autograph session Saturday night at the Wisconsin State Fair Park because organizers of the fan-friendly event created a different waiting line for Patrick."

they should be thankful they are getting the coverage they are. if it wasn't for her, very few people would care for the IRL outside of the 500.

what do they want?

Danica: "please get autographs from the other drivers"

if people wanted their autograph then they will get in their lines, so she has her own line, doesnt mean that she is better, she is a great racer who people are talking about now, give her her time in the spotlight just like they had.

She does get alot of attention. She can crash out of the race finish last and get more attention then the winner, even if the race was great.

hmm...now I remember why... yep yeah

Edited by dj6ross

did anyone catch wheldon mocking/joking around during danica's interview before the race on sunday? he came up behind the reporter and put his head on her shoulder, and smiled really widely...i guess they are pretty desperate for some face time. although i think she was the only driver the interviewed before the race...

She's making your sport relevant and bringing people who would have NEVER cared into discussions about it. Shut up and accept it. Tiger did the same for golf and obviously in the long-run that worked out. If it weren't for her you wouldn't even be able to get attention for acting asininely.

This happens in all sports. You didn't see women's tennis complaining when Anna Kournikova got all the pub. And she was just an average player. At least Danica is good driver and potential champion.

kinda like golf too, with anika and michelle playing with the boys. they didni't finish last in those tournaments, and danica doesn't finish last in those races. you know it must get under their skin being beaten by a girl ;)

I remember Tiger got similar treatment when he came onto the PGA. There was alot of discontent for him...but now look, golf is taking off like a jet and now they have multi-million dollar purses and even the non-major events are garnering alot of TV and media time.

Wheldon is a cocky ******. He made a comment to a magazine back in England that he is more known than David Beckham...yeah, right buddy. Beckham has had a movie named after him, I don't see a "Turn It Like Wheldon" coming out anytime soon. All I know is I remember watching Bobby Rahal back in the Al Unser, Jr. days and I gained alot of respect for Rahal during that period. If he believes in Danica as much as he shows, then no, there's not too much coverage of her.

Then again, MJ did draft Kwame, so what do I know? :rofl:

did anyone catch wheldon mocking/joking around during danica's interview before the race on sunday?  he came up behind the reporter and put his head on her shoulder, and smiled really widely...i guess they are pretty desperate for some face time.  although i think she was the only driver the interviewed before the race...

586272369[/snapback]

I don't mean to come across as rude, but it seems to me you're really not paying attention to the situation at all if you think they're trying to get face time... because Wheldon gets a ton of attention as it is, and he's just a guy that likes to joke around.

I think they've put up with it too long as it is... why should she be getting all this attention? Because she's a female? Who cares! Is it good for the sport that she's in it? Yes. But that doesn't mean that everyone else should mistreat and poorly handle the other drivers.

Tell me -- is there any reason why she should have a differnet autograph line? That's just a slap in the face. If you were in the same situation I'm sure you'd be upset, too. Anytime there's an autograph session like that for sports teams, bands, movie stars, etc. they're normally all at the same table with the same line. How is her sitting with them rude to her at all? Answer: it's not. But her getting her own line and being treated better than the other drivers is certainly rude to them.

I think everyone here (and this is just my opinion) is jumping to Danica's defense for the EXACT reason that's being debated here: she's getting the media attention! You all are just listening to the media push her about how much of an amazing driver she is, and everyone in the public thinks she's the best thing since sliced bread. I root for her to get a win as much as anyone, but she shouldn't be getting this attention without a win... you can't compare this to Tiger -- he was dominating, Danica is merely doing alright.

Nobody was watching the IRL before she came in...they need to suck it up and realize she's making them more money.

I don't mean to come across as rude, but it seems to me you're really not paying attention to the situation at all if you think they're trying to get face time... because Wheldon gets a ton of attention as it is, and he's just a guy that likes to joke around.

I think they've put up with it too long as it is... why should she be getting all this attention? Because she's a female? Who cares! Is it good for the sport that she's in it? Yes. But that doesn't mean that everyone else should mistreat and poorly handle the other drivers.

Tell me -- is there any reason why she should have a differnet autograph line? That's just a slap in the face. If you were in the same situation I'm sure you'd be upset, too. Anytime there's an autograph session like that for sports teams, bands, movie stars, etc. they're normally all at the same table with the same line. How is her sitting with them rude to her at all? Answer: it's not. But her getting her own line and being treated better than the other drivers is certainly rude to them.

I think everyone here (and this is just my opinion) is jumping to Danica's defense for the EXACT reason that's being debated here: she's getting the media attention! You all are just listening to the media push her about how much of an amazing driver she is, and everyone in the public thinks she's the best thing since sliced bread. I root for her to get a win as much as anyone, but she shouldn't be getting this attention without a win... you can't compare this to Tiger -- he was dominating, Danica is merely doing alright.

586275974[/snapback]

danica is merely doing alright against GUYS though. tiger is a guy playing guys.

why does she need her own line? because 3 out of 4 people are only gonna want her autograph. that way, the few people who actually care about the other drivers won't have to wait in such a long line.

i would understand if the other drivers were all hugely popular before hand, and now nobody cares, but it's not the case. nobody cared about them before, and nobody cares about them now. they are just drinkin too much haterade.

Oh no, I understand what you're saying completely... but I still don't think it matters that she's a female. If anything, she has an advantage because of her weight (people got mad at Robby Gordon for saying she should be banned... and I agree with them -- she shouldn't be banned, but it is obviously an advantage, just like a smaller guy riding a horse is an advantage).

I simply don't see the point in parading her around simply because she's a woman. What disadvantage does she face because she's a female? I don't see any possible physical disadvantage at all... because racing doesn't require much in the terms of physical strengths!

And, if 3 out of 4 people are going to want her autograph, why can't those 3 people stay in the same line with the others -- if your logic is correct, then they are only waiting a little bit longer. I don't see the logic behind this, personally -- how is it hard to keep her in the same line? I just don't see what you mean at all.

No offense, but your last paragraph defines why this is bad for the sport.

And, if 3 out of 4 people are going to want her autograph, why can't those 3 people stay in the same line with the others -- if your logic is correct, then they are only waiting a little bit longer. I don't see the logic behind this, personally -- how is it hard to keep her in the same line? I just don't see what you mean at all.

No offense, but your last paragraph defines why this is bad for the sport.

586278212[/snapback]

the whole point was for the people who didn't want her autograph, that way they wouldn't have to wait behind all the people who want hers.

i dunno, as much as my last paragraph in my last post sucks...from my POV it's true. i never watched more than 10 minutes of the indy 500. this year i watched the whole 500, and 2 other races. and i know a lot of people are the same way.

i think the sooner the guys embrace her, understand that things are gonna be this way, the sooner the situation will improve. there's nothing she can do to stop it, no reason she should try to stop it. be thankful for most likely your largest audience ever, and try to make a few more fans.

I think the seperate line issue is being looked at wrong. If you had Michael Jordan at a table with John Paxson, Bill Cartwright, BJ Armstrong, and Jud Beuchler, wouldn't you expect a little logistical thinking in the way an autograph session is designed? Most people wouldn't care about having Bill Cartwright's signature, so why make them stand in the same line?

I don't think racing is set up or is exciting when it's dominated by one particular driver every damn weekend. It gets boring. Look at F1 now, before you knew Schumacher would win a race, now he's on a bit of a losing spot and F1 has become really exciting again. My point is that I think the hype for Danica is more for hope. Once she wins a race or two, then the casual followers will be "Oh, good for her, now what was I doing before" while the more dedicated fans will concentrate on her racing team or go back to the driver they followed before. Hell, there are Danica haters out there, no question. If you are a Tony Kanaan or Dan Wheldon fan, you don't want her to win. But alot of people are curious to see if she can do it. I think that's what is happening with Michelle Wie right now. Once she wins a couple of tournaments, ESPN will start focusing on other younger golfers.

I just don't see what is so wrong about this. Casual viewers don't care about Dan Wheldon, Tony Kanaan, Paul Tracy, or anyone else except for Danica. But, those guys might get some followers out of this, is that a bad thing? There are people who hate Tiger so they have become Vijay Singh fans or Phil Mickelson fans. It seems like die-hard IRL fans are afraid of their sport growing or something.

By now it should be completely obvious to me that the guys of the IRL are whiners. Plus, they're obviously not too smart because if they were they would realize she is helping to make the sport more popular. And that means more money in the long run to the drivers. Before this incident the male drivers were complaining about her having an unfair advantage because she is so light weight. It's ridiculous. They guys are acting like 8 year old cry babies and they should be completely humiliated and ashamed of themselves. They need to get over it and race. Besides, she should be getting most of the media attention. She's competing in a male dominated sport. This doesn't happen often at all, especially when it comes to racing. She may not have won a race yet, but she is doing well. She's run up front and has qualified well. She even has a pole or two.

She does get alot of attention. She can crash out of the race finish last and get more attention then the winner, even if the race was great.

hmm...now I remember why... yep yeah

586272351[/snapback]

holy sh** , she looks really hot it those pics

and btw she's actually giving the sport some attention, otherwise nobody wants to see f1 car race by constantly :x

• 2 months later...